UPDATED (new Grower) Identifying problems! Thank You

Romeu9

Guest superbluehaze

Mt friend, you are growing in soil, why do you not use an organic fertilizer.

The plants love fish emusion and sea weed. You do not need expensive hydro fertilizers to get great results.

When I first started growing, I used a fertilizer brought from a store with no ph pen and got very good results.

The thing, though, is if the directions on the packet say to fertilizer every 3 weeks, then use one third of that amount each week, otherwise you will make the soil toxic.

My friend I use a fish emolsion fertilizer with Folvic acid that I buy from a hardware store and it is great, and cheap too.

There is a lot of bullshit out there. It is alright when you have the money, but if you not(and I know what it is to be short of a dollar), then you do not need them.

If you use an organic fertilizer, you will not need a ph pen for a while.

Just make sure you follow directions on the packet, but if it states 10ml/L every 3 weeks, then use 3 mls/L every week and that way you will not toxify the soil. If the plants look as though they would like more, then after give them just a bit more say 5mls/l every week.

You can buy cheaper benificial bacteria, and it is still very good; check on the net.

also another way to get oxygen to the roots, is to use Hydrogen peroxide. You buy it from a chemist(pharmacy) try and get 20 volume, and put about 10 mls per 4 litres, but it may kill the good bugs in your soil.

The main thing is to let your pots dry out, and that helps to protect the roots against disease.

Fish emulsion and sea weed help to build up the good bugs in your soil; the bugs are there already, the thing is to provide the conditions for them to thrive.

Do do not need expensive gear to grow dope; in the old days not long ago organic growers did not use ph pens or Ec meters, and they got amazing results. Also, pt has been grown for thousands of years, with out expensive hydro nutrients, and expensive meters. Here is a place to start - it talks about brewing orgqanic teas:

http://hightimes.com/grow/ddanko/3873

and again:

http://hightimes.com/grow/bgetting/556

let us know how it goes, and I am in your corner, so I will help as much as I can.

good luck and happy growing

Hey superbluehaze, and drunkknucklehead-!

I've read the articles about the organics and the compost tea, it was great to read more and good stuff about both subjects.

I will consider that as soon as I'm low on the chemicals I have :D Since I'm very short in budget I will have to wait for my Advanced Hydroponics of Holland set finishes to buy another set of nuts...

I'm now on the second day without watering my plant and I will give it two more days without water, I'm considering your opinion and the image I've seen in one of those articles, a picture of a healthy plant with there leaves in a 45 degrees up angle... It realy looks healthy!

About my medium, I must confess the soil I'm using have no great quality.. That is one my must-have in a near future, a good quality soil... All due to a very low budget..

I'll keep you posted guys, and thanks alot!

p.s.: Hey superbluehaze, loved your poetry man!.. ;)

Guest superbluehaze

The reason your leaves are hanging is because the roots are sick, from too much water.

It may take a a little while before the leaves become totally out streached, as the roots are still recovering.

Your soil, also, is not the best.Try and loosen the soil up by tapping the pot, so air gets into it..

As your soil is not the best, it may take 10 days for the roots to come back.

The main thing is that the yellowing has to stop, and does not spread any further..

The roots will come back but it will take a bit of time, then the leaves will stretch out. Do not worry, just give it some time to heal, and in 2 or 3 days, water it lightly again, with just plain water, and if you can get some hydrogen Peroxide, it is brought from a pharmacy, and mix 2o volume(6%)hydrogen peroxide at about 50 ml per 4 liters. Talk to knucledrunk, and he may be able to advise you better on hydrogen peroxide.

The main thing is to really let your pots dry right out;

your roots are sick and the peroxide will give oxygen to the roots, as well as kill any bad bugs, that may be attacking the roots, but be careful with it and do not use too much.

happy growing and good luck

Ok, so I will be watering it sunday.. or is it to much considering the actual state? the last watering was 2 days ago..

plain water on sunday then wen should I water it again, and with just plain water once more?

hydrogen peroxide, here we call it "oxygenated water" :D I will check that to...

Thank you so much, and I'll keep you posted!

Guest superbluehaze

Hi my friend,

This is VERY important; look closely when the plant is in very lower light, do the leaves come up and stick out more;

when you put it in strong sunlight, do the leaves droop?

Do not water on Sunday, leave it longer, at least 1 week or better 8 or 9 days. The longer the better.

If can you buy a small bottle of Rhizotonic.

your roots are sick and they need to get healthy again.

happy gowing and good luck

As I said and I'll say it again: Thank you.

I'll use "Root Stimulator" and "Growth/bloom excelarator" advancedhydro.com/pages/view.asp, both are for root care and they are the ones that I have, today I learned more about the additives I have :D While talking to you I had un epiphany about them :D Since I dont have Rhizotonic I will use the ones I have.

So next watering I'll give plain water mixed with root stimutalor and Growth/bloom excelarator, both with seaweeds and for root stimulation...

I once read that a good way to go is: water+nuts, starv, water+additives, starv, plain water, starv, water+nuts, etc...

and things are starting to make more scence to me now... Thank you so much once again John ;)

p.s.: and all this due to Strain Hunters forum....

You need to transplant the plant into a bigger pot your plant is under watered as the way it appears to me. i've been using mycor and beneficial bacterias for about 6 years now and they can increase your root size by 800%.
If you are growing in a soilless mix you can water all you want as long as you have the drainage for it. Sunshine mix #4 is what i have used for years and it a soilless mix that is very versatile you can use it in passive hydroponics without worry of overwatering. ph in soillessmix can range from 5.5 to 7.0 7.0 being neutral and anything below that is acidic and anything above it is alkaline. A well watered and properly used nutrient regimine will almost guarantee that you wont have to mess with your ph. At most maybe a little cal-mag can be used if you like. 10liters is only 2.5 gallons which isnt very big for a pot to grow that sized plant in. good luck

greenthumb

One thing to remember about organic fertilizers is they take longer to absorb in the plant, are harder to flush and especially with bat guano can make the soil toxic if used in too large of quantity. It sounds like next time your gonna want to decide on how you grow and what medium to use. Good luck, there is no perfect answer out there, only options.

Guest superbluehaze

How do I know when to water?

Answer: If you are container gardening, then you would water the plant really well and weigh the plant (container and all, please do not pull up bare rooted plant because it will cause unnecessary trauma to the plants). When it losses around 25% of it's weight you want to water again. You and 10 of your friends can have identical setups with the same plants and most of you would need to water at different cycles. The larger and healthier the plant the more water it will need. Climate, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and air circulation all play a big part in how often to water.

Take particular notice of this article, as you have a early case of root rot, it looks as through the plant is wilting, but to give more water is the worst thing you can do.

on Facebook
Article 3-5 Root Rot

Perhaps you can help me by giving me information on combating root rot in my hydroponic garden. This has just started about one month ago but I have lost many plants at this point. The culprit is root rot. How do I stop it? I love your magazine and have learned lots from it.

Thanks,

Lynn T.

Lynn: Rot, or decomposition of the roots is caused by anaerobic conditions in the root sphere. If the grow area (especially at the roots) is cool in temperature the plants don't take up water as fast and the roots choke from insufficient oxygen when surrounded by standing water. If growing in peat, raise the containers off the cold floor with wooden slats or steel mesh so that air and heat may circulate. Line the bottom of your containers with grow rocks or perlite to improve drainage. In recirculating hydroponic systems the culprit can be too that the nutrient solution is moving too slowly for the depth of water. If the room temperatures are too high, oxygen becomes deficient and disorders such as Pythium will travel and infect all the plants through the root zone. Pathogens introduced into the system are suspect if you don't have any of the problems mentioned in the above. Some supplements help fortify the roots against infections. Some are products of fermentation such Rootshield, or beneficial bacteria such as Ascend. Some are plant extracts. Use a water chiller to combat high water or root temperatures, and an aquarium heater to prevent cold roots. U.V. sterilizers can help to defend against contaminants in the reservoir. Note that roots can die in intense light if they are not surrounded by 100% humidity. Any light leaking into the system?

Regards, Erik Biksa

Answer: If you use organic nutrients you might notice a slight browning to the root after feeding. If that is what you noticed we would say that it could be caused by the nutrients, however it could still be beginning stages of root rot. For treatment of root rot you would use a 35 % food grade Hydrogen Peroxide at a 1 oz per gallon ratio. For prevention of root rot try to not over water & you can use 35% hydrogen peroxide at a 2 teaspoon per gallon ratio to help add oxygen to the water & kill harmful bacteria. Keep in mind hydrogen peroxide will kill all bacteria, it does not care if it is beneficial or harmful bacteria. Once you mix Hydrogen Peroxide with the water it will start to break down. Hydrogen peroxide completely breaks down in 24 hours. Any damage to the root system will not only hurt your yield but it will make your plants more susceptible to diseases that can destroy your entire crop.

Hydroponics University

If the plant is dry and needs water, water it give it a dose of hydrogen peroxide; let it dry out and start using the root regenerator; if not wait until it is, just because it is wilting it does not necessarily mean it needs water. iF plant has root desease then it cannot transpire water in strong light and wilts. That is why I said to check if it wilts in shade:

My plants are wilting but my medium is wet, what is wrong?

Answer: Very bad root rot can cause this. If you are able to look at the roots, then you can see if they are white or brown. If they are brown then it is root rot. But if the roots look white or slimy then you have either Fusarium disease which in most cases is like a blood clot that forms at the base of the plant & does not allow it to drink or you have Pithium which is also a root bound disease that looks like slimy boogers on the root system that does not allow the plant to drink. Both of these diseases will also cause the plant to wilt during the day (or when the light is on) but at night (or when the light is off) the plants will stand back up. Both Fusarium & Pithium are known for destroying entire crops in 1 or 2 days. Root rot is easy to fix with 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide at 1 oz per gallon ran through the root system as a flush. Fusarium & Pithium you can try hydrogen peroxide but you will more than likely lose everything that gets it. The best thing to do for Fusarium & Pithium is not to get it with preventive measures like not taking air in from outside for your garden & always making sure keep your garden sterile (do not come home & go into your garden without showering & changing). You can start off with root rot & get Fusarium & Pithium.

good luck and happy growing

Ok, so I now have the hydrogen peroxide :D

They only had 10 volume, so wich is the rate it should be mixed? And can I mix it along in the same water in wich I will add the root stimulator? Or should I do it separately: water+ hydrogen peroxide and then wen it dry water+root stimulator?

Thanks N.W.greenthumb and drunkknucklehead-, and superbluehaze for the realy nice reply!

P.s.: drunkknucklehead-, superbluehaze told me your more into hydrogen peroxide, can you tell me the rate in wich I should mix it (its a 10 volume hydrogen peroxide).. thanks in advance.

h202?........wait until that pot is dry, pot it up and before watering gauge the weight of the pot, water in well, then only water again when the pot is almost dry or back to that inital weight wen you can gauge it, which will be soon enough....

with a 10ltr pot that should be every 3-4 days or 2-3 days depending on temp/humidty/air flow. Epsom Salts should only! be added when you see signs of a mag def, and there are no clear signs of that yet, simply looks hungry to me, how about keeping this forum one place where people dont just fire random ideas at people who are still in the process of learning to grow.

I grow in a common mp compost since day 1 and have yet to check my ph, and not once have I had a ph related problem. Any decent will compost will buffer your ph

Fuzzy is right, its simply hungry

Guest superbluehaze

hi nmunkie,

The hydrogen peroxide is being used for two purposes; firstly, to kill any root fungus that may be there from over watering, and secondly to give the roots a boost of oxygen, as H2O2 loses a molecule of oxygen which it gives freely and then it becomes H2O or water.

You have given excellent advice as far as watering is concerned but this plant is showing nutrient deficiencies because it has been watered too much. When this happens the plant is unable to take up nutrients as the water displaces oxygen and the roots need it to absorb the minerals it uses to grow.

Moreover, this displacement of oxygen, along with the roots being continually wet, produce the ideal conditions for root rot and other nasty fungus's and pests.

In such a case the best way to cover both possibilities is to cut back on the watering, by using the guidelines you have suggested, which are excellent.

As an added precaution, the foliage can be sprayed with half strength nutrient, then both possibilities are covered, as the plant is able to absorb nutrients through its leaves, and this does not affect the roots in any way.

happy growing

Thanks nmunkie!

I want to clarify things, since I've posted this about my plant I'm considering all opinions and I thank you all! :)

The thing with overwatering and with H2O2 came across while talking with superbluehaze in private, and he realized trough that talking between us both that the plant had root rot... So his advices about overwatering didn't came out of the blue, they came from our private chating.

Thanks alot guys for all the opinions and wise.

I'll keep you posted ;)

p.s.: Thanks again John!

P110610_16_080001.JPG

Thanks nmunkie!

I want to clarify things, since I've posted this about my plant I'm considering all opinions and I thank you all! Smile

The thing with overwatering and with H2O2 came across while talking with superbluehaze in private, and he realized trough that talking between us both that the plant had root rot... So his advices about overwatering didn't came out of the blue, they came from our private chating.

Thanks alot guys for all the opinions and wise.

I'll keep you posted Wink

p.s.: Thanks again John!

Here's un update on how she is going, I've cutted a lot of yellowed leaves(near death)...

p.s.: I bought Guanokalong in powder, any opinions on that?

Guest superbluehaze

Great stuff, my friend. She is coming back, and is getting healthy again. I am so pleased. She is going to be a beautiful plant.

happy harvest, my friend,

john