Hot, Humid, High Rainfall River Grow... Help.

kdstanhope

Good Day ALL!

I've got a wonderful area all ready and set for a grow. looking to plant at the start of July. Southern Hemisphere, around 30s31e. I'm deep in a valley, right along the river bed, Just above the flood line. Beautiful soil! Awesome spot for direct morning and afternoon sun, diffuse sunlight from +-11am - 2:30.

I will post pics of the spot as soon as I can get my hands on a working camera... its early, but the access trail that has been built is EPIC!

Anyway....

I've settled on The Church. Thats Final! Had success with her in the past and she treats me well.... The uber humidity is always a problem, and although the windflow through the valley is wonderful, the danger is still there for asshole mould to piss me off by eating my buds :tired:

I've been looking at Cheese (becasue I would also like to try cross cheese and church with some transkei sativa) but I am worried about bud rot.

Has anyone grown in uber humid outdoor conditions before? What can you reccomend?

Peace!

Stanhope.

Guest superbluehaze

hi my friend,

I think the church will be fine, but is not July a little early for the southern hemisphere. The days will be under 12 hours long; usually people plant in September when the days are over 12 hours long and are gettting longer;

take care

john

OK, so superbluehaze is quite correct, and I'm jumping the gun a bit. I'll be looking at early September. Don't quite know how I came up with July, but I've so much more time now yay! I suspect excitement took the place of common sense!

In planning this grow, I used a very groovy little tool to work out the optimal spot; its a big valley with few twists and turns.

What I used was a freeware program called GRASS. NOT what it sounds like! It is essentially a GIS tool, very daunting and not user friendly if you have limited know how of GIS. Using a Digital Elevation Model of the valley I plotted the areas which would recieve the most amount of cumulative light hours based on the time span of the grow and the aspect of the terrain.... Its a lot to go into, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you the low-down.

Heres a link to GRASS:

http://grass.fbk.eu

and while I'm on the daylight thing, check this cool gadget out:

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

Oh, and in response to drunkknuckledead: I've had issues with the dense, fluffy buds of indicas in the past, mostly during the drying and curing process, but also during flowering. The temperature get quite high between December and February, like 35C, and humidity is up around the 70%'s. I hope that the cool valley breezes will help cool the plants, and so will the diffuse light during mid day, but I still can't stand to watch the poor girls rot in the heat, what strains have you had success with?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ya, the drying and curing issue is avoidable; it just takes a bit of planning and a weary eye...

Thinking about it, yes dense and fluffy does sound rather opposite... my bad. I suppose I should rephrase by saying beautiful sticky buds that are tightly packed and loaded with trichomes. The kind that look like they are covered in cake frosting. mmmmm. Thats where I've had problems. It rots away from the inside and by the time it comes through its pretty much too late... and it spreads.

Luckily, as far as heat goes, the hotter the day gets, the better the airflow through the valley so I hope that will do a nice job of cooling. The wind is a nice treat, hoping that will eliminate all the temperature and humidity issues.