Bees using Cannabis pollen to make Honey with THC

Has anybody ever had a cannabis field large enough to support a hive of honey bees?  Wondering if the honey will contain any THC?  If anybody has any information I would appreciate it... like how many plants can a hive handle?

• Like 1

mm interesting thinking ^^ i dont know if it would actually work, if you think about it i think the bees collect the pollen of the flowers to make the honey, in our case they would collect the pollen of our males or hermie plants, would the pollen contain THC?  i am not sure about it, i mean it clearly has the genetic inside it but i dont think it would come out in the honey, unless the bees also "drink" the nectar or something like this ? Maybe then they would collect in the trichomes the "nectar" but i dont know enough about bees ^^

• Like 1

Yeah, that would be a quick way to seed hell, if there were males around!!  I'm thinking that as they walk on the flowers they will collect trichomes and bring them back to the hive, but I'm not sure.  I know that some cultures collect the honey that bees make from flowers which are poisonous to humans.  A few teaspoons and you are so "drunk" you can't even walk.  I know that certain flavors are infused into the honey like clover and wildflowers, etc.  I guess I will find out this summer.  I will document it and take pictures to share with everybody if it works.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

the problem is that THC is not produced so early when the bees to their thing... also they take male pollen and when they land on a female, they will pollinate it and here comes the "seeder" aka hermi.

we tried and feed the stems and leaves of finished plants to goats and there was some trace of THC in milk but not that much. but the goat was stoned for days :)

peace

man

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

That's an interesting question. I'm aware of Rhododendron pollen carrying poisonous alkaloids which are retained in the Honey but THC isn't also an alkaloid to my understanding as it's a cannabinoid. It would seem data on the THC and CBD content of Cannabis or the testing of Honey harvested from a hive of Bees on a Cannabis field. Hopefully someone with a more detailed understanding chimes in!

after spring-summer testing under a greenhouse, we concluded that during flower period the THC cristals that form on buds atract bees. they fly from bud to bud and try to polinate the flowers. since we had controled greenhouse with just feminized plants, we had no problem of polinating female buds with male buds/seeds. so the bees were really busy and still are, gathering the polen/THC/cristals from all the plants and converting them into a THC rich honey. I don't know the percentage of the THC content but my guess would be that it's very high. also it tastes anazing :)

more to come when the summer ends

bless you all

peace

man

• Like 2

after spring-summer testing under a greenhouse, we concluded that during flower period the THC cristals that form on buds atract bees. they fly from bud to bud and try to polinate the flowers. since we had controled greenhouse with just feminized plants, we had no problem of polinating female buds with male buds/seeds. so the bees were really busy and still are, gathering the polen/THC/cristals from all the plants and converting them into a THC rich honey. I don't know the percentage of the THC content but my guess would be that it's very high. also it tastes anazing :)

more to come when the summer ends

bless you all

peace

man

Interesting! With all the loosening of laws in the US, I wonder if this is something that might be explored more into in the near future. I would love to try a Weed honey!

• Like 1

Hiho,

I´m super baked so excuse me if wrong....but I dont think anything of this works like this....first: pollen (male sperm) surely does not contain any THC ...why should it ? apart of the fakt a a Pollen is a feq µm big I gues...The trichomes where allt of the thc is produced is a looot bigger (U need this hole thing to synthesise THC so I doubt there is any mechanism some vesicles coult travel into pollen (on molecular base..not the trichome fusing with pollen^^). Second: Dope is pollinated by wind...doesnt care for insects...even have trichomes to get them off the flowers....Third: Due to the fact that Dope does not produce big amounts of fructoe and shit syrup...aka honye... no Bee will reallly try to collect anything from it. In contra to ur observation?! maybe they were curious about the smell...but did the really try to suck anything out of them ?

again sorry if totally wrong but Im preatty sure about it...

Bless

• Like 1

FragmopG, in my case of this experiment, bees are really doing the hard work. hen the plants were in early stages of veg, bees just hop from top to top and try to "do their work". when the flowering period of the plants kicked in and buds started to form, bees multiplied and really put the work in high gear. I suppose they are atracted by the buds themselves, they walk around the bud and since we used a high crystal strain(GhS WW cross with native Slovenian outdoor strain) the crystals are all over this place. eapecially on the bees. they look like Elton John in the 70's and probably feel like him too...

my conclusion is, that bees just do "their work", and try to transfer "polen" from one bud/flower to the another and so on.. since there's no way plant could get polinated by male plants, female plants produce more buds and more crystals, crying to get polinated by a male. bud bees don't know that, like I said, they are just doing their work.

and the "honey", it doesn't look like your normal honey. it's more like semi-liquid glossy substance with a significant smell and taste. for 99% it would look and taste bad but since we have just started on this experiment it is what it is, a "cannahoney" :) we already talk about next year plans, we'll put frut plants with the canna plants in the same closed greenhouse like lemon/orange or just a simple tomato. it's stil in the resarch part of this "new thing" but so far it's really awesome to be in the greenhouse full of buds, bees and huge amount of crystals. yes, one thing I concluded aswell was that by "atacking the bud" and "extracting" the crystals, plant form even more of it and is just "shiny and chrome" ;)

bless you all

if there's any more Q I will try to answer them all

peace

man

nice link with interesting reading material but I wouldn't totally agree on it. since we can "make" our own bee-queens with 100% sucses rate and a hive that expands up to 20.-30.000 bees in a "season" and use them in a "enclosed controled greenhouse" our case is totally different. bees seem disoriented since the absence of nectar/juice from the female plants but they don't care. they know what to do on instinct and since there's nothing than female buds in the greenhouse they try to "polinate" them and feed themselves. we did put extra honey in the hive for the food but trust me, the are flying on the buds and collecting the crystals that just sticks to them just like if you go trough a bud and have hands covered in crystals(basically like a charas type but different)

but this is a open coverstaion and our experiment is still going. when the "season" will end I will put up pics and details.

bless you all

peace

man

I would love to see it working! Granddad was a beekeeper, so i have some experience, but that was not greenhouse, so i can only speak about "wild" cases. I know that back in the days industrial hemp cultivation was big, and as cannabis is 1 of the latest crops around here, in some cases when other sources of food was already out, they went to cannabis fields to collect pollen.

Hiho,

Okay so the bees tries to pollinate the female plants (or better: just based on their instict do it like ubuntu says right) ...but in the end...because they dont produce fructose syrup (and no pollen since female) nothing would contribute (mass) to their honey.

Or do u (Ubuntu) mean that all the Taste/and THC comes from the accidently stuck to the bees trichomes ?

Additionally there is surely no THC in The pollen of Male ones (but why have a field of males?!). So if the bees collect them and use them (which I doubted but u and the link told me otherwise) the only thing that might could be in the honey is enzymatic digested pollen. So the Honey mighy be smelling/tasting diffrent maybe even weed like?! but never contain any THC!

bless

btw: loved to see that goat :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hiho,

Okay so the bees tries to pollinate the female plants (or better: just based on their instict do it like ubuntu says right) ...but in the end...because they dont produce fructose syrup (and no pollen since female) nothing would contribute (mass) to their honey.

Or do u (Ubuntu) mean that all the Taste/and THC comes from the accidently stuck to the bees trichomes ?

Additionally there is surely no THC in The pollen of Male ones (but why have a field of males?!). So if the bees collect them and use them (which I doubted but u and the link told me otherwise) the only thing that might could be in the honey is enzymatic digested pollen. So the Honey mighy be smelling/tasting diffrent maybe even weed like?! but never contain any THC!

bless

btw: loved to see that goat :-)

alloha

it's quite funny how everything looks. the bees are relaxed so I can walk in the greenhouse without the protection gear and look really fab:) they instinctly look for pollen/juice but come accross with just tricomes. but that doeant stop them to do their job on instinct. so the "honey" is actually a semi liquid keef. the smell, look, tecsture and taste are completely diff from normal honey.

you are right about males producing the neede pollen/juice for the real honey but like you said, why having a fieald of males. but, next year plan is to have 2 greenhouses: one with only males and the other with just females. this year is going great but for the first year we had some complications. the freenhouse wasnt enclosed as well as we wanted so some bees escaped and died, the greenhouse got "infected" coz my friend was stupid enouh to put his cat inside the Gh.... anyway, despite the problems we will have something to show in the end.

yeah , the goat was amazing :) sadly she went back to her original farm but we will have a pair of geese in the Gh next year. the dont eat the cannabis (that much :)) but deffinitely work well as a security and fertilizer agent. and I loooove them so mich. they are like dogs with feathes and winga :)

anyway, have a nice summer end and hear from you guys soon.

bless you all

peace

man

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello guys, so while surfing a little bit around i came back on this old thread ^^

And i have some new updates about this so lets just share it while im here ;)

It does seem to be possible finally to make some cannahoney, i have met a Beekeeper named Nicolas not long ago,  a really nice french guy that claimed to have some cannahoney. I had heard about it already a year ago more or less, and once again by Simon strainhunter during the Irun expogrow as it seems Nicolas was here but i didnt get to meet him at that time.

So finally after a few month and discussions with Simon and nicolas we met during spannabis, and the job he is doing is really interesting and inovative! There are definitly a lot of secrets behind his technique and a lots of the parts are not revealed to anybody, but basically it would be like any animals, hard work and patience, teach the bees how to do it, show them daily during hours until it comes naturally, and the results that comes out is really tasty! As far as knowing if it really does gives you a buzz, i couldnt tell honestly. I go a little bit smoked during the whole day and didnt have the oportunity to try it on a nice morning when i havent smoked and really judge it. but im sure that time will come ;)  

Now the interesting part will be when somebody manage to make a proper analysis of what it contains, does the bee manage to collect all the canabinoids when they use it for the propolis which is the "wax" part that is around the honey lets say ^^, or do some of the components get lost in the infusion process when it transfers to the honey, how long will it last, will it oxydate or transform the same way with the honey, so many questions to be answered, but it seems we are finally on the way ;) 

12694488_1219779104717043_2770815275309520012_o.jpg

12717961_1234746499886970_7372315057660705826_n.jpg

I let you know if some things move on this topic!

Have a good smoke and honey toast everybody!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...