Gen Hydro

FloMicro

FloGrow

FloBloom

FloBlend

FloPlus

Kool Bloom (lq)

Grow Journal July 2010
Strains Not sure I have the strains that I ordered as theseed bank I ordered from didn't label the seeds well and make no refference to who the breeders were. It was my first order.
Afgan, Bubble Gum, Hash Plant,

August 2010

These are clones from my first grow I wasn't aware of the importance of labeling and so there all mixed up I have to wait until that grow out a bit more to attempt to identify them.

2010-08-13%2016.29.03.jpg

2010-08-13%2016.29.13.jpg

2010-08-13%2016.29.27.jpg

Guest superbluehaze

Hello dhepit,

Your plants are looking good. I would change my seed bank. I only buy from those wh sell in orginal bredders packets, but do not worry the plants will be able to be identified once they are older.

hapy growing,

john

What's good All. Here is an update I will attempt to post new pics everyweek. Clones are starting to show there traits. i had to stager the lights to compensate the growth differences. Now I will needs some help to identify them.

2010-08-19%2016.23.31.jpg

2010-08-19%2016.25.20.jpg

2010-08-19%2016.25.29.jpg

2010-08-19%2016.25.36.jpg

Only challeng so far was a deficiency I now know to be Calcium still attempting to find a way to correct it. It only appears on a few plants.

2010-08-17%2019.15.29.jpg

Ok Time to play guess the plant. I have seperated the plants by those that have the same growth rate and traits. The first picture plants grew really fast about 5 inches in a week, they have slender stems and fairly thin leaves. Who am I? Seriously I don't have enough experience to know any help will be appreciated.

2010-08-20%2000.22.16.jpg

Plants are short with thick stems, wide leaves and bushy. They haven't grown as fast as the others about 2 to 3 inches in a week. also a couple had calcium def. Who Am I?2010-08-20%2000.21.40.jpg

Ome more thing I read today that a flood and drain frequency for a recirculating flood and drain system useing with expanded clay growing medium should be every 3 to 4 hours. Can someone confirm this?

Here is my update for this week.

39lt res (tap water)

Mic 90ml

Grw 125ml

Blm 55ml

PH5.8

2010-08-25%2023.51.13.jpg

2010-08-25%2023.51.35.jpg

2010-08-25%2023.52.20.jpg

I started having some curling of leaves on one plant. I'm thinking it is a nitrogen problem based on the following information.

"If you have too much nitrogen in your growing mediums or soil the plant will have like an overall DARK green look and have delayed maturity. Due to Nitrogen being involved in vegetative growth, to much nitrogen will result in tall plants with weak stems. New growth will be very lively and plant transpiration will be high,

but not always. Nitrogen toxicity can be seen when there are very dry conditions almost as if there was a drought, which may show a burning effect. If you give your plants ammonium based nutrients they may show NH4+ toxicity, which will show a smaller plant growth and lesions that occur on stems and roots, leaf margins that will roll downward. Also the big fan leaves will have “the claw” look. The tips will point down but the leaves will stay up as if when you bend your fingers downwards. Leaves can be twisted when growing… mainly new growths. Roots will be under developed along with the slowing of flowering. Yields will be decreased, because to much nitrogen in early stages of flowering slows down bud growth. Water uptake is slowing down from the vascular breakdown of the plants as well. Too much potassium and nitrogen will lock out calcium as well."

If someone can confirm this that would be grate pictures below.

2010-08-25%2023.48.26.jpg

2010-08-25%2023.49.19.jpg

Guest superbluehaze

Hi,

The watering cycle, even when using a pump and flood and drain, takes a lot of skill and practice. The markings on the leaves show that the roots are too wet for that particular strain.

I grow hydro but i hand water for a number of reasons, one of which is that most hydro systems are designed to be used with clones that are all similar in their nutrient and water needs.

Cut back on your watering cycle, even with flood and drain using expanded clay, I would flood, at the most, twice a day - the roots need to be moist but not wet all the time.

The taller plants are bubblegum, the others are both of Afgani heritage so they may be hard to tell apart, but the leaf deformity on the plant with discoloration on the leaf shows it has super skunk for a parent, which has a lot of afgani in it.

happy growing, and I hope this helps,

john

Great reply John... I used a pump and flood and drain & it does works better when you're doing just one strain at the time, when you're doing several strains you need to start by feeding them by hand & see their reaction, maybe you'll need to hand feed for a while until you get to a point that's going to allow you to set up a feeding program accordantly to your plants need. F&D requires from you a good understanding of your plants & every mistake cost u time.

I changed to DWC & it runs 24/7 so you do not need to worry about the feeding & watering, Fuzzy posted a very nice 5 galon bucket & I can give u details of mine if you want, I did it in 10 & 20 galons Rubermaids, but you can even go lower in high if needed..

DWC%2010%20galons.JPG

DWC%2020%20gals.JPG

Good luck my man!.

Guest superbluehaze

i can see you know flood and drain systems very well. Well done.

I have never used any of these systems, so I am being an arm chair philosopher here;

if the roots are continually damp, at what temp are you keeping your nutrient solution?

such systems can offer the ideal conditions for root fungus;

its early symptoms do look almost identical to over watering, as the same thing in both cases is happening;

that is, the roots are being starved, and need oxygen.

In such systems it is easy to inspect the root zone, if my suspicions are correct, then there will be a very slight discoloration around the root zone.

I hope this helps,

happy growing,

john

Weekly update

All seems to going well, though I seem to have a N def. I have been slowly increaseing the N over the past week. I could be because I increased the size of the res from 39 lt to 42lt but I don't think that's it. PH is steady at 5.7.

42lt res

138ml grow

83ml micro

50ml bloom

todays after new res added 50 ml grow

two more days added 50 ml grow

top off 6 lt water

2010-09-03%2018.22.31.jpg

2010-09-03%2018.22.53.jpg

Here is my problem plant I first thought it was the watering frequincy, then ph, Now I just don'e know I have taken it out and hand watered it twice a day with a ph of 5.9 no change. it still seems to be growing no def or dis coloration.

2010-09-03%2018.23.01.jpg

Weekly update

All seems to going well, though I seem to have a N def. I have been slowly increaseing the N over the past week. I could be because I increased the size of the res from 39 lt to 42lt but I don't think that's it. PH is steady at 5.7.

42lt res

138ml grow

83ml micro

50ml bloom

todays after new res added 50 ml grow

two more days added 50 ml grow

top off 6 lt water

2010-09-03%2018.22.31.jpg

2010-09-03%2018.22.53.jpg

Here is my problem plant I first thought it was the watering frequincy, then ph, Now I just don'e know I have taken it out and hand watered it twice a day with a ph of 5.9 no change. it still seems to be growing no def or dis coloration.

2010-09-03%2018.23.01.jpg

just did my first pruning on this batch and took somme clones. Mostly Afgans and several bubble gum. I'm attempting to try my hand at a pertual harvest. This is when you take clone from the plants you are about to place in 12/12. These clones are then place in veg while the others are in flwr. Is should take about 6 months before the regular harvest will be every two mmonths. Has anyone currently working this system? If so any advise would be welcome.

2010-09-05%2023.19.32.jpg

27 clones 20 afgan 7 bubble gum

2010-09-06%2002.04.35.jpg

2010-09-06%2002.04.11.jpg

Guest superbluehaze

the top plant is getting too much water; unless u cut back it will be stunted and may die. The roots are not getting enough air.

happy growing,

john

Guest superbluehaze

You know the saying "a watched pot never boils". I think your plants would be healthier if you cut back on the water, even with the clones,

Be careful, as if the clones get too wet, then they become susceptible to damping off disease.

it is a very common mistake, and even experience growersdo this;

sometimes if you love something you have to let it be, and not smother it with too much kindness.

I understand, and I have learn t this through hard experience, and losing plants from being too loving.

happy growing,

john

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

exactly, my friend. Over watering is easy with F&D; and you, my friend, know from direct experience, and not from hear say.

all the best and happy growing,

john

The Flowering area is 5ft X 5ft. fortunately only 4 of the plants ar about a meter so I have placed them in a 12 inch pot and hand water them. I have set them around the main canopy. Based on my privious grows the plants in the canopy area won't get more than 24 inches tall. The main canopy plats are still in the 6 in pots and on the flood and drain. I did as was suggested and cut the flood cycle to twice a day a couple of weeks ago.

Guest superbluehaze

your plants are looking good, but you need to experiment with the watering cycle.

Personally I would try flooding them about twice during light on and maybe one when lights are off. work from there, as they are showing signs of too much water.

More plants have died from over watering, than under watering.

With some more pictures I may be able to help identify your plants;

You have done really well to separate all those that grow tall from those that stay smaller.

The tall ones are showing sativa traits; the small ones indica;

who are you - my friend you are same as all of us, blokes who love the plant, and love to grow it.

That is all that counts, the rest will come in time.

happy growing, my friend

john