Exclusive: Tour the High-Tech Cannabis Factory of Tomorrow

Jay Ryan

This is from an article I just read in the Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/10/exclusive-tour-the-high-tech-cannabis-factory-of-tomorrow/63974/

There is a video as part of the post too, I think it's an artists rendition of the soon to be built first legal pot farm in America. There are lots of medical grows, but they are mostly kept to under 100 plants for legal reasons. This grow in Oakland California is estimated to house 30,000 plants in 60,000 sqft.

They will use three story rack hydroponic systems, with what looks like fully enclosed and exhausted HID lighting that runs along the racks. Here is a pic form the article:

Grow_Op_53.jpg

On the video it shows rows and rows of these types of systems stacked three high.

It looks cool, but it left me wondering, in California we have tons of sun, and I know that Oakland isn't in southern cali, where the sun shine 340 days a year, but still, why would they build something of that size and not try to bring natural sun in?

What do you all think?

Guest superbluehaze

I agree with you.

The best way to grow is using a glass house. In a glasshouse,

Here one has all the advantages of a controlled environment, but with the intense light of the sun.

Black out curtains can be installed and automated, as well as HID lighting can be used to increase day length.

Carbon dioxide enrichment can be used as well so that you have all the advantages of indoor growing, but with the added bonus of intense sunlight, and nothing beats the sun.

happy growing,

john

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

i agree 100%;

but what about in winter?

using a glass house with block out curtains and lights to extend day length,

you have all the advantages of indoor growing( all year round, and a controlled environment) but under the intense light of the sun.

happy growing,

john

• 2 weeks later...