First time growing please help me!!

Jimmy

Hi I will start growing soon. I've never grown before and I will start with hydro growing directly. So I wonder if anyone can help me with some tips and advice before I start. What should I consider the most? I appreciate all the replies and tips I can get.

Jimmy

Guest superbluehaze

I grow hydro, so I will give you tips, but things do depend on a number of variables. My tips are for those you only grow a few plants so therefore grow them big.

Firstly, choose a medium that holds the correct proportions of water and air.

There are many mediums and it depends on what you hope to achieve from your garden as to which method of hydro you use. Are you going to us a pump, with a recirculating system or a run to waste, drip feed or hand watered?

I water my plants by hand. I use a medium that is similar to rock wool, and it holds the correct balance of air and water(37% air and around 60% water).

Although I grow in hydeo, I treat my medium like soil; I watch the plants, and stick my finger into the medium to decide when to water. I keep it wet during veg, but let the medium dry out during flowering before I water again.

I grow in 52lite containers(13 gallons) to give the roots the room they need.

The roots need air as well as water. I have an air stone connected to an air pump in each pot. The roots can not get too much air.

Remember in hydro, things happen very quickly, because unlike soil, which acts as a buffer, in hydro there is none. Therefore, to not go over an EC of around 1.8. Watch also what comes out of the drain holes in the pots, and measure its Ec, if it is much higer than what you put in, then this means the plants are taking up more water and less salts. The salts, therefore are biulding up in your medium and you need to flush with either Ph adjusted water or fertilizer with a low Ec of around 1 to 1.3.

Watch your plants and they will tell you what they need. Never be in a hurry to up the Ec when the plants are healthy, growing fast and look happy. Watch the new growth, it will tell you. and use beneficial bacteria.

happy growing