First timer . any advice is acceptable . :)

Pipis

hey guys . 

This is my first time growing indoors and if anyone is willing to pass over some useful advice , it would be much appreciated .

I got myself the Super bud and really looking forward to growing this babies and watching them grow .

here are a few basic questions to help me start of good .  

how do you go from seed to planting ? 

How often does it need watering ? 

Sorry if these questions sound a bid ridiculous but as a first time grower i would like to avoid any major mistakes . 

• Like 2

Pipis,

You mentioned that you want to avoid mistakes, so here goes:

First of all, do not germinate your seeds until your set-up is ready for the seeds.  That is one of the most common mistakes by beginners.

Know that Cannabis requires close monitoring of pH in its feeding system.  Get yourself a pH-meter.

Are you going to grow them in soil?

If so, please start by mixing up a good supersoil.  (Google: supersoil for cannabis to get a good recipe.)

Moisten your supersoil mix and allow it to sit covered 2 or 3 weeks before starting the germination of the seeds.  The soil needs this time for the microbes (sometimes called "Mychorrhizae") in the soil to become fully active.  They are essential for a healthy soil.  The sitting-time is also necessary to help the soil settle-out any "hot-zones" where there may be a concentration of nutrients that could harm a seedling's sensitive roots.

You can germinate your seeds directly in the soil like suggested by LeoGetz above.  Just don't bury the seed too deep.  About 5 to 8 mm deep is good.

Or you can use the paper-towel method to germinate the seeds.  Google: "paper towel germination of cannabis seeds".  They must be set in a dark place, partially covered so that the paper-towel doesn't dry out.  This is the method that I prefer.  After the seed cracks open, I allow the tiny root to grow about 5 to 10 mm, and then I carefully plant it in its first cup of soil, the root pointing down, and the seed top about 3 to 5 mm under the soil.

Get yourself 2 or 3 sprayer bottles.  One is for pure distilled water, the others can be used to spray light mixtures of fertilizers.

Because you don't want to accidentally wash the seed out of the soil, use a sprayer to spray distilled water for the first few weeks.  A seedling does not need any fertilizer, in fact, fertilizer is too strong for a seedling; can kill it.  Water the seedling's soil using distilled water until the cotyledons (baby-leaves) dry-up or fall off.  You can add a little Root-Juice from Bio-Bizz to the feeding water if you want (max 1ml to 1 Liter), but nothing more. 

You can also occasionally mist the leaves of Cannabis, best only with distilled water, not with the Root-Juice sprayer.  (There are methods of spraying very specialized fertilizers (such as Fish-Mix from Bio-Bizz) directly onto the foliage of a plant, but NOT at this seedling stage.  That is for cloning, etc.  You'll learn about that at a later time.

Never use a spray bottle for different mixtures.  Your distilled water sprayer should never have anything in it except distilled water.  Your Root-Juice sprayer should never be used for anything except Root-Juice, etc.  Once a bottle has been used for spraying an insecticide, it should never be used for spraying anything else.  If any bottle has ever been used for spraying an herbicide, it should never, never, never be used in your grow area at all.

When the seedling finally loses its baby leaves, then you can begin to introduce fertilizers, BUT start at no more than half-strength of the manufacturer's recommended dosage.

If you haven't yet bought your fertilizers, there are some good ones to select from.  First of all, for ease of use, take a look at GreenHouse Powderfeeding.  There are also good products from Bio-Bizz, HESI, Canna, and many others.  If you want top performance from your plants, then you will need a good cannabis-specific fertilizer system.  Each of these manufacturers will have their own charts and fertilizer schedules that come with the product, or which are available online.

For other equipment and some of the above-mentioned fertilizers, visit www.growmart.de.  They are a reliable source if you are in the EU.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Pipis yo Bro. All I can say is keep it  simple at first. Don't try to do everything at once mate,ie, topping ,lst, super cropping. Just let them do there thing. I've done a a few successful grows but the first one I didn't have a clue and was trying EVERYTHING I saw on you tube lol. Now I just let them tell me what shape there in. PATIENCE IS KEY Bro. Onecentre you get into it its addictive. You start with one and the next time you look there 20 lol. Anyway happy growing and I hope you get some FAT nugs after all the hard work. 

P's, its all a learning curve✌????