plants growing upside down????

Dave M

il just start by saying aw crap.

I bought 10 seeds from royal queen seeds some auto flowering northern lights and they all germinated. Except one who actually started sprouting cotyledons to early (the root tip was only about a half inch long.)

I planted them root tip down and some started to come out of the soil.(about five) It was a nice day out so i left them outside where they had about 3 to 4 hours of direct sunlight.(I'm guessing)

I came home and to my surprise one was completely shrivelled up (seed was still casing the cotyledons) so it was the stem that was shrivelled.

One seedling had flopped over and looked unhealthy (looks ok now) and since it looked like all was lost i decided to investigate some of the plants that hadn't come up.

I felt something fishy(it was so strong I could feel the fishiness not even smell it) and the other day it looked like a root was emerging from the top of the egg carton they were placed in. Upon investigation I found that the seed for two of the plants had been growing downward towards the bottom of the container.

I'm not to sure why these couple were growing as if the sum was coming from below but I'm curious to see if i did something wrong so i can change the problem for the future because this was devastating for me lol it looks like some of them are ok though so I've watered them because the soil felt a little dry. Il post again about the final result of how many sprout up and look healthy.

thanks for reading-Dave

well normally if you put them in the right direction the seeds will push just the right way, and even if you put her upside down, normally she will try (at least she tries ^^ ) to flip over but it will not alway succeed ^^

I would just take it out and replace it carefully ;)

The "roundish" part of the seed, where you can see she was attached to the plant, should look at your light, and the "sharp" part should face down ;)

I couldn't take pics sorry. It was kind of impossible to see from a picture. 4 of them died two were because of the weird upside down growing if thats what it was. I think one died because the seed casing wasn't coming off of the cotyledons. I left it be because I thought it would come off on its on but I think il just help it next time. The last one I left germinating to long. I learned from this tho, I think the egg cartons is a really bad call I certainly wouldn't do it again. I find the grow medium dries out to fast in it. Thanks for the help tho guys!

And dust on your comment are you saying that pointing the sharp point of the seed down is the way to go even if its already got a root tip?

I was more just trying to put the root tip down I didn't really focus on the seeds point although I know the point should be down if your germinating the seed in the soil

well usually when you have the tip you'll have it on the "sharp" side, root tip down is normally good way to go for the seed you should not have problem, unless you don't see the good tip maybe ^^

Sad to hear about the dead girls, didn't you overwater them maybe? seedling are fragile at this age :(

Hello friend, next time you can use the method of 2 plates.

Consists of keeping the seeds in the middle of 2 plates, with a paper towel moistened with water.

With this method, get a nice piece of root, which allows you to plant the seed properly.

Remember that if the seed is not planted in the correct position, ie with the tip of the root upwards,the little spear will suffer , because it will take much more time and a lot more energy trying to position themselves correctly.

Good luck with your grow.

i did that!!! i germinated them in paper towel but in a ziploc bag instead of two plates and i got 100% germination rate( I've done the plate method and find i get better results in a ziploc) and i planted them root tip down!!! that's why i'm baffled. It literally looked as if they were growing towards the ground. It's like they got confused which way the sun was coming from. Thanks for your input tho:)