a day to day Cheese Grow

Dfwi

Hello fellow hunters I’m doing this post as I have had many ask what to do at different stages of an indoor hydro grow. I have been growing indoor since I was 13yr under the house with dad’s aquarium lights. It was a combination of seeing the plants in the aquarium growing and mums terrarium with a fern in it under a light hanging in the hallway that got me thinking. Why not apply those principles to growing pot. So I hit the library but all I could find was the ancient methods used by the Aztec’s and Egyptians. Coming from a well to do family I couldn’t grow outdoor as our gardener was old Mr Straight who had already found one outdoor plant I had and ran to mum and dad, so I had to go stealth and I ended up under the house. There were no hydro shops when I started and there were many failed homemade systems and toxic nutrient mixes and much trial and error. After all this trial and error over the years the one thing that I’ve learnt is KEEP IT SIMPLE end of the day it’s just a weed. In this post I will show the systems, nutrients and some room details that I use now days. A few grows I have done I’ve kept a day to day diary of what has been done. I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures of my personal grows as they were all lost with an old PC.

THE PLANT

I’m all about yields; I don’t see the point in paying for power and all the other associated costs with indoor growing to have small yields but each to their own. The GH strain I love to grow and have gown for almost 4yrs non-stop is the Greenhouse Cheese. I like the phenomenon which has a few sativa traits in it. I believe a 70% indica 30% sativa is a good mix. On average I get 250grams plus per plant.

THE ROOM & SYSTEM FOR MY CLONES

I grow from clones in a basic flood and drain system in 2 x 2mtr square tent. The trays are  2mtrs square and holds 60 to 80 clones in 40mm x 40mm Rockwool cubes placed into small netted pots filled with clay balls. Once the netted pots are laid out I fill the tray with clay balls this allows you to feed less as the root systems are not exposed and the clay balls keep in some moisture. The main reservoir has a fish tank heater set at 16c and has 2 air stones running 24/7. I flood the tray for 15mins every 3hrs. As for lighting I use 4 x 25watt 2700k CFL’s as I’m happy with them growing slow. I take the clones from my mother plants 6 weeks before the current grow finishes. By the time the current grow has ended the clones are all around 300mm to 400mm and have established a strong root system.

135128 250 3

envirolite Cfl complete 3

Econo 1 Tray System 3x3 American Hydroponics 3

THE ROOM & SYSTEM FOR FLOWER

The flower rooms are 6mtrs square which are painted floor to ceiling in satin white. I use a very simple pot in pot system. The top pots are 15ltr round pots filled with clay balls with a feeding ring at the top, they are sitting on top off 25ltr buckets which are raised up on milk crates to allow the nutrient to gravity drain back to the main reservoir. The main reservoirs are custom made 316 stainless steel that holds about 200ltrs. The reservoir has a fish tank heater set at 16c and 5 air stones running 24/7. The room holds 36 plants which gives each plant 1mtr square. As for lights I use 12 x 600watt HPS. I use 8 pedestal fans placed around the room set at different height’s to create good air flow, 2 large inline extraction fans and 4 smaller inline fans blowing fresh air in. I believe you can’t have too much air flow. The plants are feed for 15mins every 2hrs. The clones still in their smaller netted pots go straight into the 15ltr top pots. I don’t like to pull the clones from their smaller pots don’t think there is any need and it minimises any transplant shock.

satellite system 2

NUTRIENT & OTHER NEEDS

http://hydrocentre.com.au/nutrientchart/

The nutrient I use is only available in my country. It is something my good friend who owns a hydro shop, myself and a good friend who is a horticultural chemist with the CSIRO developed over a 2year period. It is a three stage nutrient STAGE 1 GROW, STAGE 2 FLOWER, STAGE 3 FRUIT. I also use the Vitamins at all stages and the Organic booster during Stage 3 Fruit. Before using this nutrient I used Canna products, before that there were no hydro shops and I had to make my own from organic fertilizers I could get at the nursery. When it comes to nutrient one thing I have learnt is whatever brand you choose just stick to that brand as they are designed to work and complement each other. Mixing nutrient brands can often course problems. As I’ve said a very good friend is CSIRO chemist and has tested different brands and mixes over the years and some results have been shocking. Quite often the ingredients shown on a label will not list the full makeup of the product and we are yet to find one that does. Certain chemicals when mixed can cancel out others sometimes even creating toxic mixes. The only time I would use a different brand would be for PK boosters in the flower stages and lower my main nutrients EC to compensate. I have also been known in the last few weeks to add different fruit juices for taste, pineapple, and mango. I use Canna clay balls and have had some for over 10yrs, as long as you give them a really good wash after each grow they can last a life time.

I use Bluelabs truncheon pen and PPM & EC meters and their PH meters, I have used cheap e-bay pens and other so called top brands over the years and by far found Bluelab products to be the most accurate and robust, you pay for what you get.

Bluelab PH EC CF Pen Truncheon 4

THE GROW DAY BY DAY

This is a day by day grow I will just copy and past straight from my iCal. I keep the clones for 14 to 18 days on veg cycle under the stronger HPS. This helps the plants get ust to the stronger light spectrum and establish a good root system. And this grow I tried some Monsta Bud. You will notice I check things almost every day making changes as needed. Two simple rules I follow is right PH and fresh nutrient many will say I waste nutrients but I have found over many years fresh is best.

This is an old grow from 2009 we hadn't developed the PK boosta yet so im using Monsta bud

15th start new Cheese grow clones gone in on veg 18/6 start 6pm ppm 1200 ph 5.4

19th veg water change flush with fresh water Veg nutrient ppm 1400 ph 5.4

22nd end of week 1

23rd veg water change flush with fresh water Veg nutrient ppm 1400 ph 5.4

27th veg water change flush with fresh water Veg nutrient ppm 1400 ph 5.4

29th end of week 2

1st plants go into 12/12 flower cycle after 16 days veg under HPS's

2nd water change to stage 1 flower flush with fresh water nutrient ppm 1200 ph 5.7

7th water change Flush with fresh water Nutrient ppm up to 1500 ph 5.8

8th end week 1 flower

10th water change Flush with fresh water Nutrient ppm up to 1500 ph 5.8

12th water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

15th water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

end week 2 flower

18th water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

21st water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

22nd end week 3 flower

23rd water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

26th water change and fresh water flush Nutrient ppm 1600 ph 5.9

27th added 20ltr fresh water no nutrient ph 6 having to just top up with fresh water till lights come on at 5pm

28th just topped up with fresh water again ready to start stage two of flower and introduce more PK's

29th Flushed with fresh water. Changed Nutrient to Stage 2 flower ppm 1600 ph 6 Started adding PK mix monster bud 50ml will increase over next week or so and reduce base nutrient A & B till we are just running only monsta bud only.

End week 4 flower

30th having to just top up with fresh water till lights come on at 5pm added 20ltr fresh water ph 6.1

31st Flushed with fresh water. Water change ppm 1700 ph 6.1 150ml part A & B stage 2 flower and 100ml Monster bud

1st flushed with fresh water. Water change ppm 1800 ph 6.1 150ml part A & B stage 2 flower and 150ml Monster bud

2nd Green House Cheese don't seem to like ppm above 2000 am getting slight nutrient burn on tips of leaves if ppm's gets above 2000ppm. Keep ppm at 1500 to 1800 and they seem to be very happy

3rd flushed with fresh ph 6 water. Water change ppm 1700 ph 6.1 150ml part A & B stage 2 flower and 150ml Monsta Bud

4th added 20ltr fresh water ph 6

5th flushed with fresh ph 6 water. Water change ppm 1700 ph 6.1 100ml part A & B stage 2 flower and 200ml Monsta Bud end week 5 flower

6th added 20ltr fresh water ph 6

7th added 20ltr fresh water ph 6

8th flushed with fresh ph 6 water. Water change ppm 1700 ph 6.1 80ml part A & B stage 2 flower and 250ml Monsta Bud

9th flushed with fresh water. Changed nutrient ppm 1600 ph 6.1 Added 700ml Monsta Bud only Cut out Stage 2 flower nutrient and will start to load them up on Monster Bud only PPM 1600 to 1800. Till the 23rd or 24th have a feeling they will go over buy few days and then flush with PH 6 to 6.1 till finish

10th Checked nutrient at 2am ppm had raised to 2200 so added 20ltr fresh water and adjusted ph to 6.1 at 6pm flushed with fresh ph 6 water. Changed nutrient ppm 1600 ph 6.1 Added 700ml Monsta Bud only

11th adjusted PH back down to ph 6.1 rose to 6.7over night

12th Flushed with fresh water Change water ph 6 ppm 1700 700ml Monsta Bud only end week 6 flower. Gave plants a hair cut stripped all the shade leafs off. 

13th ppm is raising from 1700ppm to 2200ppm in 12 to 16 hrs also Ph is raising to 6.7 needing to add fresh water to drop ppm back down to 1600ppm and lower ph back to 6

14th Flushed with fresh water Change water ph 6 ppm 1700 700ml Monsta Bud only

15th lowered Ph down to 6.1 got up to 6.5. PPM's seem to have leveled out no more raises. They always seem to play up when you switch to all PK's for a few days?????

16th Flushed with fresh water Change water ph 6 ppm 1700 700ml Monsta Bud only

17th Adjusted Ph down to 6.2 got up to 6.4

18th Flushed with fresh water Change water ph 6 ppm 1700 700ml Monsta Bud only

19th They look to me as though they need a few extra days so will keep them on Monsta Bud till 23rd or 24th then will flush with fresh water till finish end week 7 flower

20th Added 40ltrs fresh water and added 100ml Monsta Bud ppm 1700 Ph 6.2

21st Added 20ltrs fresh water ppm 1600 ph 6.2

22nd Flushed with fresh water Change water ph 6 ppm 1700 700ml Monsta Bud only

24th Flushed with fresh water and will now just keep topping up with fresh water no nutrient till finish. By the looks of things they are going to go over by 4 or 5 days.

25th topped up with 10ltrs fresh water ph 6.3

26th Cheese finished end week 8 flower according to GHS

27th flushed with fresh water and add last of monsta bud ppm 1400 ph 6.3. Also turned lights down to 11 on 13 off. will decrease by another 1hr on 30th

28th Added 10ltrs fresh water only ppm 1400 ph 6.3

29th Added 20ltrs fresh water only ppm 1200 Ph 6.3

30th Switched lights down to 10hrs on 14hrs off Added 15ltrs fresh water only ppm 1100 ph 6.3

31st added fresh water only ph 6.3

1st added fresh water only ph 6.3

2nd added fresh water only ph 6.3 end week 9 flower

4th cheese finished 9 weeks 3 days flower time

• Like 2