Do you grow exclusively from Seed or from Clones? Part One

Guest guest

There is no one answer to this question for it depends on what you hope to achieve as a grower.

i like to do both, but, for various reasons, I prefer to grow from seed.

Once if you did not want to waste space on unproductive male plants, you had no choice but to clone. Female seeds are now freely available and this does change things a little.

Seeds result from sexual reproduction, and in the offspring genes are recombined from both the male and female parent to produce new individual plants, with newly recombinant genotypes. Chromosomes are taken from each parent, and the offspring may resemble either the male or female plant, both of them or neither of them.

In every strain brought from any good breeder, there will always be some variation amongst the individual plants. They do not all end up being exactly the same, not even true breeding strains end up all totally identical..

Nature is in a state of constant flux, genes mutate, the environment changes, some species, or individuals within the species, can adopt to these changes and thrive, others can not. It is a process Darwin called "natural Selection". The world is in constant flux and without mutations, and the recombination of genetic material from both parents, species could not adapt to new circumstances and would die out.

The Two terms "homozygous" and "heterozygous" are used to describe the genotype of a particular plant.

If the genes that control a particular trait are contributed by both parents, or if the plant is selfed, then the plant is "homozygous' and will breed true for that particular trait. In other words, the trait is possessed by both parents, who are homozygous for that trait, and it will be transmitted to their offspring, which will resemble the parents and each other as regards that trait( virile, sweet taste, disease resistant etc).

If one parent does not contribute the genes necessary to express a certain trait in the offspring, then the offspring may not posses the parental traits, and will most probably differ from each other as regards that particular trait, and here the term "heterozygous" is used to describe them, and the off spring will display a wide diversity and will not be identitcal to each other when it comes to displaying that particular trait.

Guest superbluehaze

Good luck with them; out doors is best, you can not beat sunlight.

may they grow strong, beautiful and bloom magnificantly

Like i said well written superbluehaze that will help a lot of people! I agree if your not learning from every crop then the passion may have gone from growing and they should take a break! Seeds are great but in my neck of the woods clones are more prevelant and so i try to keep the best of the clones and cull the rest! i have some g13 seeds and some sour diesel and ak47 cross seeds but i'm saving those for a rainy day ;) good job haze keep it up bro!

green

Guest superbluehaze

thank you, N.W greenthumb I appreciate your encouragement.

I am a writer, but i write poetry mainly;

Though clones too do vary quite a bit in thir growth patten, and seeds , in some places, are not always that easy to get.

I have heard a lot what about diesel, comes out of NY, is that right?

It was American growers that started this, way back, in the north west of America, and all the great strains were develop by Americans - skunk 1, northern Lights, Big Bid, Hash plant, the haze the list goes on and on. In my book American growers are owed a real debt by us all. It all started in the States.

all the best, mate.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

As it grows tall and spindly, and yields are low, I would not like it either. There are too many other strains that do not have this growth patten or if they do, yield top quality smoke in reasonable quantities. Thank you for the information.

• 1 year later...