best time to top or fim

Nerzo420

sounds good to me, some  fim @ 3rd internode.

Fimming and topping can be done at any time after that whilst they are  still in veg.

Fimming doesn't slow the plant down as much as topping & will produce 4 colas/stems, where as topping will create 2 colas/stems.

Sugested that you don't top and fim auto's as thier veg period is short between 3 weeks standard auto's and 5 weeks super auto's.

Having said this I have scrogged auto's and whilst doing this I fimmed once and it was a nice out come. If memory serves me right it was at the 4th internode and the strain was Supercritical by GHS.

Fim auto's at you own risk, get to know the strain and how it grows. If you want to experiment with  fimming auto's , as I did, you will be  do it under your own advisement.

There are so many auto strain out there, with different grow patterns and heights,I just can't garuntee you'll have the success I did.

The bigger your auto is supposed to grow , the more suited to fim it is. Tiny height (stealth auto's) should be left alone to just grow and not fimmed at all.

Fimming and topping is really more suited to photoperiod plants, especially as you can veg them for long periods and initiate flowering when you are happy with the overall shape and size of you plant.

Here is a fimming & topping tutorial - http://forums.strainhunters.com/topic/7974-fimming-topping-tutorial/

Peace and smokes

Lams

• Like 3

Its strange the marijuana plant. Its very difficult to top a clone that is mature because the internodes are not at the same height. They are one after another, if we cut the cola off of this branching it wont produce the effects desired as if the stems had branched out from the same place and height causing a Split and 2 colas . :/ i have to wait to see a random node that splits in this way since i am growing from clone. :/ 

this is an example of the "One after another" branching from a mature plant. Notice they don't branch from the same place.

http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/images/marijuana-pruning-2.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Fimming is actually no different that topping, what fimming does is virtually the exact same thing only your leaving part of the new growth. This only takes of part of the new growth and actually topping the very very new growth which is very hard to see.This should be done after the 3rd or 4th leaf set.

Well for my understanding there is 2 real options why to fim/top and the answer on which u choose will give u when to fim/top ;)

Nr.1 U have a strain that reacts well to Fimming/Topping and want to increas ur Harvest. In that Scenario u want to get it done as soon as possible so u go for it after the 3-4 Internode developed.

Nr.2 u have a strain that is pretty stretchy and want to get this under controll. In this Scenario u want to get it done as near to switching to flowerperiod as possible without harming the beginning of the flowering what mens do it at least 4-5 Days before switching depends on how much u have to get it under controll :P

This is how i handle Fimming/Topping. And like lams said Fimming gives u 4 Heads while Topping only gives u 3 so i allways go for Fimming and not Topping ;)

Cheers

Its strange the marijuana plant. Its very difficult to top a clone that is mature because the internodes are not at the same height. They are one after another, if we cut the cola off of this branching it wont produce the effects desired as if the stems had branched out from the same place and height causing a Split and 2 colas . :/ i have to wait to see a random node that splits in this way since i am growing from clone. :/

Hey Plain Doc,

When this happens with us here at the end of the rainbow,I take the top and attatch a string and pull it horizontal,tie it in place.There is apical dominance traits that affect growth of top.this will disperse that trait to the other nodes,they will grow even and beyond the top cola.here is an example of top tied down.

post-28573-0-90288300-1392860320.jpg

post-28573-0-20316900-1392860374.jpg

• Like 2

I must agree with Lams as usually. Mike is wrong tho, you should not mix topping and fimming. You cut off different size piece of the plant, so the shock caused is different, and the result is different also. The shock is way less by fimming, but even less by using LST. Genetics also matters, the super critical has sativa in the background and i belive this makes her succesfull even if grown for multiple colas! These plants i belive can benefit from being fimmed specially in hydro. In soil as i said you most likely loose more than you win in that given time, so the best option is to grow the indica and ruderalis dominants for single colas in deep thin pots!

Peace

Vertox, i was writing about autoflowerings with indica and sativa genes in them, and i did not say that indicas don't like it, just not all... but i think all sativas like to be topped/fimmed! About the medium, what i wrote only makes sense speaking about autoflowerings. In that case it does matter when you have limited lifetime, becouse the plant has to reach a certain size after fimming/topping before entering flowering to produce greater yield, which is much easier achived if grown in hydro. Remember, most start flowering 4 weeks after germination. Sorry if i was not clear, i was pointing to the super critical auto mentioned by Lams.