To trim or not to trim, mid-flower??

gr8daddyg

Guest superbluehaze

It depends how much leaf and where it is on the plant;

you could have a nitrogen or potassium deficiency,

and it is NEVER a good thing to remove healthy fans leaves

as these are producing food and energy for the plant at a time when she needs all the energy, she can get,

to form big chunky buds.

a picture will help at lot

happy harvest

john

i follow the theory that the buds are formed in 2 stages. 1st stage weeks 1 to 4 off 8 week flower time the bud sites are being formed and this is when the fan leaves energy is being used. 2nd stage weeks 5 to finish the fruit/buds rippen. Once all the bud sites are formed I strip all fan leaves off. I belive this forces the plant to put all its energy into producing bigger buds and lets the light into the lower parts of the plant allowing the whole plant to rippen at the same time instead of harvesting in 2 stages or only 3/4 of a plant finished.

Guest superbluehaze

There are many ways to grow;

Dwfi whi is an excellent grower does the opposite to waht I would do.

There is no wrong or right way to this;

I guess experiment and see.

Some growers never remove fan leaves, and others do.

My way of thinking( and remember too, it does depend on your environment and other factors) without green leaf, the plant can not produce food;

each leaf is a suger factory for the plant, and if these are not there then the plant has only the smaller leaves with which to produce food, and has to then rely upon stored energy to produce the buds.

It is really, as in all things, your choice;

I have never flowered 2 plants, and taken the fan leaves off one, and left them on the other plant until harvest,

and then weighed the yeild of each plant to see.

All experienced growers had found their own way to grow - a way that works for them,

and there are really no rules, except for one - if it works, then do it.

happy growing,

john

You can check pics here:

http://www.strainhunters.com/portal/content/first-grow-pots-outdoors-f1-feminized-5050-hybrid-pics

I opted to trim a little more from one plant than the other. The taller one had some really long shade leaves that were extending out past all the bud sites, so I clipped them. The shorter of the two (but denser) I just removed some longer ones towards the top. I wish I wouldn't have trimmed because they were doing fine, and my rule from now on will be if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But this is my first grow and was trying to see how it went...that being said, the trimming didn't seem to bother the plant, and the buds do look like they're filling out a little more, but I just like the look of them before the trimming...anyway, I guess the yield will be a good indicator of which one worked better for these two plants. Thanks for the replys.