Pineapple-Upside-Down-Cake that will flip your pineapple upside-down

If you like sweets, here is an old-fashioned favorite that just cannot be resisted.  I shall include the initial steps for infusing the cannabis into the Cannabutter, so if you already know how to do that, you can skip that section.

Image074.jpgImage075.jpg

The Cannabutter takes only about 5-to-10 minutes to grind the dried materials but needs 2,5 hours to properly decarboxylate, then 1 hour cooling before the fridge, then 2 to 4 hours chilling in the fridge or freezer before the butter-slab can be separated from the water-bowl.  So obviously, the Cannabutter should be made before-hand.  What I did here was, I made a batch of Cannabutter for you'all and I started it cooling, all the while making pictures for this presentation.  To continue the cooking session for the P-U-D-Cake, I used 125-grams of Cannabutter that I had in the freezer.  I like to keep a batch or two of well-sealed Cannabutter in the freezer at all times so that I can quickly cook a Canna-Dish at a moment's notice.

The P-U-D-Cake requires about 30-to-45 minutes to prepare, about 30 minutes to cook, about an hour to cool.

TOOLS that you will need:

Nested pots (or a pot and a glass bowl like my set-up), whatever works to perform the infusion into Cannabutter.

A sieve (or for even finer Cannabutter, use cheesecloth and a sieve when pressing the materials, as seen later)

Another glass bowl in which to chill the butter.  See the bowl that I used at the end of the Cannabutter recipe.

Something in which to cook the cake.  You can use a 10-inch iron skillet or a bake-form approximately 24x34cm.  I used a glass roaster 23x35x11cm.

Measuring cups and spoons of various sizes.

A sieve or a flour sifter (not absolutely necessary, but makes for a smoother batter)

A couple mixing bowls, one large, one small.

Electric mixer.

THE INGREDIENTS:

For the Cannabutter you will need:

~15 grams dried sugar-leaf trimmings or bud   (I do not mean just standard green fan-leaves.  They contain virtually no THC.  "Sugar-leaf" refers to the trichome-laden leaves and leaf-tips that are often trimmed-away when one is manicuring buds prior to curing.  Generally, these trimmings have too much carbon and leaf in comparison to the trichomes to be an enjoyable smoke; that's why we trim them away.  But they do contain sufficient trichomes to be used for infusions.  But just the same as buds, these trimmings need to be allowed to dry and cure somewhat in order to convert the chlorophyl and THC to the desireable compounds before being used here.  Obviously, the stronger your selection of materials, the stronger the effects, so you can use top-notch smokeable bud if you wish.)

250-grams butter (unsalted)

~300ml water (used at the end of the 2,5 hours simmering)

For the P-U-D-Cake you will need:

4 eggs

1/2 cup butter (In our case, 125-grams Cannabutter)  (This butter is for the bottom of the pan where the pineapples are.)

1 cup light brown sugar

1 can sliced pineapple rings (20-oz can has around 10-rings)

~10 maraschino cherries, halved (I used about 20 whole; one cake had maraschino, the other had Amareto cherries)

1 cup sifted flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon butter, melted (or you can set-aside a couple spoonfuls of Cannabutter)  (This butter is added to the batter.)

1 teaspoon almond extract (I used about 1/4 cup sliced almonds.)  (Optional)

The scrapings from the inside of about 1/2 Vanilla Pod, or 2 small packets of vanilla sugar (Optional, but the cake is better with the Vanilla.)  (Please don't use artificial flavorings.)

In the next post we begin the directions.

If you are shocked by the amount of sugar in the above ingredients, you have a right to be.  I cooked two P-U-D-Cakes, one with Cannabutter and the full amount of sugar as seen above, and the other with normal butter using only 1/2 the amounts of sugar.  Both cakes are wonderful, and I believe for those who do not want so much sugar, the recipe might work as well with even 1/4 the amount of sugar.  Just remember that as the sugar decreases, the ganja taste increases.

In the non-canna P-U-D-Cake, I used 5 eggs.  It made the cake more stiff but still good and moist.  I believe it would have been better with only 4 eggs.

• Like 1

• 250 grams unsalted butter
  • Image005.jpg

The double-boiler.  You must heat the cannabis and butter to accomplish the decarboxylation which is the conversion of THC into THC Delta-9, its activated state.  But warming it too hot will destroy the compound.  That's why we use the double-boiler.  Similarly, when cooking/baking, we must understand that the hotter/longer the cooking process, the more of the compound will be destroyed, and therewith, the effect.

• Image007.jpg

Start heating the water and toss in the butter.  While this begins to heat, grind your cannabis material.

Image008.jpg

I used 9 grams of sugar-leaf from GreenHouse Kush trimmings plus sugar-leaf trimmings from 2 other grows to amount to about 15 grams dried material.

Image004.jpg

Here it is all ground-up.

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

Image011.jpg

And the butter is almost melted.

Image012.jpg

Toss the ground material into the warming butter.  Give it a stir.

Image013.jpg

Almost immediately, you will begin to see white milky bubbles and patches forming.  This is the result of decarboxylation.

Image014.jpg

Stir occasionally (~every 15-to-30 minutes or so).  Decarboxylation shall continue to occur over the entire 2,5 hours simmer.  The water should be brought to a boil, then turned down to only a slow boil.  Add water under the glass dish to replenish what water evaporates from the boiler.  The water level outside the dish should be kept at or above the level of the cannabutter mixture.  Do not allow too much water to leap into the butter.  It won't hurt the mixture, but we will add water at a later step.

Image015.jpg

Image016.jpg

Each time you stir, more decarboxylation occurs, and eventually, some of the cannabis grind will begin to clump.  No worries.  Relax.  Just stir from time to time.  Depending on your situation, you might want to think about sealing-up your kitchen but ventilating the house now.  The fumes will become quite strong and your neighbors may become curious.  Sorry, I forgot to warn you about that earlier.  Hehehe

Oh yeah, you can get high just remaining in the closed kitchen, and your hair, skin and clothes will absolutely soak-up the fumes as well.  Don't forget to shower and change your clothes before going out of the house later.

Image017.jpg

Here is a trick to help soak-up the excess water that occasionally leaps out of the boiler.  Carefully surround the boiler with a towel, being very careful to not let it contact the hot surface.  This is not recommended when cooking with flame or open heating elements.  On ceramic surfaces, it is best when the pot selected completely covers the heating surface.  The occasional water-spill keeps the cloth wet.  Be very careful when doing this.

Image021.jpg

• Thanks 1

After about 2 hours, the brew will look similar to this with lots of white milky bubbles indicating that the decarcoxylation is progressing rapidly.  At this time, replenish the water under the dish again, increase heat, stir, then add about 300ml warm water directly into the butter mixture.  The butter(to which the majority of the THC-Delta-9 is now chemically attached) will float on top of the water, and the plant-material(mostly devoid of the THC) will sink into or be absorbed by the water.  Continue heating until the boiler boils, and return to low boil and stir occasionally for the last 30 minutes.

Image019.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image035.jpg

Image036.jpg

Image037.jpg

• Thanks 1

The cooking is done.  Now pour the Cannabutter and water suspension together through a sieve into another bowl.  Using a spoon or other similar instrument press the green material hard against the sieve to force out all the butter and water as possible.  Clump the material together and press again.  Clump and press.  Clump and press.  Force out as much moisture as possible.  A little fine green material will wind up in the cannabutter but that's not bad.

Image039.jpg

Well pressed, the green material can be saved to add to dishes like bread and such, but it has the taste of ganja that some people dont like.  Additionally it contains a rather low amount of THC because most of the THC is chemically attached to the butter.  Use the pressed material if you want, but most people throw it to the worms in the composter or to garbage.  But beware, it still smells strongly.

Image040.jpg

Here is the hot butter and water.  Lightly tap your fingers around the bowl to aggitate the mixture to aid in the separation of plant materials from the butter.  Some of the materials will precipitate down to the water.  The aggitation will aid some of the materials at the butter/water surface to eventually sink into the water.  After a few short minutes of tapping, the efforts eventually become futile for further separation.  Now, allow the bowl to sit very still for about an hour or two to cool.  It is much too warm to put in the fridge; the warmth could ruin other foods.

Image042.jpg

When the bowl is nearly room temperature, transfer the bowl to the fridge, but not the freezer.  At this point, it is even more important to not aggitate the bowl.  You don't want the butter to slosh upward onto the surfaces of the bowl, rather to solidify as much as possible as a single block of butter.  Also, very important: Be patient and let the butter chill completely before removing from the fridge.  Nothing is worse than investing so much time and energy and material in a wonderful product, only to ruin it by trying to harvest it from the bowl too soon.  Be patient.

You may ask, why not the freezer?  At this point, your bowl contains water.  Freezing the water could cause your bowl to shatter.

Now is a good time to completely clean the kitchen.  It'll take a while to eliminate the odors.

When it is completely chilled (hard like butter in the freezer, and the color is brighter yellow than green), then use a knife to separate the green/yellow slab of butter from the bowl, allow the water to drip away.  For convenience, you can cut it into 5 approximately equal-sized wedges, each approx 50 grams.  This makes it easy to measure into later recipes.  You can also separate the wedges using wax paper so that they don't freeze together into an unmanageable clump.  Seal them into a zip-loc-style bag, removing air before sealing.  Then seal that bag into another zip-loc for storage in the freezer. 

There, you've made Cannabutter.

Well-sealed, Cannabutter will keep for a long time in the freezer.  Double-sealing or triple-sealing in Zip-Locks, it will be good and potent for many many months.  (But who can wait that long before using it?) hehehe

Image043.jpg
The water under the Cannabutter may still contain some traces of THC, but it usually tastes horrid.  You can experiment to find some use for it, but most people throw it away.

Now for the P-U-D-Cake:

1.  Pre-heat oven to 165°C.

2.  Open a can of pineapple slices and allow the can to drain over a cup or glass.  Set aside.  You can drink the juice straight, or save it for mixing refreshing drinks for the pool-side.  An alcohol or just sparkling water, I'll leave that up to you.

3.  Greaze the cooking dish with butter or spray, your choice.

Image044.jpg

4.  Melt 125-grams Cannabutter in a sauce-pan.  Do not cook it.

Image045.jpg

5.  Pour all the butter in the cooking dish except about 1 or 2 Tablespoons.  Set the sauce-pan and the little butter aside unheated.  Tilt the cooking dish to spread the Cannabutter evenly in the bottom of the dish. 

Image046.jpg

6.  Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter in the dish.

Image049.jpg

Image050.jpg

7.  Arrange pineapple slices to cover the bottom of the dish.

Image051.jpg

8.  Distribute cherries around the pineapple slices.   In the Canna-PUD, I used Amarena cherries.

Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

9a.  Into a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

9b.  If using Vanilla pods, then scrape the meat from half a Vanilla pod and save it for later use in the batter.  The emptied pod can be stored in your jar of vanilla sugar if you want to flavor your own vanilla sugar for future use.

Image048.jpg

• Like 1

10.  Separate the eggs into two bowls.  In a large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed just until soft peaks form.  Add granulated sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.  Beat until medium-stiff peaks form.

11.  In a small bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until very thick and yellow.  (Sorry, no picture)

Image054.jpg

Image055.jpg

Image056.jpg

Image057.jpg

Image058.jpg

Image059.jpg

Image060.jpg

• Like 1

12.  Begin to re-melt the 1 or 2 Tablespoons of left-over Cannabutter (but not hot).  While it re-melts, with a wire wisk or rubber scraper, using an over-and-under motion, gently fold the egg yolks and the flour mixture into the whites until blended.  Fold-in the melted butter and almond extract and the Vanilla scrapings.   Instead of almond extract, I used half a package of sliced almonds.  Instead of Vanilla scrapings, I had used 2 packs of Vanilla sugar.  I also poured-in a little of the sweet juice from the Amarena cherries jar.

Image065.jpg

Image064.jpg

Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

Image063.jpg

13.  Spread the batter evenly over the pineapple slices in the cooking dish.  Place on center rack and bake at 165°C until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.

Image066.jpg

Image067.jpg

Image068.jpg

Image069.jpg

• Thanks 1

When finished baking, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to begin cooling evenly.  Using a table knife, loosen the cake from the sides of the cooking dish.  Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving dish or a sheet of baking paper.  While the cake is still warm, the Cannabutter and sugars will seep slowly into the cake.  When cool, it can be eaten as is or it can be cut into doses and wrapped in waxpaper wraps like bon-bons for storage in a ziplock in the freezer.  Depending on the quality and strength of your cannabis infusion and the amount of Cannabutter you used, a single dose could be as large as half a pineapple slice or just a 1/4 pineapple slice.

Enjoy!

Image071.jpg

Image072.jpg

Image073.jpg

Image074.jpg

Image075.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...