PH Problem Help

alwaysclosing1

Im getting a little nervous my plants look good, except a few spots on the tips of the older leaves.

When i'm feeding or watering the PH is 6.0, when i collect the runoff water and test it, the PH is 7.3-7.5

So I just flushed with 5 gallons of 6.0 Ph water (I have 5 Gal pots Growing in soil) when i tested after adding the 5th gallon it was a PH of 8

Am i doing something Wrong?

Why would the PH Go up even more?

There 5 Gallon pots

I used a good mix

20% perilite

!0% Builders Sand

10% Earth worm castings

!0% Compost (Seaweed, Fish)

50 % Soil

Water Drains Excellent and i didn't push down the soil when i transplanted so its pretty loose

It just baffles me that when i flushed the run off was a Ph 8

although i do have a soil ph meter and i cut a small holes in the pots about 2/3 of the way down so i can test the ph in the lower half and it reads 7 (but its a cheap meter about 25.00 so im not sure of the accuracy)

Attached files IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0703_0.jpg IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0704_0.jpg IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0705_0.jpg

Fuzzy's right! You are doing it right. Those spots I had them in the past and it was lack of oxigen due to soil being to much compacted. Can you show us a pic showing the entire plant? And what size is your pot? Maybe transplanting to a bigger pot will solve that.

take care

ps: next time post this at infirmary ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

what happens in soil is that organic material is broken down my various bugs into soluble salts the plant can absorb through its roots.

This is a natural process;

The bugs breaking down the organic material cause huge fluctuations in the pH of the soil, or medium.

In hydroponics it is easier to control ph as all the nutrients are already in a soluble form the plant can use.

This is why in hydroponics the plants grow faster, as the nutrients are always available to the plant when it needs them.

With organics your ph will fluctuate, it is part of the process of breaking down the organic material;

of course buffers can be added to the soil,

but still when flushing your ph will vary enormously, because of the organic material in various stages of decay in your soil.

happy growing,

john

Guest superbluehaze

I just looked at the pictures;

your problem I thinks like the begining of nutrient burn;

remember organics or chemicals, either way, it all comes down to salts in the end.

happy growing,

john