Germtion problems

Jay Ryan

I just ordered some Greenhouse Seeds through Attitude (I live in the US) and wanted to be prepared before I try to germinate them.

So far, in my growing experience (fairly new, just growing a little over a year) I have tried out several different types of auto flower seeds, some bag seeds, and a feminized PPP plant seed.

From the bag seeds I had half pop and grow, I cloned and sexed them and had one nice female, cloned her for an outdoor grow last summer. The PPP popped right out of it's shell and took off, it did great outside too.

But I have had mixed results with my auto flower seeds. I bred my own seeds from Lowryder White Russian, and Joint Dr's Sour Diesel. Some seeds will pop and virtually jump out of their shells while a lot of them will open, and die.

I don't want that to happen to the Greenhouse seeds I just ordered.

I went to your germination instructions on the Greenhouse site, and I have followed your suggests but since I live in Southern Cali, even in the winter months it is so dry I can not leave seeds on a plate and keep them damp. They will dry out in an hour.

So, what I have been doing is soaking them in a cup for about 24 hours, at which time they will normally crack open. I then put them in damp paper towels inside a Tupperware container with an opening on top to let it breath a little, and put them on top of my 4x4 HP Florescent light I use in my baby area. This keeps it warm. I have a heat mat if you think I should use it. With out heat the container in the winter will get to about 60f.

Many of the seeds will not proceed from the cracked open stage, and I am very nervous about the next batch of seeds, the Greenhouse seeds. I don't want to screw them up.

Any suggestions, please?

Guest samuelo

hey man - you dont have to wait til your seeds crack before placing between the paper towels, what i do is soak them say for 12 - 24 hours (you dont want to drown them) then i get a few pieces of tissue paper and i will put the seed between them - then using the water that the seed has been soaking in i put a few tea spoons of water over them so that its not soaking - just moist..... then i put them in a zip seal bag (to help retain moisture) then i keep them in a warm dark place and in few days they are sprouting and ready for next step of their life

warmth darkness moisture and patience, check your bags every 12 - 24 hours to make sure are still moist enough, if not sprinkle some water but do not overwater as drowning can occur and then you are bust before you began

usually 2 - 3 days you will see the seeds sprouting but it can take 5days even 7 in some cases............. so chillax and you will be fine

- are the greenhouse seeds you bought colour coded or did you buy individual strainsfrom a seedbank? - what kinda seeds did you go for?

Patience isn't my forte, but I will give it a shot. Some seeds seem to jump out of their skin, others are really slow. I scrap some of the seeds I've made, that seemed to help, but I thought I was really doing something wrong.

I went for the Indica E, Super Lemon Haze, and Himalaya Gold. They're in original packaging. Attitude sells world wide, and you can choose, original or repackaged. I wanted to get a few strains going, clone them, indoor bud, and keep on a schedule.

I live at about 6000'so I'm really looking forward to an outside crop of the Himalaya Gold. I have good sun, but a very short season. Maybe June - October.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

are there a difference with those seeds that are color coded, in the germination process? because I purchased GHS color coded Sativa/Indica mix A, with 2 seeds of each strain in that pack. All turned out just fine accept 2 strains, and of course the two strains that I was most interested in were screwed in the germination process: Arjans Strawberry Haze and Great White Shark :( So I wonder if I just got lucky with the ones that survived, or was I unlucky with the ones that failed (like do they require less/more moisture or less/more heat or something)? I did like I use to do with my regular seeds; 1:put them in folded papertowel 2:splash the seeds in the paper-towel with a little bit of water 3:put the paper-towel with the seeds in a humiditydome 4:put the light proof humiditydome above the radiator (which were set on 23-25 degrees celsius) 5:waited a couple of days (checking them 2 times every 24-hours in darkness). But nothing ever happened to the 2 Arjans Strawberry Hazes and the 2 Great White Sharks, exept that the paint got off to the paper-towels (like the ones that manage to survive also did) but these 2 strains had a dark funky look, like they had drown or something..? I think this is very odd because the ones that survived were all in the same humiditydome as the ones that didnt survive. For future projects please comment this.. Thanks. This site rocks :)