CO2 oil extraction?

donutgod77

Hi I'm new to the site and wanted to see how to put together a little project. I have heard a few things about using CO2 as a solvent to extract oils. there isn't many sites that have good teks and there isn't much out on it. Well after a few days of thinking we have come up with an idea to create an oil extractor for co2 without throwing big bucks into a co2 extractor. So if you have heard there is a company that makes a product that carbonates water through a pressurized co2 tank to create soda pop! Its a very cool little machine now here is my idea..

pure.jpg

So would there be a way to put a filtration system (coffee filter) and put all the flowers inside the jar that they provide you with then give it a couple sprays of pressurized co2 into the flowers which in turn should produce some oil via the co2 extraction. please give me some tips if you know this might be possible or if this will just be a waste of time. thanks! here is a link on some co2 extraction info if you have no idea what I'm talking about. http://www.organalabs.com/co2extraction.htm

Well i haven't tried personally any kind of extraction, but on the paper ( or on the screen should i say^^) your idea sounds good, tho i don't know if the amount to spray has to be big or by small amount and i don't if that machine would fit, but try it man, would be very nice if it did work!

Cheers keep us updated

• 3 weeks later...

I Have seen a video on youtube of a guy that tried this same extraction with the same equipment but unfortunely the bottle blew up on him nearly injuring the man. I have done my research on Co2 extraction and know what to do but haven't done it due to the cost of the equipment neccessary to do it productivly. Now there is two different methods of doing is and it is at a supercritical stage or a cold low pressure extraction. What supercritical stage co2 at a certain temp(86 F) and certain psi(800) in order to be able to extract it, which is going to cost u a lot either way because of the equipment needed or if you have a shitload of co2 that you are willing to waste. Now a cold low pressure extraction sounds more plausible money and labor wise, because you don't need to heat the co2 but just pass it thru at a certain psi, but you will need to buy a co2 recycle system to keep reusing the same co2 thus not wasting the co2 at all.