organics

nicc1976

im just starting to try and go organic im feeding my critical mass autos big budda with chicken pellets ive left them in soil for a mouth and they love it im just stuck on what to give them when they start to bud i now i can use bat gauna and some 1 said you can use sea weed if any body has any suggestions please can you help had a lot off problems off late so have not been able to grow and im trying my hardest not to use any chemicals has i have always used canna or green houses powder feed but the weed is for me as i will not buy street weed i go with out so any help will be very helpful thanks 

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty new to this myself, but a more experienced grower was telling me that with organics, you don't really grow the plants as much as you grow the soil if that makes any sense. He said that it's pretty vital to have a compost pile and worm bin ready to go when growing organic. Another guy recommended mixing Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Happy Frog but he was of a different philosophy (he said he usually started adding nutes about 3 weeks in). 

• 3 weeks later...

What zie pot is your auto in as well ?

Its always good to start your plant in the pot your are looking to finish you plant of in.

Also the great thing about organics is that it can be quite hard ti actually mess the plants up.

As long as you really don't over do it with nutrients you should be fine .

If you can or have the space try some tests out .

Label the plants and always right do what you do each plant.

For example feed one of your autos with your new nutrient solution and one different.

Try different pot sizes and so on .

After a few grows you will become one with your plants and start to feel and no whats right for them.

I personally don't grow auto flowers myself but i believe if i tried the first time i would get somethings wrong .

Never be ashamed to make mistakes in the garden,

thats how you become a great grower.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the biobizz range , bio-grow after about three or four weeks of growth at half strength with every watering until about three to four weeks into flower and the the bio-bloom also at half strength until the last two weeks before picking. Then a huge flush and plain water until you ready to harvest.

Different strokes for different folks but thats how i grow in soil  :biggrin:  and the smell/flavors are great.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I grow in an organic soil, it has been reused and re-amended many times, no pH-ing or anything, my tap water ranges from about 7.2-7.8 depending on time of year, about 220ppm, mostly calcium

In all honesty I feel there are multiple schools of thought on 'organic' growing ie. the kind of organics that comes out of a bottle with pH meters, or the kind where you are building soil and microbiology in a more sustainable fashion. I don't have a dog in this fight, I feel that however you grow, be it synthetic, store bought organic or wildcrafting nutrients caveman style; there is nothing better than growing your own, however you may go about that: I hope not to sound like some sort of rainbow warrior when discussing organics in general LOL but you'll have to excuse me if I get carried away sometimes

I agree a large part of organics not in a bottle style is going to be the composting game. Buying it will never compare to your own IME. Worm composting is very easy once you get the hang of it, and virtually work free. You can make static (you don't turn them) piles of outdoor compost that simply require a lot of time to break down, usually at least a year to 18 months. If you used the right woody mix the resulting compost will be highly fungal, and pair very nicely with your highly bacterial worm castings

worm castings are something I simply wouldn't grow without. Bought ones will never be as good as your own homemade stuff, but there are some alright brands out there, depending on where you live. The more local to you and fresh that they are, the better basically, if you can get them direct from a worm farm, all the better. Ask them what they are fed on, try and get one that is fed good things like vegetable wastes and rock meals if possible, or at least some of that, as opposed to only horse manure and cardboard for instance

bat guano is a good amendment, just don't ask how they harvest it; it ain't a pretty picture for the bats involved is what I'm saying. It's also extremely easy to over-do it

kelp is fantastic

fish and pretty much everything from the ocean is great too, get a hydrolyzed fish product as opposed to an emulsion when possible

alfalfa is dirt cheap an worth a real good look if you aren't already familiar, if it's not certified organic it's probably GMO, best avoid that

seed meals are good too for building great soil structure and providing long lasting nutrients; neem seed meal / neem press cake is what I use personally

apart from amendments, something I see often being left out of the general discussion is mulching. It is VITAL for real organic cycles to stay happening near the surface of the soil, where virtually all the nutrient feeding power is in cannabis plants. This can't happen continuously in a cycle without mulch unless you are keeping your pots way too wet for the surface to stay that wet

I have used biobizz (among several others) at some points as I went too, but basically most of their line can be easily replaced at a far better cost and oftentimes with better performance with buying the raw materials, their algamic is a bit of a joke really at that price, but yes, highly effective if you can get their line figured out right, no arguments there. Doesn't come cheap though so it should work eh

There are so many other amendments we could discuss at length, but really it's more about working with the local stuff you have around you IMHO, rather than looking for some magic bullet wonder amendment that has to be harvested and then shipped from some far away land to your door, guano being a classic example

I apologize for the rant not aimed at anyone in particular but thought I'd just discuss it based on the thread so far, give you guys my two cents

Cool

Pat