This garden will mark a couple of firsts for me. It is the first garden I will have grown from completely reclaimed soil and compost. It is also the first time I will be growing landrace strains. I know it's not a good idea to try to change too many things at one time, but my reclaimed soil has been doing better than expected with my other house plants and well...landraces!!! I mean c'mon!!

So let's break this down and get started on the Fall garden and journal.

Strains

See, My Organic Garden: Part 1 - Strains, for more details on the strains if you're curious.

• Texada Timewarp (Hybrid)
    • Sativa Dominant
    • Two mother plants.
      • TXTW#1
      • TXTW#3

[*]Not planning on taking cuttings from the mothers until I'm ready to start my Spring garden.

[*]Toxic Blue 33 (Hybrid)

• Indica Dominant
    • One seed only (feminized). Freebie / UFO from Attitude
      • Toxic Blue #1

[*]South African Kwazulu (Landrace)

• 100% Sativa
    • Five Seeds
      • SA Kwazulu 1-5

[*]Afghan Kush (Landrace)

• 100% Indica
    • Five Seeds
      • A Kush 1-5

[*]Purps (could be Chocolope...someone forgot to label his seed bags :fie: )

• Indica / Sativa
    • Five Seeds
      • Purps 1-5

Grow Info

See, My Organic Garden: Part 2 - Grow Areas, Soil, and Nutrients, for more details if you're curious.

• Grow Meda: Soil
    • See the link above for the soil mix I use.

[*]Containers

• 5gal cloth containers for TXTW#1 and TXTW#3
    • Starting seeds in 3" plastic containers
    • Transplant females that will be taken to flower in 1gal cloth containers
      • might use 3gal, but tent area may restrict the size to 1gal

[*]Grow Area: 7'x7'x7' tent

[*]Light (fan cooled and vented out of tent)

• Veg Cycle ( 16:8 )
      • 1000w Hortiluxe MH Universal

[*]Flower Cycle ( 12:12 )

• Plan is to use a 1000w HPS. Haven't decided on which one to use yet.

[*]Nutrients: compost tea (home brew)

[*]Exhale C02 bag

[*]10000 BTU Portable A/C (vented out of the tent)

[*]Avg Temp: 80*F

Garden Goals

Living in the buckle of the Bible Belt it gets hot, rrrreal hot in the summer. Even though this summer has been "cooler" than last summer, we've still remained in the upper 90's and had several weeks of 103*F +/- days. Going into the summer I had three Texada Timewarp mothers. One of which was pretty poor quality (most likely due to my over zealous gardening attempts) so I tossed her. I also had two Kali Mist mothers. Even though Kali Mist is a Sativa dominant strain, these girls didn't make it through the summer heat. What is interesting is of the two Texada Timewarp mothers that are remain, TXTW#1 proved herself to be very heat tolerant. TXTW#3 is stable and growing well, but not as strong as TXTW#1.

How does all that relate to my garden goals?

Well, my next step is to start a breeding program. I'm planning on using TXTW#1 as a mother and hoping her heat tolerance will be a trait that will be transferred to the new child strain. Jury is still out on which strain will get to be the proud father (landrace maybe....)

So aside from using a TXTW#1 clone for a parernt mother, my underlying goals are:

• Isolate 1-2 P1 Mothers from each strain
  • Isolate 1-2 P1 Fathers from each strain
  • Observe and evaluate growth characteristics of each strain
    • Yea, I'm a nerd (but aren't most of us here all nerds about this shit anyway). Hell, I even keep a hand written log where I track the moiture level of each plant, when watered and how much, when fed and how much, date, temp, and time. I even go so far as to transfer this data to a spreadsheet where I can make nifty charts showing things like how frequently each plant gets watered over time compared to temp and container size.
    • Collecting this data allows me to track trends for each plant and general trends for each strain. I can then use this data to make adjustments specific to each individual plant.

[*]Document smoke characteristics (arouma, flavor, type of high, etc)

[*]Take cuttings from parents and prep for Spring garden.

[*]Plan for Summer '14 to be veg only.

...and now on to the updates!

Germination: Day 0 (17-AUG-2013) - Seeds in the soil

• Prepped and cleaned the tent.
  • Started seeds in soil.
  • Transplanted TXTW#1 and TXTW#3 into 5gal cloth containers
  • Watered all plants with home brewed compost tea
  • Light cycle 16:8 (off during the hottest part of the day)

Germination: Day 3 (20-AUG-2013)

• checking tent 3+ times per day
  • misting / watering seeds daily (checking soil moisture level to make sure I don't drown 'em)
  • Avg Temp: 80*F

Germination: Day 4 (21-AUG-2013)

Nobody has poked their head out of the soil yet so I thought I'd share some pics...

Photo 1: Garden Overview (nerd alert...yes, each label has the plant name on one side and the date planted / cloned on the other)

gallery_30122_1134_995975.jpg

Photo 2: TXTW#1

gallery_30122_1134_796878.jpg

Photo 3: Waiting for seedlings is painful!!

gallery_30122_1134_340678.jpg

Photo 4: TXTW#1 Close up

gallery_30122_1134_196172.jpg

• Like 1

Garden Update [27-Aug-2013]

It's been a few days since my last journal update so now's as good a time as any to take care of business.

A few things have changed. When I started this gaden, I decided to try germinating my seeds directly in the soil. I figured why the hell not (and I never germ all my seeds during any given grow). Well, only one seed has germinated so far, Afghan Kush #1. So much for that method. But that's ok, since I hate waiting I started some more seeds in using organic pods and a domed propigator (you know...just in case). I always find myself in a quandry over wanting to immediately grow everyting I've got vs being smart and only (attempting) to germinate a more realistic amount.

As a result of my backup measures I now have 5 Afghan Kush seedlings, 6 Chocolope seedlings, and 4 Purps seedlings. Unfortunately, none my South African Kwazulu seeds have germinated. Granted it's only been 4 days since I started this new batch, but all the other strains showed signs of germination within 48 hours. Oh well, worst case I'll pick up a new batch for my Spring garden.

It's been about 10 days since I started the initial batch of seeds and moved my Texada Timewarp mothers to the tent and I have to say I absoultely love the soil mix and upgraded 1000w MH light I'm using! The TXTW mothers are loving the new digs! I've even noticed the seedlings that have broken the soil surface appear to be greening quicker than I recall my other grows doing.

So since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Photo 1: TXTW#1 (I think that rouge seedling is a canaloupe. I always get surprises when I use my compost. xD)

gallery_30122_1134_1454368.jpg

Photo 2: TXTW#2 Close up

gallery_30122_1134_1249541.jpg

Photo 3: TXTW#3 (looks like some C. ruderalis traits are making themselves known)

gallery_30122_1134_1383166.jpg

Photo 5: Afghan Kush #4

gallery_30122_1134_661281.jpg

Photo 5: Chocolope #5

gallery_30122_1134_1071630.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice Redd! Everything is looking very satisfied :D

And an AWESOME selection of strains :)

I bet the misses LOVES the chocolope huh?!

I can't wait for mine to taste it :D She's gonna make me buy more to grow after the first hit haha!

Bit of early advice for you tho, get yourself some mulch for the tops of your mommas and anything bigger than a seedling :D

You'll be AMAZED at the difference it makes man! Didn't use a mulch in the spring, and the difference between last run and this run are night and day!

I use lava rock. A GIANT bag is like $3-$4 at Lowes or Home Depot. Maybe Wally world too. I went to Lowes tho. That one big bad should cover the garden:)

But you can also use some compost for that purpose..Or EWCs...Really anything but wood chips or some with a high C:N ratio.

If you can crush the lava rock, it's also better than perlite for aeration, as it has CEC..but that's another tale.

But yeh, get yourself something for the surface of the soil.

The root will literally grow right up to the very surface when you mulch :D

Also these viagrow fabric pots are better than the smarties bcuz they're taller and also cheaper :)

I'm a cheap dude brother :D

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-2-gal-Breathable-Fabric-Root-Aeration-Pot-With-Handles-10-Pack-V2GAPOT-10/202985187

Bless

thanks for the tips brother! i'm all about doing things on the cheap! i'll check out those viagrow pots, but i also like to support my local horticulture shop as much as possible. that's where i got my smarties pots.

i was already thinking about mulch...but wasn't thinking about lava rocks. that sounds like a good plan!

the mrs isn't really much of a smoker...just means more for me! but yea...i really dig the chocolope! i got the seeds from a local friend and i'm beginning to thinkg they might actually be feminized chocolope seed from dna genetics....but that's just a guess.

i'm also really curious to see the difference in smoke, flavor, and high the TXTWs will produce now that i've changed up their grow environment.

on a side note, i've made some tinctures recently...one from leaves of TXTW#1 & TXTW#2, one from leaves from a mix of Chocolope, TXTWs, and Purps, and one from bud from a now removed TXTW#2 (recepie here). i've given samples to 2 friends (one uses it for back pain / muscle relaxant and the other uses it to ease the symptoms of lupus) and both have reported back that it is waaay better than the pharma meds they use. next tincture i'll be making i'm planning on using vegetable glycerin tincture....my hope is it can be used both internally and topically...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Garden Update - [09-Sept-2013]

Hey brothers and sisters! It's been about 2 weeks since my last update and I've finally gotten a breather from "real life"! Since my last post the garden has been reduce in size a bit.

Strains

2x Texada Timewarp

• TXTW#1
  • TXTW#3

1x South African Kwazulu

• SA Kw #1

2x Afghan Kush

• A Kush #1
  • A Kush #2

4x Chocolope

• Chocolope #1
  • Chocolope #2
  • Chocolope #5
  • Chocolope #6

3x Purps

• Purps #2
  • Purps #3
  • Purps #4

All of the remaining plats are doing very well and loving my soil mix! I'm pretty sure the reason for the die off is my fault. I decided to attempt to germinate the 1st sets directly in the soil. That didn't work. The next set I decided to germinate them in pods. This worked, but dumbass that I am decided to try and remove a few from their pods and transfer them directly to the soil. Some survived, but most didn't. Seems that newly germinated seeds don't like to have their tap roots removed from their homes!! Oh well, lesson learned!

My TXTW mother plants have exploded with new growth! I've taken two cuttings from TXTW#1 and one from TXTW#3. Mostly because both plants were getting too tall...and I also want to see the difference in the smoke with the new soil mix and feeding too.

The South African Kwazulu (SA Kw #1) is trying real hard to hang on. I don't know what happened to these seeds. I have a feeling it's related tot he heat down here and initial improper storage. Either way, I just happy to have one trying to keep on keeping on!

now on to the good stuff!!!

Photo 1: 07-Sept-2013 - Garden Overview

gallery_30122_1134_76562.jpg

Photo 2: 07-Sept-2013 - A Kush #1

gallery_30122_1134_534072.jpg

Photo 3: 07-Sept-2013 - A Kush #2

gallery_30122_1134_683666.jpg

Photo 4: 07-Sept-2013 - Purps #2

gallery_30122_1134_1009220.jpg

Photo 4: 07-Sept-2013 - Purps #3

gallery_30122_1134_77014.jpg

Photo 5: 07-Sept-2013 - Chocolope #1

gallery_30122_1134_573989.jpg

Photo 6: 07-Sept-2013 - Chocolope #2

gallery_30122_1134_387725.jpg

Photo 7: 07-Sept-2013 - Chocolope #5

gallery_30122_1134_411009.jpg

Photo 8: 07-Sept-2013 - Chocolope #6

gallery_30122_1134_29110.jpg

Photo 9: 07-Sept-2013 - SA Kw #1

gallery_30122_1134_519865.jpg

• Like 1

on the bigger plants on the lower leaves i see little spots.. this kinda looks like spidermite to me..

just check under neath the leaves and see if you can find any little red or black dots moving about...

hopefully its not bugs.. but im guessing with reclaimed soil.. it could possibly be mites..

the 2 main bugs you'll see are mites and blackfly/gnats

on the bigger plants on the lower leaves i see little spots.. this kinda looks like spidermite to me..

just check under neath the leaves and see if you can find any little red or black dots moving about...

hopefully its not bugs.. but im guessing with reclaimed soil.. it could possibly be mites..

the 2 main bugs you'll see are mites and blackfly/gnats

good eye! i've been watching the mothers very closely. no red or black spots on the under side of the leaves...but something is definitely going on there. i've also noticed on one of them what looks like leaf miner signs.

Garden Update - Transplanting [16-Sept-2013]

Well the kids have out grown their original containers so I spent some time this morning mixing a batch of new soil and transplanting them to 2 gal smart pots. I only made one change to my basic soil mix. Instead of mxing the mycorryizail fungi into the main soil added 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) to the soil under the root ball and dusted the roots as well. My expectation is that this application method will stimulate more rigourous root growth which will translate to the plant growth as well. I've included some pics of the process below.

Photo 1: Chocolope 001 - Root Growth

gallery_30122_1134_599887.jpg

Photo 2: Chocolope 002 getting dusted

gallery_30122_1134_996723.jpg

Photo 3: Mycorrhizail Fungi in the container

gallery_30122_1134_587484.jpg

@TopShelfGreen...thanks brother and will do!

@Dust...I was toatlly excited when i saw the root growth...especially since my last grow's root balls were under developed.

In just the short amount of time I've been on SH, I can already see an exponential difference in the quality of my plants! Big thanks to everyone!

I'll be posting some new pics and a garden update soon!

• Like 1

Today is a sad day. Due to circumstances out of my control, I had to tear down my garden. However, I have learned a lot over the course of my recent gardens and I will start again when the time is right. I will continue to lurk and participate in this amazing community!!

peace and blessing to all!!