Question! anyone can help?

pedrogmrx

Hello, I am starting to grow some greenhouse strains(white widow, super lemon haze and cheese), and now I am with the 18/6 hours cycle. The plants are 1 week old, I wanna know when should I change the cycle to 12/12? Should I change in the second week or should I let the plant grow bigger?

Thanks in advance

I guess the answer depends on a few things! Can you provide more information....

Where are you growing it? room, tent, cupboard etc

How much space do you have to grow including height

What substrate are you growing in? i.e soil, coco, clay pebble etc

What lights are you using? fluro's, 400w HPS, 600w HPS?

Depending on the answer to each question the answer can vary slightly, however in general it is best to veg (18/6) until the plants are 10 - 12 inches in size before switching them over to bloom (12/12). If restricted for space you can switch them over to bloom at 4 - 6 inches but your not going to get the specified average yeild indicated for the plant if you bloom at this size.

Let us know what your setup is, and we can help more!

Ares

Your going to have to keep your plants small if you are planning to grow anything in such a small place buddy! 3 plants in that area is tight, very tight! I'd grow your plants to 6 inches max then switch them over to bloom! Remember to use a high quality soil and bloom nutrient! PK 13-14 3 to 4 weeks before harvest should also be used to obtain a good quality yield.

Ares

yes, and both with the same lamps, ventilation and pots.

btw do you think 7 litre pots are a good pot size or should I use a bigger/smaller one?

should I top my plants to make them grow bushier?

sorry for all this question but I am new to growing, so I wanna know everything :P

7L pots should be fine I think, your not going to be growing any monster plants with the space you have available so stick with those. If you want a SOG (Sea of Green) i.e. bushy plants with a nice even canopy with lots of nice size buds rather than 1 big cola and a few small buds I would top the plants about a week into flowering. You can trim plants upto week 3 into flowering to get rid of suckers and bolting branches etc but I wouldn't advise doing any pruning after this time.

First off get bigger pots for next time you dont want them to stessed going into flower so repotting now might not be a good idea. Get the biggest pots you can fit in your space 11 L square pots are a good size.

Don`t top when flowering, topping should be done in veg as you need to let plant grow new stems from where you cut,check some of the other forums for details on topping as its not just a case of out with the scissors and of with the top of your palnt.

When i begin flowering i cut the lights for 36 hours before going in to 12/12 this induces flowering, for the first week keep on the veg nutes and in week 2 introduce some flowering feed and cut the veg feed in half don`t make it to srtong, follow the bottle or get an EC meter,

week 3 up the flower feed and cut veg feed altogether,by week 5 you should be on full strength flower feed then start to gradually lower till week 7 then flush for 2 weeks.

Get reading some grow guides dude you`ll get the hang of it real fast.

Good Luck

If you dont cut the growing tip a week into flowering you almost always end up with 1 large cola and a few small. If you want an even canopy thats the best way I've found to do it. If you have 2 plants of the same genetics I suggest topping 1 in the veg cycle and topping the other 1 week into the bloom cycle and see the difference. I'll give it a go myself on my next grow, I might even leave 1 totally uncut to see what happens with that 2!

Guest superbluehaze

I think you are trying to do to much with t0o little. firstly, you should not tip your plants when they are in flower, only in the veg stage. have a look at my white rhino grow, that is one palnt and it is less than 12 inches high, but it is 8 weeks old.Secondly, you have two tents, why not use one for mother plants, the other to flower clones in. seeds should not be flowered till at least 6 weeks old and preferably in their 8th week. Clones should not be taken from a plant unless it is 8 weeks old, the plant to give strong clones needs to be mature. thirdly, you are flowering a number of different strains in the same tent; this is going to make it really hard for you, as they all will be different heights. My friend, we can help but you need to buy yourself a very good grown book; Go to high times.com and have a look there. First time keep things small, you should only be growing no more than two plants in that space especially as you are growing straight from seed. No plant is going to reach anywhere near its real potential unless it is a least 6 weeks old when grown from seed. The plant does have limitations, and it takes time for it to build a reasonable root system, without good roots a plant cannot yield much. Get your self a good grow book by either Mel Frank or Ed Rosenthal or one of the other well know grow writers, read it carefully, plan it out and then come to us and ask questions. Sorry mate, but you are setting yourself up for a very small yield and a whole lot of trouble, you could avoid by planning and limiting how many plants you grow at one time.

keep at it my friend, we all made mistakes in the beginning,. Do not worry, you will find your way, my friend. happy growing, my brother

Guest superbluehaze

while it is true that a plants flower cycle is controlled by day length, a plant is genetically determined to follow a certain growth patten. For the first 6 to 8 weeks the plant is still in the seedling stage. If the lights are turned down before the plant has had a chance to build a decent root system and leaves, it is a shock to it. It is up to you, but if you leave it to week 6 your yield will be much greater than if you turn the lights down sooner. No matter what though, unless you are growing them in two separate tents, you are going to have some problems, because you have haze which is a sativa and grows very tall, with an indica influenced plant which will stay much shorter. Usually sativa influenced plants are flowered from cuttings, and as soon as the cutting roots, they are moved to the 12 hour cycle. Seeds should not be flowered too soon, as they have not had a chance to reach any where near what they are genetically capable of. The first six weeks is spent building up reserves, roots and leaves, with out these assets, it cannot reach any where near its genetic potential. While potency is genetically determined, a plant to give its best has to had time to mature a little.

If it was me, I would leave the haze and just flower the cheese after it had grown for 6 to 7 weeks. Leave the haze for 8, then take cuttings, root them, and then flower them. They will get no bigger than around 3 feet, and the yield will have you really beaming.

all the best,

and may they bloom beautifully.

man i think the best solution to grow in small growbox (size S) is any autoflowering strain! choice of autoflower strains out there on the net is gigantic!!!

i think growing sativas in growbox (size s) is out of question!!!

word up!!!

Guest superbluehaze

It is going to be hard for you to grow sative in a grow tent, but you have them in now, leave the Sativa, and flower the cheese, your can keep its hieght down by nipping and training,; it will spread out though. With the sativa (haze) flower it from cuttings, nip it early, and then train it to stay low, but you will only be able to have one or two in the tent, as it will spread out. You have two tents use one for mothers(they will not streach in th veg stage, and do not need as much light as when flowering)and you can nip them by removing a section of the branch it they go get to high on you. Use the other tent for flowering clones, but only give them(if indica) i week in veg after they have rooted, and if haz none, send them straight into flower. I think you can do it, but you will need some help, and you have come to the right place for that. Along the way you will learn a lot, so no matter what, you will be happy at the end of it.. Redman is right, but you have them in now; I say go for it;

all the best with them