Wich type of insect is this?

Guest Markus

Hi strainhunters,

it is not a pest or any like that, i only found an insect that iam afraid of.

I misted my soil to get it moist and while doing it, i found a fly hiding in the soil.

Wich type is it?

2010-09-12_13.56.56.jpg

2010-09-12_13.58.08.jpg

2010-09-12_13.58.51.jpg

... ?

that is a fungas gnat ... they are little pesky bastards ... if you have one of them already you most likly have more ... and your gonna get alote more if they have layed there eggs which they prolly have ... i get these almost every grow and they dont bother me much .. except once the trichomes start really producing as the gnats fly into the bud and get stuck on the sticky crystals ... i just put up some sticky fly traps and if it gets bad i put down potato peels on top of the soil. i will give you some info on them and how to prevent and get rid of them ...

Fungus gnats like to feed on roots of the plants and organic matter. Adults and larvae live in moist, shady areas. The adults lay there eggs on top of the soil, near the base of the stem and takes about 4 days to hatch. The larvae will start by eating the root hairs of the plant then working their way up the plant, Fungus gnats like to eat organic matter so they will be stealing away nutrients from your plants, so its best to get rid of them completely.

If plants are outdoors, check the soil of plants before taking them back indoors for adult gnats or their larvae.

Prevent indoor entry of gnats by making sure there is no open windows open without screens on. August is a bad time for them as they are worst that time of the year.

Put sticky traps on the soil surface to trap the gnats

Put potato slices on the surface of the soil. The larvae like it and will be drawn to it.. After about 4 to 5 days, remove the potato slices with the larvae. To get rid of them you can do a lot of things like either use a NO pest strip, neem oil or putting sand on the surface of the soil will suffocate the eggs and get rid of them as well. Tobacco juice kills them, and works well for re-occurrences!

They can be in or on the soil and can fly. In order to get rid of them you can use neem oil, sand on the surface again kills them, and no pest strips catch the ones that fly. A chemical product called Zone works very well and is very powerful and works well in hydro!

here is a picture of a Fungus Gnat ....

fugus%20gnat.jpg

hope this helps mate ...

~Bgb

Guest superbluehaze

it bloody is too;all my windows are screened but those bastards still get in. PYRETHRUM spray will kill the adults, most of which are females and in this case you want them dead i was pretty stoned last night and I missed it, it looked too big; a thick layer of expanded clay on the top of your pots works well too, drench your soil in neem oil - it is the maggots you have to worry about. When you water have a look at the first layer of soil, and see if you can find any maggots moving around. Hydrofarm produce a product your put in with your nutrient called "Gnat off". They normally do not bother established plants too much; but can destroy younger plants; first signs is a yellowing of the leaves. Need oil will help, pyrethrum, and gnat off. Check under the slice of potato as will as on it for maggots

well done. BGB,

happy growing,

john

Guest superbluehaze

Potato is cheap, the slices should be peeled and about half an in thick, but I remove mine after 2 to 3 days, put it on the surface of your medium, and gently push it into the medium but not that much that the slice is covered by it.

Cut back on your water as a moist soil attracts them - let your medium really dry out.

happy growing,

john

Guest superbluehaze

also a cup of vinegar or wine and sugar(what a waste)will attract them, put foil over the top and put holes in it, the idea here is that the adults are attracted to the vinegar or wine, go in, but are unable to get out and die.

you can also purchase predator nematodes that will solve the problem for you if it gets too bad

all the best,

john

Hm sounds not nice, but as long as it is not bad as a spider mite could, ill be glad.

And yes, the pictures matches.

I will monitor that the next days implicit. Hope thats not a bigger pest to my whole crop.

Thanks my mates and explicit thank you to superbluehaze for the awesome overwhelming help, i will inform you if i have monitored more.

peace!

Guest superbluehaze

no worries, my friend, but biggreenbugs got onto it , and I missed it at first.

Good one! - biggreenbugs; thanks for watching my back, my friend.

I am not the only one here that has some knowledge.

happy growing,

john

• 3 weeks later...