will feminized seeds create seed monopoloies in the long run

dHetep

What's good All, I'm new which means I am researching alot and I have found many of the "best strains" are only availible by feminized seeds. It seems to me that some years down the road many plants will be clone only or be lost because regular seeds were not availible to breed or grow to get seeds. This may create a seed molopoly. What are the thoughts of the community?

I don't think there will ever be a molopoly on seed, to many breeders out there now. But i do think we are going to loose some good strains because of poor breeding by people who think they no what there doing. A-lot of breeders in there effort to create there version's and strains are crossing everything with anything which is fine and that's how we have created some of the best plants we smoke and love. But in that rush to create there final goal they are failing to stabilize the strain they have just created before crossing it again. That's way I belive we are getting so many phenoms in a 10 pack of seed a 10pack of seeds back in the 90's had very few phenoms I don't think there is a breeder out there that you could plant 10 seeds and get 10 identical plants.............I'ii get of my high horse now

• 2 weeks later...
Guest superbluehaze

I do not think there is much chance of that, as many breeders, sell normal seeds, and do this particularly for the home breeder. One such company is MR Nice. The main breeder from this company used to work at Green House.

Female seeds can still be crossed with a male, and the seeds will be both male and female, though they probably would have a much higher ratio of female plants to male, but this is the case with a normal seeds too.

It is said that 50% will be male, but due to selection, the ratio tends to be more like 80% female, and 20% male.

This actually makes more sense as the male plants can pollinate many females, so it would seem the plant would be better adapted if it did produce more females than males.

This may be the case in nature, but I have no experience so I can not say for sure.

I never listen, however, when I am told to expect a 50/50 ratio, as I know from experence the ratio of female to male usually is higher than this.

happy growing,

john