Root Rot in DWC??

Buddy

Hey Guys!

Let me start off proper and thank all of you who make this forum so special.. from all the great information contained in these threads, to the companionship one feels in the chat room..its the best of the best, and I'm glad to be home :biggrin:

Now on to business!!!

Let me introduce you to some of my family :)

Strain: BF Critical Kush

Lighting: 4 ft Fluorescnt lighting fixture x 2 (temporary lighting until new light arrives :)

3 gallon res filled 2 gallons maximum

pump is active aqua 45 liters per minute split between 6 buckets...each is connected to 6" air stone

Botanicare Nutes:

CNS 17 Grow

Liquid Karma

Cal-Mag+

* I should also add that next feeding I will be adding Botanicare Aquashiled and their new root feed ZHO(free sample)

ph- 5.5-5.8

ppm- 650

each has seperate res and gets foliar spread Liquid Karma once every 3-5 days

transplanted 12 days ago and will recieve a flush in approximately 3 days when they will be put into flower :)

So my question is does anyone think this is root rot? I am leaning towards no for a few reasons:

1. it happened to all the plants after I introduced Liquid Karma which is an extremely heavy feed.

2. parts of the dark spots I can gently scrape away...

3. the amount of bubbles in 2 gallons of water seems sufficient... i know their is a way to calculate dissolved oxygen...im just a little too medicated to think of it right now :/

4. because i don't want it to be!!! :(

my theory is that liquid karma is "clogging" up the roots because they are trying to uptake something that is not compleletly water soluble....if that makes sense....

my fear is that if it is clogging the roots how will it uptake other necessary nutrients??

I asked my hydro owner and all he said was "yeah karma is a heavy feed" .....lolz big help :) (although he is very nice haha)

has anyone had experience with adding liquid karma to their res and having the same issues?

Thanks in advance!!

post-17630-0-87113700-1352049867.jpg

post-17630-0-15519500-1352049869.jpg

post-17630-0-37483900-1352049870.jpg

post-17630-0-56391800-1352049871.jpg

post-17630-0-77222600-1352049872.jpg

sorry i'm not a hydro grower or expert so won't really have good tips for you, just wish you good luck i'm sure th expert will pass by soon ;)

But for sure those roots are having some issues. hope it will be spotted quickly ;)

Good luck man

that is your roots rotting add alil paroxide to the water it should help

thats what i was afraid it was.. been researching it all night, now off to flush with a diluted hydrogen peroxide formula then i am going to add aquashield as well.. i'll let you know how it turns out.. thanks for the help and concern guys :)

• 2 months later...

The first thing i noticed about your roots is it looks like you caught the problem early, my long roots are all brown and very unheathy looking i just started to treat them 7 days ago with a nice flush then applied hydrozyme then i used another suplament 1-5-1 after i put in the two fixer uppers i noticed in abut two days new root growth threw the sides of my 6 inch net pots in my dwc system i run 4 air stones 2 pumps with 2 lines comeing from both to have the 4 long thick round air stones i can say one thing and a question at the same time it seems everytime i use thease air stones they work fine for a couple of weeks then it seems like they are clogging up and less air is comeing threw them. is there any other kind of air stones or another way to get the air consitantly running with out the problems i am haveing? so i think i am on the right track i am going to try the hydrogen peroide flush tomorrow,as that is my regular day to flush clean and i use the hydrton clay rocks i scrub them down and sterilize them before putting them back in my 6 gallon tank,i have 4 afganie kush northern lights combination strain old school plants. very easy to grow , the largest is 31 inches high i love that word anyways the other 3 are catching up i use a 600 watt hps at the top of the canopy and i dont no if my tops are to close to the hps 600 they are about 7 inches from touhing the glass under the light,is this right or should i lower them? also is there any other thing i can do to improve my roots man they are rotting i no it ,but the plants are still growing fine except not getting any taller just branching out,i got on the 31 inch plant i very large cola developing it is 9 inches long and 2 inches wide is this normal? because it seems like this is the best grow i have ever had so far this is my 3rd grow and i have two of another strain of kush in big pots they are growing perfect i am going all organic on them i also use a 400 watt cfl for side and underneth all the plants plus i use another light that i use out of my tent posistioned toward the plants they seem to be saturated with light, so my be am i useing to much light? any help would be well taken i will put up pics soon they are going to start there 5 week of bloom tomorrow so they have been in bloom for 28 days, man there are so many buds i cant count them altho they are small. thanks anyone and everyone for your help,if it was not for you guys i would never have reached this point in growing so fast. PEACE

Aloha Buddy, It looks like you have the dreaded rwdc & dwc root rot (aka root slime) and there are two ways you can go to try to salvage the crop. One is to use H2O2 or bleach and do a dead res where all bacteria and fungi get wiped out to run a sterile nutrient solution. Hydrogen Peroxide works and so does bleach at 1 ml per 30 liters of nutrient solution. The other way is to use what is called Heisenberg Bio Tea and try to pit the good microbials against the bad ones. Here is a link to how to make and use Heisenberg's Tea.

http://forum.grassci...oot-issues.html

How to use H2O2

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/h2o2.htm

• Like 1

Thanks guys i have done everything sugested today sunday jan 20 i am still working on putting everything back together now i just thought a break would be good i started this process at 10 am this mourning and it is 5:30 pm all i got to do now is put everything back into the tent and fill up the tank add the nutes and then everything eles, im wondering i lost my photo peroid today fixing and cleaning everything should i wait untill tomorrow to put the lights back on so the p-lants have all night to recover? thanks everyone for your help i will let every one no if i get any improvements as soon as something happenes. PEACE

Thank you mod i think i got it right because of you guys i cant beleave all the gonk i cleaned off of everything oh i also put in brand new clay pepples the old ones i been useing since my first grow which i started last may have detereated into black spots all over them and left a hell of a residue in the tank, mybe that was one of the problems? i'll find out soon enough i got everything back on board,and its running perfect!!!!!!!!!! all right man this is like a full time job i got done at 9:30 pm almost 12hrs. thanks everyone for there good advice!!!!!!!!!! later