Question: Perlite & Vermiculite

I'm considering a future new medium and gathering information about it and I wish to add to that information the knowledge present in the users of this forum, that have already gave me so much from day 1!

I decided that want to control the ph of my medium and I will go hydro, I'm thinking about 2 parts Perlite for 1 part Vermiculite. I wish to have simple pots, with draining holes and run-off capability as it is with soil growings, so no pumps, and I wish to top feed by hand.

Also, please consider that I grow outdoors in a terrace with 9 to 11 hours of direct sunlight to deal with.

My questions are:

Is this "2parts perlite for 1part vermiculite" the right one to make? Or should be 50/50?

Will it be possible and viable to not have air pumps of some sort?

With these "ingredients" will I have true control of the Ph?

I wish I could have your wise experience translated into opinions to help me with this, my friends!

Thank you all in advance! ;)

I would go a 50/50 blend and also add a bit of granulated rock-wool to help with retaining a bit more moisture also layer of stone, clay balls on top. No reason way you want have good Ph control, air pump I wouldn't worry, just need to keep the water up to themshades_smile.gif

I'm still reading about it and will use it in the future, so I'm still waiting for the 3 plants I have at the moment finishes his cicle and then in the future plants I will use it..

And I'm still waiting for more opinions if possible, superbluehaze, I would love yours on this too!

Guest superbluehaze

Hi Romeu and Fuzzy,

Clay balls are great, but for hand watering they need something else that retains more moisture.

I have used many mediums and various mixtures, these include clay balls(expanded clay) with a mixture of perlite;

clay balls with coco; clay balls with coco and perlite;

coco and perlite(50/50),

coco on its own and perlite on its own; a mixture of potting mix and perlite( 60/40).

All these mediums work, but perlite is very light; coco can be a little too wet and expanded clay can be too dry, when these mediums are used on their own.

A mixture of coco and perlite is very good, but you have to use a nutrient that is specifically designed to be used with coco.

I recommend that you try a mixture of coco and perlite say 60/40.

happy growing,

john

Thank you, John! It's good to know everything was ok with you, during the time you didn't show up here, my friend!

Thank you for sharing your past experiences, I will go for the clay balls/vermiculite (70/30 right?), we talked about while chating and for the only reason i cant afford to switch to coco nuts.. But as we also talked, first I will see how the auto girl im using to test my new medium will react, only with the clay balls!

Thank you my friend!

Guest superbluehaze

you are welcome Romeu;

Clay balls are fine for a flood and drain table but not so much for hand watering; the roots need to be moist, but not too wet.

Clay has lots of air spaces but does not swell and contract like soil does, so although there is a lot of air to start off with, the roots soon use up this air, and then suffer from a lack of oxygen, or else become too dry.

i have used expanded clay alone and hand watered, pushing each pot into a bucket of water so that the air was expelled and then drawn back down through gravity as the water flowed out, and still had problems with the root zone not recieving enough air. One plant I transfered over from dirt to clay and it brought with it root fungus, which then spread to all the plants, as the roots were too wet, and I shared the water between all the plants.

The vermiculite will act as a buffer, so that the roots will stay moist, and have a reserve of moisure to draw on as the vermiculite gives up its moisture to the plants. I think 70/30 will be a good mix, but you may have to experiment a bit to achieve the ideal.

all the best, my friend,

and happy growing

john