The River...2011

kdstanhope

Hi Folks!

So.... I've popped a couple of seeds that I had stored in my fridge in anticipation for my up and coming river grow. The seeds are the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong. I won't go into details. Baisically Mommy #1 is AK 47 Mommy #2 is Skywalker. Mommy #3 is Swazi. All three were indoor under MH. All three were taken from cuttings. All three were mutated into pseudo hermies using colloidal silver. All three had an orgy and fertilized each other and made seeds and died....

So the mutator babies have popped and I've got 30 or so seedlings in trays under a 400w MH. Once the kids have dropped their cotyledons I'm going to pick the strongest of the bunch and move them to The River.

I'm very interested to see what comes out of these..... I think some odd plants can be expected.

The River is still being prepped, but at least the path is finally done so now we can move equipment down there.

Here are some pics of the path leading down to The River, the apparent disregard for the environment is not as bad as it looks!!! All we removed were stralitzias and bugweed as well as other invasive plants, and to offset our impact, we've taken it upon ourselves to try and rehabilitate the area a bit by planting some indiginous grasses and removing the water hungry bluegums and stralitzias.

The Pics are a bit shakey-they are stills taken from a video.

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-14h01m12s14.png

Top of Path.

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h53m45s100.png

Start of Trail

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h54m44s235.png

6th Corner

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h56m54s236.png

About half way down.

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h57m51s40.png

First view of the bottom of the valley.

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h58m13s223.png

Bottom plateau, Bridge.

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h58m25s106.png

A few metres ahead of the above pic. all that foliage is a bridge made from stalitzia stems. Take Note of the

MASSIVE tree fern to the right!!! Its like 5m tall!

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h59m06s18.png

River Bed. The first site is across here, on the other side of the valley, couldn't find a decent shot of it.

Site2 is 300m up river. Site3 is about 500m up river.

Lastly....

vlcsnap-2011-08-12-13h59m22s216.png

Thats Dali.... :-)

I'm still going to plant The Church the another site we have setup at The River so expect to see that soon(ish) and I'll post pics of the Mutator Babies once I find a camera!

Peace ;-)

Stanhope

The actual video is really cool. It was two of us riding down on 600 quad bike, me driving, a mate holding the camera. We were racing Dali down - man that dog has energy! Takes her like a minute to get to the bottom; thats a 800m path that drops around 200m in altitude!

;-) That's the best I could do! Sorry about the weird gray blocks = paranoia??

And I know the rampant deforestation looks terrible but its only stralitzia and bug weed, promise! the duiker (small buck things) have even come back and started grazing on our planted grass (the lawn kind)... and the video is a few weeks old so what you don't see is the newly created paradise that's taken over. The little forest is almost completely restored, just need to wait for some rain to get the ferns and grasses growing over again now that the shitty stralitzias aren't strangling 'em!

Peace ;-)

Stanhope

Update.

I've selected 20 of the seedlings thus far (the ones who were lucky enough to grow quicker than the others) and I am giving them some love - repotted from the trays to little 3l pots, still under the 400w MH. The unlucky seedlings are going to have to go at it alone, outside in my garden, banished to a far corner to live amongst wild strawberry and papaya trees... I just popped them in the ground (some still had their seed casing) and walked away...

Hoping to move the 20 lucky children to the river this weekend, weather permitting. They will grow in the soil. Not going to play silly buggers with pots etc. The soil is damn good on its own and a decent mix of river sand with the existing soil will only improve the situation.

Still don't have a camera. Not even my mobile phone has a camera, it has like a 16pixel black and white screen... 3310 anyone?

"The River", as it is commonly known, was originally a foot path leading down to the rock pool. It was a tiresome walk to get down and a 45min hike to get back up - hence the quad trail. Since building the trail though, things have snowballed.... mid-way up the hill we plan on growing veg and a few fruit trees, and at the bottom, where we are building a deck-come-hut-thing - from felled alien trees. Electricity and piped water are on the cards too, but we don't want to risk destroying the magic of nature too much. Currently the bottom clearing sports a fire pit, a few benches, a rock pool and a one hole golf course of sorts....

Baisically, it is a little escape into nature at the bottom of the garden. The grow sites are only accessable from the trail and are protected on the other side of the river by amazonian style jungle.

My biggest worry is not pests but monkeys! Does anyone know if monkeys eat cannabis? I'm not being funny; the monkeys eat my cabbage so it stands to reason that they'll take a chance with the cannabis.

I promise I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Hopefully this weekend...

Peace Everyone!!!

It's a shame that my posts got wiped, did you get the one i sent you about monkey repellents?

all of the repellents were harmless to the monkey, but would kkep them away from any prized veg and plants.

Great music track dude, any one reading kdstanhopes post should deffinately click the link at the bottom of the page.

The track is very laid back, very smokey sounding, reminiscient of a small club , lights low,blue haze hanging in the air and very mellow feeling, like after having a nice smoke. check it outshades_smile.gif

happy growings

Lamsbread, I did see your two posts about the monkeys. I'm glad that you also noticed that they went MIA - for a moment I thought I was going insane or that I was far too stoned and had started imagining shit.... One of mine also got hoofed.

Luckily I did see them before they went AWOL. By far the best, and my most enjoyable one, was the patch of Sacraficial Cabbages!!! The electric fence and wire mesh ideas won't really work; the electric fence because of the lack of electricity and the mesh because I'll need a lot of it and it could end up being quite costly and it will look a little prison-ish. Plus them monkeys will make a plan either way, they're smart little beggers. They open doors and even use team work to distract my dogs and sneak into my house to steal bread and fruit... But they are really cool to watch!

I suppose I could maybe share with the monkeys but I don't want to create any primate delinquents - little stoners who rob weary travellers of their stash at every given opportunity... I guess for now I'll have just hope they won't eat everything.

And maybe stay away from the "citrus" smelling strains ;-)

Thanks for punting my music Lamsbread!!! I've stuck two 'secret' tracks from my soundcloud account for everyone's listening pleasure, go ahead and download and rip and pirate and share! I make music for pleasure not profits!

Peace!!! ;-)

Hey kd, here the link i was refering to http://www.wikihow.com/Repel-Monkeys-from-Residential-Areas

ingnore the first one (electric fence), you may have already seen this one but as you said it maybe mia.

Punted your track coz i liked it, good work and partly coz the link was in light grey and thought people may not have seen it.

Good idea with the citrius strains , it is a known fact that in nature alot of animals don't like citrus, cats foxes and insects to name a few.

Letting the monkeys share is cool, but they aint your friend , they'll do what is needed to get what they want but if i had them hanginjg around i would be fascinated. You never know might even become a male equivilent of Dian fosse.

you are right best to have a understanding with the little beggars than have a conflict with them.

All the best and happy growings.