"Réunion" island

the island of the Réunion have an very old cannabis sativa variety Zamal. This variety have an incridible flavor of mango and carots but it's impossible to grow it indoor because his flowering time is very very long more than five month and the result is not very good. This variety was never crossed with the other genetics to try to reduce the time of flowering and to preserve the very interesting qualities of its genetics. One of the characteristic of this variety would be to have the gene of regeneration which allows her to flowering some year in the continuation if this one is not harvested, I think that it is the only variety in the world possessed this peculiarity. I think it's possible to see two or tree years plant on the island an it was intresting to observate how this plant can regenerate herself and what is the real maturity of this plants. I'm so sorry for my english .

Clement a french grower.

• Like 2

Yop Clément, lol we had a wave of reunion people it seems :) Good! :)

Thanks for the infos, one of her member recently subscribed proposed the zamal too.

I don't know if their would be enough things to see to make a complete SH expedition, but that would definitly be a cool expe!!

Thanks for the infos man

zamal_02.jpgworld-heritage-natural-sites-2010-reunion-island_24230_600x450.jpg

This is a plant of zamal. And the réunion island !!!

''The Zamal shares a genetic heritage with Indian and African cannabis. It is likely that the first seeds to be introduced to the island came from Tanzania. African slaves arrived in the 16th century, especially from the slave-trading Tanzanian ports. Another likely source is Mozambique. Later, in the 19th century, many Tamils came to work on the island, introducing cannabis genetics from South India. The name zamal derives from “zamalaâ€, the malagasy word for marijuana. The various local strains or phenotypes are distinguished by qualities known as mango-carrot, citrus, earthy, pepper, and so on.Cannabis use has a long tradition on La Réunion. Slaves used zamal during spiritual ceremonies or for personal use. Subsequently, traditional and sometimes festive uses became widespread, such as during celebrations marking the end of harvests. Zamal was valued by the 'gramouns', or the elderly, who used cannabis for it’s therapeutic values, or to smoke it at social meetings. Although this practice has declined since the 1960’s, with mainly younger people using cannabis, it is still alive today among some gramouns. During the chikungunya epidemic (viral infection transmitted by the tiger mosquito) that hit Réunion Island in 2006, several reports state that many Reunionese used an infusion of the cannabis leaves of zamal and other herbs as a remedy against the joint pain, fever, nausea and headaches accompanying the infection. A retrospective survey in 2007 confirmed that 40% of the islands hospital staff used herbal remedies against the disease. Three major plant species were reported: Morinda citrifolia (neem, noni), Cannabis sativa (zamal) and Eugenia uniflora (pitanga), along with numerous others. (Source: Retrospective survey of Chikungunya disease in Réunion Island hospital staff; F.Staikowsky; Epidemiol Infect. 2008 February; 136(2): 196–206.)

Zamal not only grows throughout the year, but one plant can thrive for many years on the island allowing repeated harvests. It is said that some 'ancient' plants reach a height of 20 meters. Most cultivations are found inland in the cirques of Mafate, Salazie or Cilaos, areas often inaccessible otherwise than on foot. A mature plant averages at 2.5-3 meters, it develops a massive tree-like girth and can yield several kilos of bud. In the past the buds were harvested after at least 2-3 years, at 'real' maturity, but nowadays commercialization has set in and nobody wants to wait that long. The zamal is a very vigorous and resistant strain – features that certainly helped it to survive on a tropical island that is battered by hurricanes. ''

It's a good resum from the net .

• Like 2

Hi !

I think that you must to make a SH expedition on Réunion island even if it's during less longer that the others , because the Zamal have a lot of variety on Reunion island , here we call them :

Qualité mangue carrote : it have a taste of a mango

Qualité filament rouge : This one have a lot of beautiful red filament

Qualité 2 taff : This one is really difficult to found , this one , you take 2 inspiration and you are in paradise (Really!)

Qualité poivre : This one have a taste of pepper and it sting the throat

Qualité Thym : This one have a taste of thym

Another point who can allow you to be agree to make this SH expedition is that no one have make a hybrid of the zamal with another variety

If you really decide to make a SH expedition , i would be honored to make you visit our island and to make you taste the different variety of cannabis who grow here and to bring together to a lot of persons who grow cannabis since long time and have a lot to say on it .

Cordialy

Bob-marley974

Ps : Sorry for the bad english or the faults i haven't use a translator

• Like 3

Harvested after 2 or 3 years that sounds cool, flowering forever..

Sounds really really interesting ... should be considered for a 3 to 5 day trip on the way to some asian or african main spot me thinks.

Very beautiful landscape and a relaxed vibe comes as plus. Touristic infrastructture is there as well.

Speaks french there ?