thailand

madnaaz

• 11 months later...

I'm a total amateur, but I've grown in Thailand for several years, sometimes local strains and sometimes imported seeds. As a growing location, Thailand has some great advantages and some big disadvantages.  What is really fantastic is the tropical sun, which provides a spectrum and intensity that could never be matched by artificial light. The sunlight fuels massive vegetative growth and superb flowers. Trichome production is off the charts. Another advantage is the rainy season. Started at the right time, vegging plants drink in all the pH neutral water they will ever want without need for supplemental watering. Last, because of the strong agricultural economy, organic nutrients and soil amendments are readily available and very cheap (I always grow fully organic). These include all kinds of manures and guanos, worm castings, rice husks, coco coir in all forms, Effective Microorganisms, etc. And making your own compost is very effective as well, since the warm climate speeds up decomposition. If you get the timing right, with nice large plants starting to flower in late October, you can look forward to 3-4 months of clear, cool, sunny weather, with virtually no rain, perfect for producing tasty buds.

As for the drawbacks, the biggest problem is light cycle. We see a steady 11-12 hours of daylight throughout the year. Left to their natural tendencies, most strains will  flower too early, without sufficient veg time to produce large and robust plants. So young plants require supplemental light to keep them in veg. Another challenge is the quality of local clay soil, which retains far too much water. In my early days I lost many plants to root rot. Nowadays I never include clay in my mixes and just mix my own media using compost, rice husks (for drainage), and perlite. Even in the cool season, there can be enough morning dew on the buds to invite mold and bud rot. Security is also a hassle, not just because penalties are severe, but because neighbors and workers can be nosy. Once word gets out, the whole village will know what's going on. But Thailand is looking seriously at legalizing medical weed and overall decriminalization, which could happen in the next 3 years. Fingers crossed.

Last thing, most weed on the local market is strong but poorly grown and handled, seedy and compressed. But I've grown great buds from bagseed. When properly sexed, harvested at the right time, and cured right, the local sativas really show their good genetics.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2017 at 9:05 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Jeez, I had a '66 Mustang 289/3-speed!  Sold her for $750.  Worst sale ever made.

Bought a '76 Chevy Monza 2+2 for $2400.  Worst purchase ever made.

Ohh...  Madnazz, I am so sorry, we have totally trashed your thread.  Please forgive us.

Harsh laws and treatment in Thailand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdiMmvFk5I

Thailand is also ridden with landmines. Testy strain hunt for certain.