helppp is my plant the right size for 16 days into veg

Nerzo420

really the only way air pressure and altitude would have effects great enough to be seen is at extremes, so far below sea level, or very high above sea level above 7,000 feet. There havent been any studies on the Marijuana plant about this topic, but some small scale tests have been done on other plants concerning air pressure and altitude. These tests have even been done in the Space Station to recored how plants grow in space. Incredibly, hydroponically is the only way to grow in space and root and plant growth is unbelievable do to no gravitational effects holding the plant down.

In the UK altitude is not a worry FYI highest point in uk is 4409Ft / 1344M Ben Nevis our highest mountain. Highest village  1519Ft / 463M called "Flash".

No matter what other enviromental factor you take into account, this girl is cold.  55F is 12C ! @ 15C plant metabolism slows down considerably by the time it gets to 10C growth is at a standstill or there abouts & at 4C tissue damage starts to occur.

In normal circumstances a 400W HPS will be a round 9" - 18"  /  21Cm - 45Cm  above the canopy. With seedlings you need to becareful of heat stress, start @ 3Ft / 1M and slowly work down.

Having a fan under your light blowing across will help diffuse the heat, be carefull not to have the air movement buffeting the seedling too much, alittle plant movement is ok.

You can also feel what your seedling feels, place your hand flat above the seedling, back of hand upwards. Leave there for about a minute, if it starts to feel uncomfotable, it will also be uncomfortable for your seedling.

NB - the back of your hand is more sensitive to heat than your palm.

Watch out for heat stress ie leaves curling up wards.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

Hiya lams would these be better than a tube heater and a separate thermostat....a 600W mini oil filled radiator with self-resetting thermostat control.

Features:

5 fin mini oil radiator

One power setting

Self-resetting thermostat control

Dimensions: 38x10.5cm

Voltage: 220-240V

Frequency: 50/60HZ

600W

Thanks Bro

Yes that will warm your space but in a different way and could pose a fire risk, especially in a small  space. I advise against it.

I mentioned the tube heater for two reasons, you are warming a small space which doesn't need much heat boost (between 6C - 8C above your operating temp) & the tube heater is IP55, which is water prroofed for low pressure water jet/spray projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. They are designed to warm green houses. They are available in various wattages and lengths.

The difference between the tube heatter and the oil filled radiator is - tube heater will gently warm and will be on longer but at lower power draw and give a more constant ambient temperature and are safe for you space.

Having the oil fired radiator in a small space may is a fire risk .

The oil filled radiator is designed for a small houshold room and need to be kept away from combustable materials.

It will come on and needs to heat the oil, this can take a while and it will get much hotter than the tube heater even when raising the temp just a few degrees.

When it does heat a small space it will come on  short periods and get very hot and then turn off when desired heat is achieved, and will  turn on and off constantly as air temp rises and falls, causing  temp fluctuations .

If your plant is too close she will not like the extreme heat, oil radiators can get very hot, hot enought to cause combustion when too close to combustable materials.

This I copied and pasted from - http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_12011410_dangers-oilfilled-heaters.html

The dangers of oil filled radiators

Slow

Oil-filled heaters tend to take longer to heat up than other electrical convection heaters. The oil has a high specific heat capacity, which means it takes a lot of heat to raise the temperature by 1 degree Celsius. You will have to allow for enough time for the heater to warm up before the space reaches a comfortable temperature. Some are equipped with a timer that you can use to preheat the room prior to use. If the heater is equipped with a thermostat, it can be set to switch off when the oil reaches the desired temperature. The heater slowly releases the heat from the oil into the room over time.

Big and heavy

Oil-filled heaters contain large columns that are filled with oil. This means that they are usually much bigger than other electric heaters and take up a larger amount of floor space. The oil makes the heater quite heavy and difficult to lift or move around from place to place. Oil-filled heaters are popular for their capacity to heat small spaces and often need to be moved around to heat the space that a person is occupying at the time. They are equipped with casters or wheels so they can be pushed around and to make them more easily portable. (OK mini oil filled radiator may not be big and heavy but they often are. So I didn't edit this out)

Fire hazard

Oil-filled heaters need large amounts of electrical energy to generate sufficient amounts of heat. You need to ensure that you plug the heater into an outlet which supplies a sufficiently high voltage to power the heater. Incorrect voltages can cause the wires to overheat and start an electrical fire. The heater contains oil, which is extremely flammable, so you will need to take special precautions when using these types of heaters. Take care to use heavy extension cords if you need to use one. You will need to keep the heater at a safe distance from bedding, combustable materials and away from flammable household chemicals.

Expense

The energy requirements of oil-filled radiators can be quite high. This makes them more expensive to run than comparable methods of heating, such as gas. They require a good deal of electricity to produce the energy required to heat the oil. This could have a significant impact on your electricity bill, especially if you use an oil-filled heater to heat a large room.

I would still go with the tube heater designed for horticultural applications, such as yours.

I should have mentioned in an earlier post you can get different sizes of tube heaters and different wattages (I did mention it in this post ;) ).

The other day you asked if you could use two 1foot, 45W heaters on one thermostat. I answered your question directly without mentioning you could just buy a 2 foot heater instead.(I was a little tired and just didn't think to mention it at the time)

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Peace

Lams

That's brilliant ant info lams thanks so much I'll stick with the 2 tube heaters also I mention about 2 Because I already have 2 X 1 foot tube heaters lying around so I'll use them :) thanks so much for the help last thing I want is a fore hazard so I'll still with the onea designed for the job :) peace bro

• Like 1

Hi Nerzo

That Pineapple Chunk Is a very good choice of strains.We run that here all the time.ON to the 7th generation here,cut from one feminized plant.This was chosen for the resistant to cool temps.

we have issues with the heat and cold temps.Outdoors now, the Rainbow is captured and frozen in a prism of ice.

inside though,we get our temps up using baseboard electric radiator.In the past when the temps were to cold, we use a couple aquarium heat pads,some where placed inside the buckets.this really helps to get the temps up at the root.Also a 16"x20"seed starter pad(this one I have wrapped around or stood up between containers..They are 110ac,rated for wetness and imersion in water.

good luck and keep at it.

post-28573-0-01277400-1390392328.jpg

• Like 2

Hi cgreeny ah wow its nice to see another pineapple chunk :) thanks for the tips with heating helps so much as I want the best for my girl :) I'll have a look at the aquarium heat pads to :) great shout :) so is that picture at week 5 of veg? She looks very happy :) what size pots are you using? Have you toped or fimed her? Thanks for the help appreciate it alot

• Like 1

Yeah Bro northern hemisphere :) so hopefully should warm up slowly now as the weeks go by :) also gonna add a couple new seedings in this week as I've got a bigger home for the girls now :) I've got some free samples due tomorrow so I'll be picking 3 to go in with the pineapple as she's so behind so will still be fine for another 4 week veg :)

• Like 1

Hi Nerzo

good luck with the temps.the pic of PC is a clone from this past summer.gen 4 gen 5.more likely about 10/12 weeks. it takes a bit till they root,then look out.thats a very good smoke,high power,very good for arthritis pain.we start in small cup size container,that photo the plant was transplnted into a tray type of container.then up tp a 7 gallon bucket that has perforations for airflow and water feeding.now the containers are 34litre,rectangular shape.

the growing aspect of Cannibus becomes as addictive,as or more than the smoking of....! be patient and keep up with the forums, here is all kinds of knowledge and advice.

• Like 1

Wow 34 litre pot will do wonders for your roots :) I've only started of in 4 litre pots then I'll transplant to a 15 litre pot I've also got a casey jones seedlings and 2 X shoreline seedling just gone in with the pineapple chunk tonight to :) I've got the temps around 74f with lights on and around 60 -62 with lights of now so it's really made a massive difference and the pc is really starting to fit in and grow nice now :)

• Like 1

I had the same thing on my seedling in one of my house wher the humidity was really low, do you have low humidity? but don't worry too much if it's only the weird looking leaves your problem it usually disapear on the new sets of leaves.

good luck man :)

My humidity is around 55-60 I got really worried as she looked amazing last night and over night she's gone like that, I raised the light abit now to do you think I may of had it to close and that could of caused it or is 55-60 abit to low for my humidity, thanks lams appreciate the help alot