Udon - 2011 Stealth Grow Box Build

UdonPenguin

December - 2010

I started to order supplys to make a customized small box to try and grow some auto's a little more descreteley.

So January 2011, I started to convert an existing filing cabinet that I had already using aliuminum tape, foam bored and some AC fans i picked up.

I first converted the cabinet by making the draws become a solid wall and ankering the right hand wall at the rear with some standard ikea style fixings i had as spares.

Cabinet

The draws were fixed with some small flat fixing to hold both draws level with a slight gap. I then ankered the door with the rest of the unit using L brackets in 3 fixing place( 2 on left side and 1 on bottom).

After I had the the new door working I started to tape the inside to light proof the draw gaps and joints using the aluminium tape.

I was also waiting on delivery of a large hole cutting device for use with a drill, this would create the holes for the fans on the new back wall I had ready to go in (this one was alot thicker).

While I couldnt move forward with more tapeing up I decided to start work on the two light traps. The first of these was the extraction going at the top of the box to pump out the hot air.

I cut the foambored exactly to the edges of the fan then taped every joint. I then hot glued some pieces I'd cut to create to walls on oposite sides to stop light coming threw.

Once I'd finished I wrapped the outer of the box with diemond reflect. The extraction light trap was ready, just 1 more to go.

Fans

I needed more supplys so once i had recieved the circle cutting bit i ordered i went out and got what I needed to get this box finished.

The 2nd light box was next, now with more foam bored I cut the pieces out to create a 3 wall light trap. Two walls on one side at one hight with the 3rd wall inbetween on the oposite side.

Bingo air moves through light gets blocked regular_smile.gif

2nd Light Trap

Just the fan to get in.

I quickley secured the new back wall with 2 slightly bigger than planned circlular holes. It was quick and easy with two holes at the bottom to scew it secure and a extra L bracket used to the secure it to the top piece.

I taped the edges and took a pic with the two fans ready to instal.

Back wall in

I spent most of the next day taping and glueing my way to full diemond reflect interior. it was tireing while im recoveing from my back operation but dam it felt good. I was ready to put the light fixing and the first fan in:

Taped Up

A little screw in there and a bit of tape here:

Wallar

Winner Just one more fan to install regular_smile.gif

F%20-%20Building%20My%20Stealth%20Grow%2

Thats it:

The Bad Boy

So after all that hard work it was finaly time to BOOT IT UP !

Its Alive

Wicked everything is working.

The fans are a bit loader than I expected but the rooms glows like a champ.

I left it running for a day and added a temp and humidity reader. I also found a few leeks of light around the door so I added some pices of foam bored as a barrier against light.

I also black taped (electrical tape) all the other edges of the door.

This did help me to reduce light leekage drimaticaly.

The next pic is of the unit with the door open but after looking i would like u to look at the first pic as that is the box on after all of this work.

Open Door

So There it is :

125w cfl blue spectrum light

1 intake fan with light trap

1 outake fan with light trap

and 1 very reflective box

teeth_smile.gif

Now what can i do about that sound from the fans?

I know I'LL buuild a box and attach a 100mm tubeing with a home made filter to stop bugs getting in.

Like magic its done :

Air Control

It has reduced the sound a bit so better than nothing. Need to make another for the extraction - coming soon

Hope you enjoyed my Stealth Grow Box Build

Look out next for the First auto grow and followed shortly after with my official GHSC Seed Test (Yer Boi)

One Love

Udon Out

Guest superbluehaze

Looking very good. Well done!

Depending on where you live and if you can open the door, then you may not need to run yopur exhaust fans so much;

if you can not have the door open, which really defeats the whole purpose of your grown box,

then if u fermented a suger solution inside the box, then the fans would not need top be on so much,

and the plants would be well supplied with co2,

here is a post on it:

www.strainhunters.com/portal/content/easy-way-co2-creation

another option is to use a SHORT piece of insulated ducting, and put the fans is a chipboard box surround by rockwool and sealed, with the ducting bringing the air in and out.

happy growing,

john

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...