Strain Hunters Scam?

-=DrGreenThumb=-

Well Arjan and his right hand man Franko certainly talk the talk but do they walk the walk?

When, if ever, are they actually going to release somethng with some of these land race genetics in?

Why is "strain hunters" just old green house strains crossed with each other?

I'm disapointed and at a loss to understand why "strain hunters" brand was started if they are just going to rehash their existing Green House genetics, was it purely a marketing/rebranding tactic?

Someone give me some good news about them testing land races from GH/SH and they are just taking a long time to breed and these "old" hybrids are just their to see people over with limited edited crosses untill the ACTUAL land race genetics are done being breed!?

• Like 1

Wether or not they are JUST GH strians or not im more than happy

with the crossing of what ever made white strawberry skunk

Genetics: Swiss Erdbeer (feminised) | 50% indica - 50% sativa

PEACE

If it's just Green Houses new hybrids then that's fine but I've heard them saying for years how they were visiting all these countries to collect genes to bring back for their customers... what I'm wondering is what was the motovation behind  releasing non-land race genes under "strain hunters" and what kind of time scale their customers are looking for before we can try some of these land races?

Don't get me wrong, I've bought White Lemon from them as I love Lemon and I love El Nino but that''s not the question here! lol

Are they hunting strains around the globe or just looking in the cuboard upstrairs? lol

• Like 1

i am rather new here but this is how i see it ,

First of if you had read the whole testing thread you would have read that there are landrace genetics coming out later this year for testing? I might be wrong there but i don't think i am.

Second  , have you ever dealt with landraces? they are serious beasts that need to be tamed for your average grower. I personally have Swazi landrace and malawi landrace and they are beasts growing over 4m tall with 25 week + flowering times , what normal grower would buy those?

These landraces need lots of breeding to get to your doorstep and that takes time , years. In my mind any breeder worth anything will only release a strain that is ready to go out and i can imagine it would take a while to get them ready.

Just my 2 cents and the way i see it

I am not saying i am right but that is how i look at it

Cheers

Reaf

• Like 3

I agree with Reaf, and see your point also as i did the same thing when looking through there web site ( when are these strain's landrace's) but i for one are looking forward to seeing there landrace's and the said seed testing in months to come.

peace Bushy

• Like 1

There will be landrace strains available in the future from SHS but as Reaf says it's a project that could last 10 years+ to stabilise these strains or even longer for crosses of them. This takes so long to accomplish you can't expect it a few years after seed collection. Simon from serious seeds is a prime example, he's STILL working on strains from the 1990s! There needs to be a huge amount of growing to bring you the stability you want and expect. I for one will sit with patience for my Malawi seeds :) Haha :)

• Like 4

What Gonzo sayed :)

Btw dont thake the white strawberry skunk as a Swiss Erdbeer Cross cause this is a lie. its onls for the $$$ Greenhouse has no original Swiss Strawberry in theyr chamber if they got anything near to it then its a Green Hornet Genethic which is not the real thing ;)

Sad tho would go nuts for the real Genethicts after i lost them some years ago to the fancy police officer :P

Cheers

• Like 1

Well thanks everyone for all yoru answers :)  it resumed everything that is involved in there and the time it takes to realease the strains, landraces are very dificult strains to grow for most people around the world, and true wild strains so also dificult to handle them in artificial environment, the work SH is to  select the best of those and make them affordable to most growers without changing them to still get the real deal, and this for sure takes a lot of time! Gonzo mentionned Simon from serious and the long time he takes to realease strains everytime, but they are always worth the waiting i think :) So with time comes the goods, yes it is long i am the first to be anxious to see them believe me! but i know it takes time, and if you go across the forum and the threads about this you will also see that some little troubles in the seed production have delayed a LOT the work they had done and all had to be made again from scratch :rabbi:

so anyways the waiting will hopefully soon come to an end, some strains i know have been more easy to stabilize than some others so this should lead in some nice genetics coming this year, let's all keep our finger crossed and touch all the wood you can ;)

Cheers!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

i wouldnt know a Swiss Erdbeer Cross if i had one, what i do know is its like

a strawberry sweet shop in my tent and that is lovely

and yes i can see how it could take years to breed and then select breeding

to give stable genetics

PEACE

Hi Slimjim, I've been looking for people doing White Strawberry Skunk, who can give me a little feedback on it, and was wondering if you could shed some light on the strain for me, I've got 15 on the go now, and am looking for information on it.

While I've been searching White Strawberry Skunk, I've been watching the Strain Hunters video's on my other screen, and thought I'd put my 2 pence in!!

I've read people ripping into them for giving out GH seeds to places where they get Land Races, but no one mentioned that most of the growers that they were giving / swapping seeds with, have seeds from elsewhere already! 

So while, yes, they are giving out strains, the growers in the places they visit are already looking for ways to increase their yields and harvest times e.g. in Jamaica they were talking about there strains giving 2 crops annually, and other imported strains being 8 weeks.. 

It seems to me that, once Strain Hunters begin selling Land Race hybrids, the desired traits of the LR's will be preserved to an extent; as the LR's genetics seem to be getting diluted in their natural environments already!

Another thing that I noticed is that many of the LR's that they've looked at wouldn't be desired by many growers - skinny plants, with not a huge amount of bud per branch! which brings me to my next point, as humans we breed crops to what we want them to be e.g. corn, wheat, etc. didn't start the way we know it now, it's been bred to suit our needs e.g. yield, size, etc., same as cannabis! I remember reading somewhere that even cannabis has been bred to increase yield, etc. since way back when (not going to give a number as I don't remember)! 

I watched one in Africa where the government actually wiped out a native LR; if you ask me, SH's got there too late!!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It is a scam. End of story.

As an outdoor grower of 40 years experience I can tell you right now that we want the original landrace seeds okay. We can't get the plants big enough or wild enough or flowering long enough and it's always been that way so I have no idea what you are talking about here.

We can get inbred landraces anywhere... we can get landrace hybrids anywhere.... the whole internet is full of them. The whole attraction of landraces is the fact that they are exactly what they are... 4 metres plus... take forever to start flowering and forever to finish...

That's exactly what a landrace is meant to be and exactly why we chase them. The minute you start inbreeding them and crossing them and messing with them they become less desirable to me and all the growers like me. Furthermore they are no longer landraces the minute you start messing with them.

When seedbanks mess with landraces they invariably choose for shorter height, shorter flowering time, earlier flowering time and big buds. In other words it becomes like every other plant on the market just about.... crippled for the sake of the indoor growers into some mutated stunted version of the once great majestic landrace. The seedbanks always say they choose for potency yet the seedbank version never has the hammer blow of the original.

There is also a more or less accepted theory amongst many botanists that landrace cannabis sativa sp. loses potency over successive generations outside a natural tropical environment and may even eventually adapt itself to become more ruderalis in nature. This is another reason we prefer original landrace seed whenever possible... hand collected in the country of origin... or first generation open pollinated.

Anything selected, crossed or feminised is generally less desirable. 

I also have concerns about GHSC and landraces. I read their info on various landrace strains and was gobsmacked to hear them saying sativas like Thai are low strength. Whatever. The only reason us growers persist with really hard to grow feral sativas that can take nine months to flower is because they can have an absolutely explosive psychoactive effect compared to all those hybrids the market is flooded with. Reading the info I got the impression GHSC never actually tried real Thai Stick back in the day.

For the record... I've been growing a long, long time and grown thousands of cannabis plants including the most expensive cutting edge hybrids I could get my hands on but the most potent cannabis I have ever smoked has/is always tropical sativa landrace of some description. Often some scrawny plant that looks like ditchweed.

GHSC has grown a lot more dope than I have and travelled the world so they must know about landraces. In fact they wouldn't go to all the trouble to seek them out unless they know the potential of landrace seed. So I'm very wary of the fact they seem to be deliberately misleading the public in an effort to promote their own hybrids which all the growers I hang with would class as inferior to genuine landrace.

The way I see it this site is a marketing scam. It appears that GHSC are simply collecting landrace seed to breed yet more hybrids and yet more so called "stabilised" lines for the indoor market. The reason they're not offering original seed is because it happens to be priceless to breeders. All these hybrids are worthless and none of us buy them or grow them. They're not real hybrids botanically speaking... they're crossbreeds or mongrels and useless for breeding purposes. Great for selling to kids who don't know any better to grow in their bedroom closet but useless for mass plantings outdoors.

It's like the bully at school having a big tub of ice cream while nobody else has any and going "nyah nyah nyah look what I've got and you aren't having any.."

It's rubbish to say nobody wants landrace seed. All the growers I know including myself have been chasing it our entire lives and seedbanks like RSC with genuine landrace are always sold out of the good stuff as soon as it comes in. I know more growers who want landrace seed than any other type.

scrubdog

• Like 1

And what about waiting to grow at least one of the Landrace before saying they are a Scam haha ;):rabbi:   You seem pretty wise in what you say, and have experience with landraces, so let's let the seed talk for us :)

I have had a very good news in the mailbox recently, in the coming weeks we should have available in test a few sets of landraces seeds, finally time has come, i will keep you all updated when we have a date ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is a scam. End of story.

As an outdoor grower of 40 years experience I can tell you right now that we want the original landrace seeds okay. We can't get the plants big enough or wild enough or flowering long enough and it's always been that way so I have no idea what you are talking about here.

We can get inbred landraces anywhere... we can get landrace hybrids anywhere.... the whole internet is full of them. The whole attraction of landraces is the fact that they are exactly what they are... 4 metres plus... take forever to start flowering and forever to finish...

That's exactly what a landrace is meant to be and exactly why we chase them. The minute you start inbreeding them and crossing them and messing with them they become less desirable to me and all the growers like me. Furthermore they are no longer landraces the minute you start messing with them.

When seedbanks mess with landraces they invariably choose for shorter height, shorter flowering time, earlier flowering time and big buds. In other words it becomes like every other plant on the market just about.... crippled for the sake of the indoor growers into some mutated stunted version of the once great majestic landrace. The seedbanks always say they choose for potency yet the seedbank version never has the hammer blow of the original.

There is also a more or less accepted theory amongst many botanists that landrace cannabis sativa sp. loses potency over successive generations outside a natural tropical environment and may even eventually adapt itself to become more ruderalis in nature. This is another reason we prefer original landrace seed whenever possible... hand collected in the country of origin... or first generation open pollinated.

Anything selected, crossed or feminised is generally less desirable. 

I also have concerns about GHSC and landraces. I read their info on various landrace strains and was gobsmacked to hear them saying sativas like Thai are low strength. Whatever. The only reason us growers persist with really hard to grow feral sativas that can take nine months to flower is because they can have an absolutely explosive psychoactive effect compared to all those hybrids the market is flooded with. Reading the info I got the impression GHSC never actually tried real Thai Stick back in the day.

For the record... I've been growing a long, long time and grown thousands of cannabis plants including the most expensive cutting edge hybrids I could get my hands on but the most potent cannabis I have ever smoked has/is always tropical sativa landrace of some description. Often some scrawny plant that looks like ditchweed.

GHSC has grown a lot more dope than I have and travelled the world so they must know about landraces. In fact they wouldn't go to all the trouble to seek them out unless they know the potential of landrace seed. So I'm very wary of the fact they seem to be deliberately misleading the public in an effort to promote their own hybrids which all the growers I hang with would class as inferior to genuine landrace.

The way I see it this site is a marketing scam. It appears that GHSC are simply collecting landrace seed to breed yet more hybrids and yet more so called "stabilised" lines for the indoor market. The reason they're not offering original seed is because it happens to be priceless to breeders. All these hybrids are worthless and none of us buy them or grow them. They're not real hybrids botanically speaking... they're crossbreeds or mongrels and useless for breeding purposes. Great for selling to kids who don't know any better to grow in their bedroom closet but useless for mass plantings outdoors.

It's like the bully at school having a big tub of ice cream while nobody else has any and going "nyah nyah nyah look what I've got and you aren't having any.."

It's rubbish to say nobody wants landrace seed. All the growers I know including myself have been chasing it our entire lives and seedbanks like RSC with genuine landrace are always sold out of the good stuff as soon as it comes in. I know more growers who want landrace seed than any other type.

scrubdog

Not doubting your experience, or length of time growing, although I do believe you've jumped in with a point to prove yet simply went off on a tangent and confused terminology in the process.

What I think you mean is that you want pure sativa strains.. If a landrace is what you describe, the term sativa would never exist!

"A landrace refers to a local variety of cannabis that has adapted to the environment of its geographic location" Any indigenous strain either sativa or indica is a landrace!!

I think what you mean is that you want pure strain sativa's (which makes you a minority!)

What we wanna see is landrace hybrids, with the best of both worlds!! The best indicas and sativas crossed with something to truly complement it, e.g. A low yielding but beautiful tasting sativa hybridised to produce a high yielding plant similar to the original landrace in terms of high, taste, etc.

If you've got a problem with hybrids or indicas start a thread and rant about it! If you've got a problem with ghsc and strain hunters, at least educate yourself on the reason for your resentment, rather than spout nonsense!! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

? So u are telling ur Sativa=Bad Indica=Good ?

No, Greg is telling us that he just read the book and in that book they classed  sativa as hemp. All Greg is saying that we should read the book. I was thinking of buying it actually. I would say Greg loves "sativa" as much as the next one but we need to keep with the time and relearn what we know...