Jamaica- In Search of the TRUE and AUTHENTIC "Lamb's Bread"

GHGrower

I'd like to see the the TRUE and legendary "Lamb's Bread" from Jamaica brought back into cultivation reality...

From what I hear, much of Jamaica's genetics have been grown or crossed with modern cultivars and the famed "Lamb's Bread" is difficult or impossible to come by. I know there is a "Lamb's Bread" available in some of California's dispensaries, but I truly doubt its "true" Lamb's Bread of famed status with Rastarfarians, in particular Bob Marley.

The commercial success would be absofuckin' phenomenal in my opinion. Definitely a sativa... providing an uplifiting, creative and deeply spiritual high. People would go crazy over it. I'd really like to see a Strain Hunter Expedition on it. It would be a gift to the world.

the problem with most jamaican growers is they pollinate almost always with a hermaphroditic plant so that they get an all female crop. but the problem is this makes long term breeding problems with strains and alot become very unstable. breeders are working on bringing the original strain back but i dont know how successful they were or how to get seeds. good luck greenthumb

• 1 month later...

I was in Montego Bay Jamaica recently for vacation. As a result of the numerous rumors i heard from the locals, i went to nine mile Jamaica and their i saw 10-15 Lambs bread/breath plants(Depends on who you ask). Or atleast thats what the growers told me they were. The buds did have some seeds but i managed to get most of them out. One of the growers just gave me this big jamaican handfull into a paper bag for $35. And it was hands down the best sativa i have ever had.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there in Jamaica about 3 weeks ago and went up to Nine Mile and do the tour at Bob Marleys. I found it to be a very clean stone.No head warping but a little on the couchlock side.Being a Diabetic I decided to test my blood sugars with this weed and watched my blood sugars go down from an 7.8 to a 4.6 in around 15 minutes. I had enough to last me a week and it was amazing how it worked with the amount of food I was eating :). I would say that this type of Sativa would make a great Medical grade of smoke!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This must be one of the best weed in the world....

i have heard about this one i have a few friends that went to jamaica and smoked this and tell me its the best weed theyve smoked in there life...

would be a very nice exepedition to jaimaica would be nice to see the rasta culture and the different strains of jamaica!

Im very interested to see what i can find on my future trip coming up in a month to the west end of jamica, Negril. Sativas are very enjoyable in my opinion, as well as a good contrast to potent couch-locking indicas. It would be great to see a strain hunter search for the popular rastafarian strain lambs bread in Jamaica, a country known world wide for its potent cannabis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah, it's for sure a very interesting mission... I was in Jamaica in 1994 (!!!) when I smoked the Lamb's Breath (bought some in Port Antonio, San san Bay to be exact.... and it was AMAZING, I still remember it now).

I don't know if it's still possible to find a pure version.

Maybe we'll go and have a look one of the next trips....;-)

Invite me along if you go to Jamaica Franco. I still have friends in Jamaica and know the area well. It wasn't too far from Port Antonio where I enjoyed the Lamb's Breath. Port Antonio has an amazing history and is worth a visit for that alone. It is also close to Errol Flynn's home. I met his widow there once.

hit me and Ill give you a tour of red grung where my grandfather has 2 acres of everything green and sticky. He has been known for his diversity and scientific approach to farming this wonderful vegitation since the early 80s. Lambs breath is cool but dont forget to try the tarbay

• 1 month later...

Over here in California there are clubs north and south that offer Lambsbread cuttings now and then. It is one of my personal favorites and everyone that I have shared it with also likes it, it is very unique and special. I would like to see it available in seed form if possible so an expedition in search of it would be my top vote.
There must be other strains indigenous to Jamaica worth hunting too, please go there soon fellas. I have never been there but it would probably be better to keep a low profile in some places. You might have to call it: "Strain Smugglers"

• 1 month later...

I do not live in Jamaica, but I do live in the caribbean.

Here we gets lots of really really good Jamaican weed, I have now idea what the exact strain's name is, however since its from Jamaica, we call it Jama (Djama).

The smell alone is different, you recognize it from its unique smell, if its fresh from there. And I'm telling you, when the quality is shit, it is shit...but when the quality is good, OOOH, its a complete different taste of weed.

On wednesday I got my hands on 5 grams of the good quality. really really good ... really nice green,nice snow, it burnt nice (ash test), smelled nice, tasted nice .. i was stoned for 2 hrs, and high for another 4 ...

I collected 8 seeds from this bag, and I really want to do an outdoor grow and see how well it'll grow here.

I shall keep you posted.

Rgrds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi!

I was 4 times in Jamaica , mainly in Negril, Orange Bay (greatest place for weeds as I was told), the hills near Sav-La Mar and of course Kingston and the Blue Mountains and once in Ocho rRos region but most of the weeds were bought from a local top supplier on Negril beacj, he had a large house on the beach back then..., that sold the Sensemillia for 100 dollar US an ounce as far back as 1979, I must have smoked a pound of that during that stay. It iwas so good that an ounce is not much for 2 friends per day ..lol

Anyway, there was a dramatic difference between my first visits and my last in 87 when it was all about Indica and Skunk. not that the weed wasn't great, it was better on an overall level the bush weeds were completely gone from the market, and it was a steady supply with 3 or 4 crops per year. When it was Lambs Bread or even Kings bread and those mystic Rasta weeds i am talking about it was hard to findthese in larger quantitiies in the summer. harvest time was after the rainy season in November to February. Planting time in march.. up to full 9 month cultivation , blloming in the rainy summer time ! Every week the buds looked better and prices were more affordable, just like in the Mango season where 1 Mango can be quite costly at first and a month later you get 20 for 1 dollar in the country.

The one thing i noticed Franco say about the Carrot smell ! That's typical, follow that smell, the more minty fresh and pungent the better, avoid the musky earthy tones. It tastes different, but that carrot smell is at least with fresh crop always there.

My fave was an all green weed that looked like that large plant next to Peter Tosh on Legalize It. You could think it was a true wheat, rye or something. That tasted best and had the finest meditative high I ever had . Bought 6 ounces of that ! You cannot trust the names in most cases. Lambsbread Collie is probably a St Martian Colombia Weed mixed with some ganja brought from india with indians moving to Jamaica. Another fave was a m all pink Sensi, the first i bought from that Bongo guy. "Like gold you see it you want it, no matter the price". True. Brown large colas and green,golden Lambsread buds s were also tasty, probably Panama Red / mexican . carribbean connection...I doubt the Arawaks had Sativas or Indicas, but who knows. Most trees and plants were brought to Jamaiica, Breadfruit esp. from Tahitie to feed the slaves . still a llessing today. I doubt much breadfruit trees are left on Negril beach... there is a Mango walk near Red Ground, sweet in May.

Excuse me getting carried away..

The search goes on..

• Like 1

Thankks !

Yeah,Jamaica is always worth a visit,

Check those videos from urbangrower.com who was in Ocho Rios this year and he shows plenty nice buds. They catch up with seeds and strains from all around.

Like many visitors I fell in love with that island and the people there,

The music of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Culture & Burning Spear brought me there in the first place -it clicked and today i like Vybez Kartel, Mavado ,Buju Banton and Busy Signal to name a few .

• Like 1

Yeah, that is one of three or four he posted during his vacation in Ochie..

I like that dude and his videos are among the best.

Thanks for the link Lams !

There is also a pretty interesting youTube video from a big plantation In Orange Bay, Westmoreland - very close to Negril..

These crazy guys know exactly their strains.

Is it okay if I post a link...

Maybe you want to check it first to see if it is appropriate ?