the journey

chronixx

My story:

Hello my friends,
Im from a beautifull sunny island.
Im totally new on this site and also first time I open a topic for growing weed.
 I will need some help with that from you guys!!!
Offcourse I have been planting some for myself but never been a great success because its hard too get some good seeds or any fertilizers.

My mission:
-pretty easy :P, grow the best and most marijuana I ever did.
-get some seeds
- find and make the perfect spot and make it all animal/thief proof.
- learn from every seed I plant.
-become professional J

My situation:
Im just a amateur grower but i want too do it as professional as possible!!
before I start with my first questions I will give some information about the weather and climate im living in.
Im going too plant outdoor.
outdoor animals
and im pretty on low budget.

Climate information:
 HOT!! Always hot!!
the sun will come up at 06:30 and sunset will be at 19:00 so lets say we have 12 hours of sun a day the hole year. We don’t have any seasons!!
the temperatures are between the 25 and 34 Celsius.
the Air humidity is 76% .

Now that I post all this information I hope you guys can give me the required information that I need. J
If there is still some info missing please let me know!!

seeds.
I got some seeds out of some local weed. 
also orderd some seeds out of Holland.

This is where I am at now. Seed have been planted and are around 2 week old right now.
I will update my blog as much as possible.
I hope you guys can give me some tips and feedback for my project.

Jah bless!!!

• Like 4

Sounds like you will be growing in a sandy based soil? If so this will be the main problem you will have to overcome as it has great drainage and does not hold water. Unless you are camping onsite or you visit every day to water you will either have to set up a watering system from a near bye stream or have a tank to feed the kids. In the past I have used many methods but think the easiest if possible is. From up steam run a 25mm watering system polly hose to the site being shore to cover it on the way, in the past I’ve had to run almost 500mtrs, the black polly pipe is very cheap here it’s about $8 for 25mtrs. Once the main line is at the site then just run small dripper lines to the base of each plant and have them set on the slowest drip possible.

The soil

What I do is dig 500mm round and down about 500mm put aside ½ of the sandy soil. With the other ½  make up an organic soil mix made up of composts, and a good potting mix. Add water saving crystals, egg shells, blood & bone and a slow realise fertilizer.  Once you have the soil mixed back fill the hole then spread the other ½ of the original soil back over it and then plant. By planting in the original soil on top of the organic mix will force the plant to establish quickly as the root system will shoot straight down chasing the good soil. It will also mask the scent of the organic soil and help stop attracting the pests. also every now and then you can give them a feed with whatever nutriant you can get.

Water crystals alternatives

Broken up Rockwool. I add this anyway

Kitty litter

Ripped up newspaper

Kitchen sponges

Perlite                                   

The Thief

To beat the thief you need to think like the thief. Don’t leave a trace of you being there take all your rubbish away and anything that stands out colour wise cover it with the soil around you

Plant a few plants away from your main site. Don’t put all your eggs in the one basket it’s better to lose 1 or 2 plants than a whole crop.

Be very careful entering and leaving your site don’t make a track. Enter from different sides from time to time.

Don't let anyone see you entering or leaving.

Pests

While the plants are young you can make chicken wire domes covering the plant.

Chicken wire fence around the whole site.

Spread crushed chillies or powder around the site.

You can also use a low voltage wire around the site the same as they use for dog proof fence at home running of a deep cycle marine battery.

• Like 8

Spacer21 (now called Senior Pablo) (now called chronixx),

Wow this sounds like a tough Island.

Protect against the parrots with 1/2" mesh plastic Screen, but that'll attract the Attention of Hikers or Viewers from the air. A dog that barks might attract unwanted Attention.

To protect against rodents, use 1/4" mesh wire under the rootball of a raised box, but the raised box can destroy your stealth.

Donkeys and goats? Surround the plants with barbed wire and goat mesh?

Im not sure, but I think lizards are harmless, except for iguanas. Iguanas might enjoy to embibe.

(If I remember correctly, I think Mary Anne and the Professor had a heck of a time growing good weed on Gilligan's Island. Why do you think Gilligan and the Skipper stayed so silly?)

Seriously, all of us outdoor growers face similar difficulties. It is a Balancing act among stealth, pest and disease control, pH and nutrients, water, light and temperature. Each of us has a similar struggle within differing Environments. And each must come up with unique tricks that work for his grow op.

Don't give up. Please Keep us posted what works for you and what doesn't. And do post lots of Pictures. We love Pictures here.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the really helpfull information. im going make use of it :)

Today i workt abit on my spot and i made some pictures for you guys can see how i work it all out.

i almost finish putting the table together now and im going to get ready to put my baby’s in bigger pots but first i need to prepare a good soil mix so here we go;

SOIL:

Yes dfwi its really dry soil out here so i will be working with soil pots.

I will be watering my lady’s every day by bring them the water.

Its really hard to get some good soil out here but i will mix some things up.

I think about to mix this:

-Potting ground

potgrond1.jpg

potgrond_ing.jpg

-Crust coco

coco_grond.jpg

-Red sand

redsand.jpg

- At the gardening store they sell N-P-K

npk.png

-i also found some eagle shit that is full with bones so i will add this.

- perlite

- Im also going too find some bat shit but for this i need too visit some caves.

-I read some about ppl using used koffie in there mix.

what do you guys think about this mix???

i will really need some help from you guys about how much i need to put of everything!!!

THE THIEF:

My playground is pretty secure :).

its like a 30 min walk in the middle of nowhere, my trail i wipe out with a palm leaf and always walk on the goats tracks that they walk every day.

PESTS:

i put my plants on tables so no animal can get too my baby’s, also surround it with chicken wire.

We have alot of lizards out here with i had alot of bad experience with... in the past they always knew a way too eat my little baby’s in the first few weeks..

So now i put my table leg abit more inside so they can not climb up and walk on my table ;).

The goats will only be able to smell my girls but not tough them.

Today i cut some garlic and put a peace in every pot, i will also add some chili powder.

cartel.jpg

Water:

should i use rain water or water out of the sink?

Next goals:

-try to find a PH meter!!! really need this!!...

-mix a good soil.

-buy a thermometer

- use normal water or rain water

- buy the soil and the NPK and maybe more

_find a cave with lots of bads

- keep on upgrading my playground.

• Like 3

In the beginning when I plant them I was abit in a rush and thought its was oke too put them first in a small pot of potground… but now I think I have a PH problem…
here are some pics:

Purple 07-12-13

purple_26dec.jpg

skunk 12-12-13

skunk_26dec.jpg

skunk 12-12-13
skunk_26dec_2.jpg

Now that it is xmas all the shops are closed so I can not get get a PH meter…

• Like 1

looking good soil looks sorted and love you are using the Bat shit that stuff is gold just be sure not to over do it. It can burn the plant if you use to much, just decide weather you want organic or use nutrients mixing both you can run into trouble sometimes and by what your potting mix says you have a good EC level to start with. Just be a-wear mixing organic and chemicals together unless you no the full make up off both and mineral % in each bottle which no product I no fully disclose you could be mixing up a bad mix. Unless you have a mineral separator and calculator about 15 grand in lab equipment you are just guessing. Mixing differant brands of nutriant can only courses problems only lab equipment can diagnose. You could make some shit tea, just put the bat shit into 1 of mums stockings and hang it in a bucket of water for a few days then water plants with the shit juice. I have also been known to put some road kill into my pots like dead birds or rabbits. The NPK's you dont need to worry about untill the plants go into flower. Also been thinking about your watering and you could use water spikes under $1 here and will save you making the trip everyday, they are just a plastic spike that screws onto a plastic drink bottle very simple very affective. If possible rain water is best i think, just keep your PH as close to 6 as possible and you shouldnt have a problem.

watering spike bottle

good luck and keep us posted  :cool:

• Like 4

Thanks for your fast reaction my friend!! J
I hear a lot of good stuff about the bad shit indeed, can wait to go on a bad shit road trip :P. ill post some pics J
I really don’t mind too water my plants every day, its all loveee!! :P
I will leave the NPK out until the flower start.

Too make it fully clear for me you are saying that if I use nature products like the bad shit I should not use any chemical fertilizer or booster?

you say the potting soil is good but what about the PH level. Its too low.I also think that’s why my babys are light green right now and some leaf points look burnt.
L
I hope I will find a PH meter tomorrow so I can try to get it right.
But now I have the problem that they don’t sell PH up or down on this island…. I read some stuff on the internet about it and see ppl are using baking soda(raise) or vinegar(lower). What  do you think about this and what will the formula be for this?

What you think about the coco mix? How much should I put. Its pretty dry and dosnt hold a lot of water but it makes the soil nicely airfull.

Hmmmm bad news for me... not possible too get a PH meter in the island... i have too order it but that will take like 3 weeks... hope my babys will not die..
i do have a bio fertilzer (biobizz) fish mix. this has a ph of 6.2 so i will at this and hope the PH will be right...
today i will also mix my soil and put them in bigger pots.

Using the viniger and baking soda is fine it will just be a little bit of trile and error till you get it right. Your plants in Veg stage prefur a lower PH 5.5 to 6 this allows greater uptake of nitrigen and in flower they like PH 6.1 to 6.5 this allows greater uptake of NPK's. The Chemicals VS Organic debate has been going for years. I have a very good friend who is a chemist with the CSIRO at the moment he is devolping nutrients for the wine industry. He has help me developed nutrients over the years and tested many products some of which have been shocking, companies claiming ingerdients that wern't there and some very toxic mixes. The more things you add the more possibilaty problems can occour end of the day its just a weed KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid. I belive and im sure many of the experianced growers will say just stick to the same product line if you choose nutrients as they are designed to work together and complement each other. I would use a combination of bat & chicken poo just starting with very low % and do some reasherch on Compost teas there is a great post on this site done by Fuzzy on the topic.  Great place for anything you may need is e-bay :cool:

• Like 1

If you still haven't found a pH meter or the strips, check out your local aquarium shop.  They usually have a means of measuring pH of aquarium water.  With my aquarium pH kit, I take a sample of the water, add drops of a test solution, and shake.  Then I compare the color against a color chart.  It is a bit cumbersome, but it will do the trick until you get your pH meter.  But definitely, the pH meter is the way to go.  You want it to be fast and accurate for growing.

pH meters are readily available from sellers on ebay, amazon, or just do an internet search for "pH meter".

While you are at it, also consider buying an EC meter, and PPM meter.  You can also find some meters that perform multiple functions, but they are a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

Pablo,

I agree with Dfwi about the caution.  Be careful using mixes of organics and chemicals.  That can be deadly for the plants.  The reasons are multifold.  Some natural products are too hot to begin with.  Some chemicals are time-released, and will cause unexpected nutrient spikes or pH fluctuations over time resulting in nute toxicity or lock-out well after the initial application.

And, guano (regardless the source, bat, eagle, chicken, etc.) straight out of nature can be too hot (sharp).  If you mix it directly in the soil, do so very sparingly. 

I agree with Dfwi's suggestion to make teas from such natural materials.  When you finally get fully outfitted with the meters, you should test the teas for pH, EC (electrical conductivity) and PPM (suspended particles in parts per million), and then adjust them to be just right for the plant before watering.  Adding nutrients to water and soil without knowing the values is like playing Russian Roulette with your plants.

After viewing your pics, it appears that your soil is much more rich than it needs to be for Mj.  I hope it is not too rich.  Judging from the color and the apparent moisture as I can see it, I highly recommend that you add perlite to your soil.  About 1/3 to 1/2 of the soil should be perlite or some other material that helps with drainage.  Mj prefers a soil that will drain away and partially dry out between waterings.  Mj roots like oxygen.  If water cannot readily drain away, then the roots may drown or develop mold.  When you prepare your soil for the bigger pots, definitely add perlite.

For excellent reading, search in the internet for "super soil for marijuana".  There are some excellent recipes on various websites. 

For some excellent videos on supersoil, search Youtube for "super soil (for marijuana)".

• Like 1

As for your question, how much pH up and pH down to use.....
The answer is the same for everyone who adjusts pH.  It is ALL RELATIVE.  That's because not all water sources are the same, and every PH up and down solution can be different strengths.  You simply must measure your tap water (or rain water) each time to determine the ambient pH.  Then set for yourself a pH target value to adjust to.  Take notes.  Start with one liter water, then count the drops of your favorite pH up or down administered.  Stir with a clean plastic stick, then re-measure.  Repeat the procedure and adjust how many drops you use to achieve the target value.  Try not to over-shoot your pH target.  Simple as that.  It may take two or three trial runs, but you'll get the hang of it.  (Depending on your ambient and target pH and depending on the strengths of the up/down solution or powder that you choose, you may be counting your up/down additives in drops or milliliters, or teaspoons.) 

Yes, aside from the store-bought ups and downs, there are home remedies.  Up, baking soda.  Down, vinegar or orange juice or lemon juice.  At aquarium shops, there is an excellent "oak acid" commonly used to lower pH in aquariums.

When watering using chemical nutes of known values or with prescribed doses, it is best to adjust the pH of your water before adding chemical nutes.  Then after adding the nutes, tweek the pH again.  (This is better than first adding the nutes followed by a botched pH adjustment resulting in the loss of the expensive nutes.)

If you are watering using self-made teas, then the procedure is just the opposite.  That is because your tea, being potentially STRONGLY out-of-balance from your target EC and PPM values, may need to be diluted a lot with water or strengthened a lot with other nutrient additives in order to achieve the desired EC and PPM.  After you have achieved your target EC and nute-PPM, THEN adjust the pH.  

It is also a good idea to measure the EC, PPM and pH of the run-off water that escapes the pots after watering.  This data gives you clues as to what's going on inside the soil so you can adjust the nute and pH regime for the next watering.

• Like 2

Cannabissapean is right onto it forgot about the aqurium. You could also mix in some clay balls instead of the perlite and as Cannabissapean said even when adding organic ferts take it slow better to under fert than over fert  :cool:

First of all  I want too thank all you guys for the great usefull feedback and tips you are giving me.
i mostly do everything you guys tell me J. Working out great.

I have been really busy with my plants these last few days. Made it fully animal proof  and made (what I think a great soil mix.
Today I change all the plants from smaller into bigger pots with the new mix J
Finally im fully ready too just bring water now for a couple of weeks.

this is what I mix today:
60%  van egmond potting soil
10% some young plant soil
30% coco
plus 25% perlite

soil.jpg

there were some plants that were already in this mix without the perlite… when they go in bigger pots they will get with the perlite.

Thyellow_30_12.jpg

those are still abit yellow like you can see in my pic . Now 2 days ago I change her into 40%coco 60% soil. Maybe they get better now. I think it could also happen because they got too wet… some rain these days so the dirt wont dry so fast.

Here a pc from the purple again.

pur_30_12.jpg

for like 2 hours the temp gets like 38C but gos down later the day too 28C.
in two weeks I get a good Ph meter so everything will be more clear.

• Like 3

Seems like you made a nice net for your ladies man glad that you found some usefulll help :)

One of the few tricks i have used in outdoor, and it worked out so far, is simply pee and shit as much as you can near to your plants ;) I have a dog and when i'd go to my plants with him i try to make sure he take a shit around the spot pretty often, and myself i putted the sweat i had after the long walk everywhere around the plants on sticks rocks etc...  So far it kept the girls i've made outdoors safe :)

Have a good grow man

• Like 3

^^ Good advise Dust but without Toiletpaper im out :P

My Tipp is ask maybe in a dogcoiffeur if u got one on the island or ppl who got dogs for a bag of doghair and just get them anywhere around ur Plants and u will be safe :)

Glood Luck!

• Like 1

Make sure the dogs hair are no full of anti fleas and ticks products...

Your soill was a little too strong for seedlings...

Don't add too much perlite, especially if it is hot and dry climate, half the amount they propose is enough, with coconut husk and fibers on top of soil with egg shells and pinches of bats poop. Seaweed great addition also. Use neem oil or neem leafs in soil for bugs. Learn from local organic farmers what is their main pests in Island and their methods to treat it...Cannabis feeding needs are almost like tomatoes.

I envy you, where i live it is rain, cold and pollutions everywhere...

So I will be following you and envying... ;)

• Like 1

Now that my girls are 3 weeks old im gonna show you guys e few new pictures. :)
mennn!!! they are doing!! the yellow leafs are getting greener and greener now and they are growing pretty fast.
only the purple is doing weird stuff.... it allready start too flower.... i dont know why... look at the pic. 
what you guys think? is is still possible and smart too try too clone it?? 
i also found a pic from a plant i grew few months ago but not a str4ong plant because it got eaten alot....
im also really wondering what kid of seeds im growing here :). the weed i got it out off was really good.

the phone camrea is a bit more light then it really is.

this was the really yellow one from before:
1_5_01.jpg

IMG00098_20140105_1730.jpg

purple:
pur_05_01.jpg

First of all  I want too thank all you guys for the great usefull feedback and tips you are giving me.

i mostly do everything you guys tell me J. Working out great.

I have been really busy with my plants these last few days. Made it fully animal proof  and made (what I think a great soil mix.

Today I change all the plants from smaller into bigger pots with the new mix J

Finally im fully ready too just bring water now for a couple of weeks.

this is what I mix today:

60%  van egmond potting soil

10% some young plant soil

30% coco

plus 25% perlite

soil.jpg

there were some plants that were already in this mix without the perlite… when they go in bigger pots they will get with the perlite.

Thyellow_30_12.jpg

those are still abit yellow like you can see in my pic . Now 2 days ago I change her into 40%coco 60% soil. Maybe they get better now. I think it could also happen because they got too wet… some rain these days so the dirt wont dry so fast.

Here a pc from the purple again.

pur_30_12.jpg

for like 2 hours the temp gets like 38C but gos down later the day too 28C.

in two weeks I get a good Ph meter so everything will be more clear.

Yeaaaahhhh! That Looks like some fine MJ soil. I think your Girls are gonna love it.

But LOL, 60 + 10 + 30 + 25 = 125%