Disasterous Outdoors this year

More than 500 seeds broadcast, more than 50 seedlings transplanted outdoors.

It seems that None of the seeds survived, and only 2 of the 50 survived so far.  And they arent doing well at all.

Deer and slugs have destroyed this year's crop.

Just yesterday, I visited the last 2 NLs and photographed them.  Then just this morning went back to feed them again, and the deer got the tops of my best plant.  The deer were there just before me, as the fresh cropped leaves lay around the plant, still moist, freshly snipped. 

I hate deer.

post-32574-0-02118200-1437215928.jpg

post-32574-0-83754000-1437216676.jpg

post-32574-0-53740000-1437216776.jpg

post-32574-0-63057800-1437216939.jpg

post-32574-0-38141100-1437217117.jpg

post-32574-0-89363000-1437217244.jpg

post-32574-0-56809600-1437217340.jpg

post-32574-0-66836400-1437217461.jpg

• Like 1

Northern Light clones, the last ones from last year's indoor grow.

The last known survivor from the 50 (WW x SD) seedlings was also trampled multiple times by the deer.  With each and every visit, I had to re-bury the root-ball.  After 5 or 6 such visits, the plant finally gave up the ghost.

I just dont understand what goes on inside the mind of a deer, that he choses to treat Cannabis in this manner.

I am so sorry, my friends, fellow Strain Hunters, that my grow has become such a trajedy.  But in honesty, I feel it is also important to show the failures as well as the successes.  Hopefully, those who wish to learn here can benefit from documented failures as well.  That's part of the total experience.

As for me, I learned: 

I planted the transplants outside too early for this Location.  Next time I must wait til after May 15 for sure.

The (WW x SD) transplants were too immature for transplanting except for 4 or 5 of them.

I hadn't planned enough protection against slugs and deer (slug pellets and dog urine or dog-poo tea).

Still not brave enough to use wire mesh or netting against the deer as that would destroy the stealth.

I still need to scout-out some better places with more open skies.  The plants need more direct sunlight, that might also help to reduce the slug and deer damage.

But thank goodness that last year's crop was so good that at least I still have enough stash for the entire next year.

OK, I went back again to water the plants, and the deer struck yet again.  This time I collected up some of the deer-nipped stems and leaves, brought them home, and started another clone-grow.  I opened a new Grow Journal:

http://Forums.strainhunters.com/Topic/9334-northern-light-from-bulldog-seeds-clones-forced-by-the-deer/?p=134621

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Easier said than stealtily done.  I cannot afford to draw that much attention.  But thanks anyway, herbalist34.

Yeah, I've seen some nice green-coloured mesh wire nets, but even those would draw attention to those 2015 sites. 

I'll do a bit more trekking this Fall and Winter to find some other places less prone to deer and slugs, but the trade-off will be that the new sites will not be as conveniently close.  Watering will become therefore more difficult and more labor-intensive.

But at least a little good News:

Two more of the deer-forced clones have sprouted roots.  I'll post some pictures later at that thread.