P.h. ranges and meters

Bigbuddy420

Whats the best p.h. level in hydro? How about for veg in hydro? Is there a better level for flower? What about clones? I was to let my P.h. drift a little because curtain nutrients and supplements work better at curtain p.h. levels is this true. Usually when I make my nutrients I make my adjustment to 5.6 then check everyday until it reaches 6.2 then I adjust back to 5.6., is this sound about right? Also whats the deal with p.h. pens I got a 7.0 Hanna meter, but I was recently told I should look into buying a 4.0 meter pen as well. I thought p.h. was p.h. can yall help shed some light on my p.h. problems haha.

Peace Bigbuddy

Guest superbluehaze

Hello my friend,

Having the right ph in the nutrient solution, and tailoring it to the plants parrticular stage of development is important, as different minerals become more available at a particular ph .

In veg,

assuming you are not using rockwool(if u are then add 3 points as rockwool is alkaline, and the nutrient solution needs to be a little more acidic to counter this)

then nitrogen and other elements necessary for rapid growth are most soluble at under a ph of 6.

around 5.8 is ideal;

when flowering

the ph is raised slightly.

At a ph of 6 to 6.2,

potassium and phosphorus become more soluble and therefore available to the plant, when it needs them in larger quanities.

all the best,

john

Guest superbluehaze

ok

letting your ph drift as you do is not good for rapid growth.

one of the reasons that plants grow so fast with hydro is because all the elements they need for growth are all there for them in the right quantities, and these elements are soluble and easily taken in by the plant.

By allowing your ph to drift from 5.6 to 6.2 your plants may not grow as fast,

for although within this range all the elements are available to the plant, some become more available then others, and then become insoluble again a the higher Ph.

Nitrogen is more soluble at a ph of 5.8 then at a Ph of 6.2.

if you follow the above recomentations, and check your ph everyday and make sure it is exactly 5.8 for veg,

then you should notice a slight improvement in your plant's growth.

as knuckle as said - a Ph pen, as long as it is accurate, is a ph pen.

Do you have an Ec meter?

it is as important to check the Ec of the nutrient solution everyday and adjust.

and to change your nutrient solution every 2 weeks

I just realized you use rockwool;

if you do, then your ph is way out;

for veg 6.1

for flowering 6.3

all the best,

john

Thanks alot John/Knuckle man yall are great, really on top of your game. Every time I got a question boom within 24 hours I got real expert advise. Ive been on this forum for a week now and everyday I learn something new from one of you guys. Just wanted to give yall your dues.Respect. Yep using rockwool. That makes so much since the people from Grodan were telling me to make my adjustment to 5.5 and 5.6. Is this what you mean by adding three points? And not using EC but ppm I know you can convert it, but I think I might pick one up just to have. Im using drip lines to feed grogan slabs. I started it all with 6'' blocks ,and at the last minute decided to transplate onto the slabs. Man these things are getting freaking huge!!! Anyway Im feeding basicaly a drain to waste system and my res tank is only 36 liters. I say only 36 liters cause it seems to not be lasting the whole week ,and im starting to have to make a sencond batch of nutrients. So far I feed for about a minute twice a dayI check em for signs of over water/ feeding but everything for the most part looks well. So im just going to make a bigger res tank next week probally 72 liters. Also I feed at a 5th less then what the label says Im supposed to do, because well thats what a tech support from AN told me to do. I guesss because I grow in rockwool and drain to waste what do you think?

Guest superbluehaze

hi bigbuddy,

Knuckle is a good man; we both like to help other growers, and the great thing about it is that we learn heaps too.

I have yet to grow a perfect plant; maybe one day.

Green House grow in rockwool; Best to you take the advice of a master:

Guest superbluehaze

I have not used rockwool; it is usual to let the rockwool sit in a adjusted solution before use.

that is what Grodon means I think.

this is to stabilize ther ph of the rockwool, as it does not have a neutral Ph naturally, but tends to have a high ph.

Inorder to prevent a too high ph,which would make some elements insoluble and therefore unavailable to the plant,

the nutrient solution is made slightly more acidic, with a ph range around 3 ph points more than for any mediums.

All the ph and Ec values in the Green House videos will be spot on for you, as u also use rockwool.

how often my friend do you irrigate the slabs?

watch for salt biuld up though there is less chance of that with run to wastre.

take care, and thank you

john