Cannabinoid to be tested in fight against advanced cancers

Potent

Hey Hunters, going through recent Cana news and read this thought i'd share

Source - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209772/Cannabis-like-drug-tested-fight-advanced-cancers.html

DailyMail Uk

PUBLISHED: 02:03, 28 September 2012

Ingredient found in cannabis to be tested in fight against advanced cancers

A cannabis-like drug is to be tested on patients with advanced cancers by UK scientists.

The early stage trial will investigate the potential of dexanabinol for treating a range of solid tumours.

A similar Phase I study looking at brain cancer is already under way in the US. Results from both are expected next year.

Dexanabinol is from a family of compounds called cannabinoids and related to the active chemicals in cannabis. However, it is made in the laboratory and causes none of the psychological effects associated with the drug.

Lead researcher Professor Ruth Plummer, from the University of Newcastle, said: 'The starting point for this trial was to map networks of proteins that appear to have a role in cancer, identify points at which these networks could be disrupted, and then see if there were existing drugs to target these points.

'It was this novel approach - known as network pharmacology - that first highlighted the potential cancer-fighting properties of dexanabinol, which was originally developed to treat patients with severe head injuries. While this certainly illustrates that there may be compounds with real therapeutic potential related to those found in cannabis, it also points to the importance of applying rigorous scientific methods when selecting molecules that might have potential as cancer treatments.

'This is a Phase I trial, so the main aim will be to establish what dose is safe and assess any side effects. But we'll also be looking out to see what effect, if any, the drug has on the patient's cancer.'

Around 45 patients are being recruited to take part in the trial. All will have advanced solid tumours that cannot be helped by further existing treatment.

The study is being funded by the drug's manufacturer, UK-based e-Therapeutics.

It will be based at the Cancer Research UK and National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Experimental Cancer Medicine Centre in Newcastle.

Dr Joanna Reynolds, Cancer Research UK's director of centres, said: 'The potential anticancer properties of chemicals found in cannabis were first touched on by scientists in the 1970s.

'But it's only now that we have robust laboratory evidence in place, alongside reliable techniques for manufacturing safe and practical drugs related to these chemicals, that we're at the crucial stage of being able to embark on trials in cancer patients.

'It's the job of the Experimental Cancer Medicine Network to help speed up the journey of new drugs from the bench to the bedside and we're delighted to be supporting some of the first steps towards hopefully turning this painstaking research into new treatments that could benefit patients.'

End of Article

Peace

• Like 1

My thought's - I'm all for the Scientific studies on Cannabis but i fear it is all for the pharma Corp's gain and not for the Patient/User. At the end of the day with all these articles and studies showing benefits i feel they are just getting the general public (the non-users) used to the idea of Cannabis having major benefits & medical properties (which we have known since we first lit up) while in the meantime all the big pharma Corps are hard at work synthesising and doing what they can to turn our plant into any other form than bud/hash/oil etc ONLY in pill or spray form..... Don't get me wrong this is great news for patients, with being able to walk to your local shop and next to cough medicine and sleeping pills you can buy the latest and greatest THC based sleeping pill or Canna Cough drops..... while in the meantime they enforce harsher penalties and sentences if caught with a baggy of bud or a joint while making Seeds illegal to buy in any country in the EU and the America's crippling home grow's allowing only the Pharma Corps to Produce and mass produce they will if not are already!!! once again control the Drug Market and Persecute anyone who is smoking it for non-medical reasons and just wanting to get high like myself.

Just my 2p's worth, Could just be ramblings of a stoned dude but hey just my opinion, Either way if i have to climb up a mountain to grow i'm gonna get my hiking shoes ready and i'm pretty sure i would not be alone!!

1 thing is for sure Cannabis is getting more and more widely accepted throughout the world!

Peace

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing potent that'a a pretty good news for the Uk's :)

I feel like ya tho, sadly they are once again using a synthetic molecul created in laboratory when they could just try to extract it from the plant and make i much more natural and safe, for myself lolol ^^

but hey at least cannabis is moving a little step forward again, once people will have understand the benefical property it has, it will be our fight to make them see that the plant can be much better than the pills ;)

Thanks for sharing man

Have a good groiw