Alternative to Coco

I decided to try Coco as a main source for growing. So i ordered Coco bricks  and for the very first time Palm-Tree soil. In bricks as well. So Iadded water and got around 10 litres of that medium. The plant loved it , so did I,substance. a pleasure to use. Compared to Coco I think it has it's advantages. Just that - nothing else and the Kush grew straight as a pole with decent branching and nice colas. Anyone else tried this ? http://www.amazon.de/ROMBERG-76530K-Palmen-gr%C3%BCnpflanzen-Packung/dp/B00GBK4YYG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1441010185&sr=8-8&keywords=palmen+erde

''Compared to Coco I think it has it's advantages''

it is 100% coco coir, same stuff so there cant be advantage over coco when you are using coco lol:D

that brand is just selling coco bricks with preloaded nutrients for different plant species but its still same coco coir

they got mixes for palm trees, mix for citrus, mix for ornamental flowers, mix for succulents etc etc with plant specific npk profile but still all coco just alot more expensive coco lol

https://www.popuperde.de/popup-erde/feinste-pop-up-palmenerde-gruenpflanzenerde-10-liter-packung-komprimiert/a-138/

Not to start fighting with words BUT A9 don't you think I am too stupid or ignorant to notice a difference between the Coco bricks I got from the very same brand vs these Palm Soils ?

B) the pprice on the link is riduculous. I paid only 3,95 for the Pam soil brick - all needed for that 1 plant.  10 litres in a round 11 l. round pot - no perlite no pebbles no nothing .. price vs value wass worth it imo.

I also bought 5 coco bricks and the substance was way more rough, and woody looking  not as fine cut and well cleaned as the palm soil. You see that immediately when preparing both side by side and even more once you watered the girls a few times. Advantages were much better drain, nicer feel and better smell.. It is both made from palm trees i.e. coconuts BUT the way they treat the stuff to get their product differs. They also use different ferts, you can easily smell and FEEL the difference. No other plant grew so perfect than the one in the Palm soil. It is special catered for palm trees, which often grow near the sea on the beach on a very sandy ground. Meaning the water drain is massive. That alone gives it an advantage. If I water a coco plant twice I watered the palm soil three times PLUS the surface fell dry very fast, so the temp for the plant is better. No sticky, cold. wet soil in the pot . Why not just try the stuff before telling me it is fake + overpriced. For palms it is perfect as the customer reviews stated. For ganja, too ..lol

You should respect more what i say. i am not a newbie, nor a fool and if the product did not wow me as it did i would NEVER waste my time telling it to other growers cause I know that not many grow shops offer this and not many growers tried it. If i will grow in coco related medium another time I make sure to use only the palm tree soil.

BTW here is where I found it. Hadforgotten the name of the shop and google just came up with that amazon link.

Bam

nice to hear that you experiment on new mediums. just one sugestion: check the PH of the palm "soil". we have it as well, the come in 250l bags and are around 15€. my concetn is that it has very low PH (3.5-4.5) and when mixing it into coco I didn't need zo PH my nutes(from tap without PH- it was around 7.2-7.5). but the plants didn't like it during the flowering period as mich as they love pure coco or cocoRW mix.

keep up the good work and keep us posted about your results.

bless you

peace

man

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the name of that growshop I tried for the first time in a long while - usually buy all my gear from another grow shop, where I can pay later on in case I am low on cash..lol

Besides esides growing fantastic it was also the taste of the buds , that were superb. Probably got a lot do with the genetics. I wanted a special soil/medium for that 1 freebie I got from Barney's - Vanilla Kush and that did not only look dank but the smell actually was enticing and I can dig why they call it Vanilla. It is a mix of Nepal and Kashmir Himalaya Kush. Great product - 5 seeds 36 Euro, so pricey but nor overprized. Anyway.

The palm pop up mix was pre fertilized and ph adjusted. No probs what so ever. I do watch the ph of the water and adjust it. we got terrible sour rain water (around 8, so not suited for moonshiners ..lol) The tap water is not much lower - around 7, so i always have to balance out the warter for the feedings or additives (Zymes,Rhizo and Ripen instead of flushing)

Okay the link =http://www.growland.net/Romberg-feinste-POP-UP-Palmen-Erde-10-Liter

no english translation but I found the package - ph is at 5 pre-fertilized per litre 200 MG Nitra, 100 MG Phosphor 600 MG Kalium plusMagnesium + Bor - also includes Zinc and Copper- Homegrow only - RHP organic approval.

Drain is what sold it to me - it is just nice and easy to work with. The roots were extremely fine towards the ground, shows ho much air came to that medium. 

• Like 1

the package says it has ph of 5.0... the palm tree version doesnt sound very optimal for canna, you get same drainage by choosing same grade of coco its that simple, dont need to pay extra for preferts

i only pointed out its coco because you clearly stated it is alternative to coco:D that doesnt make any sense.  you can start asking the respect when you stop putting out false information man words like ''Compared to Coco I think it has it's advantages.'' sounds pretty retarded when you are actually comparing coco to coco :D

its coco man i know there are different mixes of coirs  and some work better than others, like biobizz coco is completely different grade from gh bricks but you clearly implyed this is something different so that is why i made sure everyone knows its just expensive coco

''You should respect more what i say. i am not a newbie, nor a fool''     than stop posting nonsense that is misleading people, this is not the first time ive had to clear out your bs:)

Man you bore me with that 'but it is just  coco' - bullshit comments !!! Not all coco is processed the same way (this pam tree coco is made only from the shells, not the inside bast - and the palm tree soil is purer and looks brighter. It is obvious when you see the regular coc obrick next to the Palm tree coco. It is purer and more finely processed and the results proved it to me.

You got Plagron soil, Bi-Bizz and Canna Terra Terra Professional or Canna Bio, so does that mean it is all justthe same dirt just with different ferts. lol ?Try it out and hen comment again or simply shut up !

I do not force peops to buy the palm tree bricks but I was so excited about the better drain, nicer feel, better smell and clean buds I grew in that palm tree brick I wanted to pass on my EXPERIENCE as 'an alternative to the usual coco bricks'.

I do not need anyone hating on something he has no experience with. his will only lead to confusion

If it is the very same coco how come it drains so much better and looks, smells + feel different ?

Riddle me dat joker !

I don't know what you guys are fighting about butcan yuo give any pics/links to what you are saying bam and jankahar?

I wouldn't recomend using 100% coco if you don't want to spend every day in the grow. coco(or "palm soil") MUST be wet/moist all the time. you can't overwatter it but if it goes dry...troubles. also I like give my girls some privacy so i wisit them every 3 days and water every 3 days. how?

well I use 50:50 coco to rockwool chips ratio. 

coco:

it comes in a 5kg brick that blows up to 70l after applying 35l of PHed water.

it costs 8€ for 70l of coco

really insignificant nutes traces

link: http://www.homeogarden.com/Product/Details/organska-zemlja-9

rockwool (also Green Flocks):

it comes in 15kg bags, when "chunked" they fill 70l of medium(60l when wet)

cost is 20€ for 70l of rockwool chunks

stores more watter than it's weight: 1kg of rockwool can store 2-3l of water

link: http://www.oem.knaufinsulation.com/en/content/rsb-green-flocks

+ a pic(yeah it looks like buds :))

anyway, much cheaper and easier (not a PP or anything, just my weapon of choice after all there years)

ALSO IMPORTANT: flood&drain(ebb&flow) is much more sutable method of watering when using this king of medium. the top 5cm of medium stays DRY since day 1 and by watering from below you naturally rinse the mudium from all the salts etc.. also, PLANTS DO THEIR THING(PEE&POO) ON THE TOP OF THE MEDIUM. IF YOU WATER IT TRADICIONALLY(FROM THE TOP) YOU GIVE GIVE THEM BACK THEIR SHIT TO EAT, excuse my languge ladies...

for nutes go with PowderFeed and whatever zyme(pond zime is even better), SuperThrive is quite awesome and our own(ex-Yugoslavian) invention Agrostemin and that's it. 

nowdays I grow for so little it's getting hilarious. before I spent huge amount on nutes and equipment....

first grow: 6x600w on 3x3m - 3000-4000€ investment - 2-3 times return on investment

latest growop: 6x600w on 3x3m - 1000€ investment - 15-18 times return....

don't want to be know-it-all but to me, improving and reducing on cost is important. so you have time to improve quality ;)

bless you all

peace

man

post-35155-0-21768100-1442409204.jpg

''If it is the very same coco how come it drains so much better and looks, smells + feel different ?''

since you asked

there are 3 basic grades that come from processing the coconut shells no matter how you process it:D(pyth,coir,croutons) and different brands use different mixes of these types like coir+pyth  and some sell them in separated single grades

pyth is the darker brown fine stuff

coir is the long fiber

croutons are pieces of the hard shell it self          and this is the stuff you are talking about more than likely, its the fastest draining grade.

you could have found out about different coco grades too by reading so you dont have to buy all the dif brands and wonder why they are different

all these grades have different properties, different water to air ratios and different drainage qualities

there is no need to start searching for magical brand cocos among hundreds or testing that specific brand you say is so great if you know about the the grades and pick the one you need and most growers i know dont want to grow on the husk as it needs constant care unlike other grade mixes where you can stretch water/dry cycles for alot longer like mantumbu said aswell i like to water every 2-3 days

you could have easily read a bit research why that type of grade or mix of coco grades works better for your application instead of telling its some kind of alternative magic brand coco

its good coco grade for automated hydro but hard work for hand feeders