Sumatra

kagbeni

Anybody else smoked ganga from Sumatra? when I was there I remember it as some of the best stuff I've ever smoked. I'd just come from Thailand and noticed the difference. The thais tended to be creepers, but this stuff took you into the stratosphere on the first toke. Most is grown in Aceh provincewhich was North of where I was but I saw a small "personal " patch of Sativa appearance. I've searched seedbanks for seeds containing Sumatran genetics but neither found anything. I've smoked many landraces in my own country and on my travels and beleive me this was one of the best, if not the best.

• 9 months later...

I hang with growers who collect and grow landrace seeds.

We have always agreed that landrace weed from Indonesia and PNG is probably the best in the world but we can never get any seeds. Always looking for PNG or Indonesian seed.

Sumatran Tripping Weed (70's landrace Sumatran weed) is the only weed I've ever personally tried that was probably as strong as genuine original 70's Thai Stick from the Mr Asia syndicate..... the strongest weed I've ever smoked by miles and miles.

scrubdog

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I never smoked any Indonesian weed. Would love to try growing some of it here though. I presume that it is a pure sativa? I smoked gobs of highland Thai that we used to get on skinny bamboo sticks back in the 70s. They were later replaced with fat Thai sticks dipped in hash oil that just put me to sleep in the 1980s. Lacking any older highland Thai seeds here, I grow Durban Poison, said to be a Thai derived strain. Durban is my favorite sativa.

The strongest weed I ever smoked to date was south Indian Ganja, a sativa that was almost black. I got ahold of a cut of a Colombian Black strain here the other day.  It was more commonly known as Wacky Weed in the 1970s in California. It has an insane high to it as well. The only problem with it is that it blooms really long and really late. Like into January late. Do Indonesian strains do that, or do they bloom and finish earlier?

And welcome to the SH forum!  

• 7 months later...

I have been growing a Sumatran strain for over 30 years. A reliable Indonesian friend sourced the seeds for me ex Aceh early 80's. I have managed to get it back to a managable size and with very quick bud development. Typically 2m and late Feb/Early March in southern mediterranean climate. Once the flowers start,  they build very very quickly indeed. Left alone it attains a very pretty xmas tree shape with fewer head leaves. Great for the manicure. Leaves are nicely serrated, deep green with red/purple leaf stems. On the bush the flowers have a nice heady sweet floral fragrance. Currently in the process of crossing with some renowned US and Euro imported strains to boost potency and create faster finishing improved potency pheno. As a guerilla outdoor enthusiest, by design its a long slow process. Current appalling legal status also makes it a difficult hobby. I travelled extensively thru Indonesia in late 70's and the product varied from goddam awful to extraordinary. Way befor my enthusiest days, so the genetic opportunities passed me by. I like to think I'm making up for my lack of vision now. Be good to hear from a few other antippodean  (or other) gardeners. Peace. 

Sumatran-web.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 11:58 PM, Labia Joose said:

Je fais pousser une souche de Sumatra depuis plus de 30 ans. Un ami indonésien fiable m'a donné les graines pour Aceh au début des années 80. J'ai réussi à le ramener à une taille gérable et avec un développement très rapide des bourgeons. Typiquement 2m et fin février / début mars dans le climat sud-méditerranéen. Une fois que les fleurs commencent, elles se forment très très rapidement. Resté seul, il atteint une très jolie forme d'arbre de Noël avec moins de feuilles de tête. Idéal pour la manucure. Les feuilles sont bien dentelées, vert foncé avec des tiges de feuilles rouges / pourpres. Sur le buisson, les fleurs ont un joli parfum floral doux capiteux. Actuellement en cours de croisement avec certaines souches renommées aux États-Unis et en Europe pour renforcer la puissance et créer une finition plus rapide. En tant que passionné de plein air de guérilla, son design est un processus long et lent. Le statut juridique effroyable actuel en fait également un passe-temps difficile. J'ai beaucoup voyagé en Indonésie à la fin des années 70 et le produit variait de foutu horrible à extraordinaire. Bien avant mes jours enthousiastes, les opportunités génétiques m'ont passé. J'aime penser que je rattrape mon manque de vision maintenant. Soyez à l'écoute de quelques autres jardiniers antipodes (ou autres). Paix. 

Sumatran-web.jpg

Est-ce que c'est possible de faire un échange avec de la tahiti landrace ???

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, Labia Joose said:

I have been growing a Sumatran strain for over 30 years. A reliable Indonesian friend sourced the seeds for me ex Aceh early 80's. I have managed to get it back to a managable size and with very quick bud development. Typically 2m and late Feb/Early March in southern mediterranean climate. Once the flowers start,  they build very very quickly indeed. Left alone it attains a very pretty xmas tree shape with fewer head leaves. Great for the manicure. Leaves are nicely serrated, deep green with red/purple leaf stems. On the bush the flowers have a nice heady sweet floral fragrance. Currently in the process of crossing with some renowned US and Euro imported strains to boost potency and create faster finishing improved potency pheno. As a guerilla outdoor enthusiest, by design its a long slow process. Current appalling legal status also makes it a difficult hobby. I travelled extensively thru Indonesia in late 70's and the product varied from goddam awful to extraordinary. Way befor my enthusiest days, so the genetic opportunities passed me by. I like to think I'm making up for my lack of vision now. Be good to hear from a few other antippodean  (or other) gardeners. Peace. 

Sumatran-web.jpg

Awesome looking plant sir, I am wondering if the smell will be a problem. There is a plant currently at week 4 or 5 in flowering and has no smell yet so far unless you touch the budlet. Will it be stinking the whole house?

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2018 at 8:33 PM, Labia Joose said:

Mr Duck... am pretty fussy about what I breed with. Can you post some images and info about Tahitian strain? LJ

Hey joose,

thank you for your Answer. You can see the picturs about my strain, look "🔎landrace tahiti"... 

Cordialy

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 11:36 AM, yerico said:

hello i'm from indonesia, i have many seeds of them, if you want i'll give you aceh landrace seed, or we can exchange some seed.

Hi there yes I wanted Aceh Landrace , that was my favourite when smoke in Indonesia , you still have it swap and cash for you

• 10 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 1:14 AM, Big Sur said:

I never smoked any Indonesian weed. Would love to try growing some of it here though. I presume that it is a pure sativa? I smoked gobs of highland Thai that we used to get on skinny bamboo sticks back in the 70s. They were later replaced with fat Thai sticks dipped in hash oil that just put me to sleep in the 1980s. Lacking any older highland Thai seeds here, I grow Durban Poison, said to be a Thai derived strain. Durban is my favorite sativa.

The strongest weed I ever smoked to date was south Indian Ganja, a sativa that was almost black. I got ahold of a cut of a Colombian Black strain here the other day.  It was more commonly known as Wacky Weed in the 1970s in California. It has an insane high to it as well. The only problem with it is that it blooms really long and really late. Like into January late. Do Indonesian strains do that, or do they bloom and finish earlier?

How was that South Indian ganja like and was it devastating like wacky weed was?