is this grey mold a serious threat?

blueskyolympia

I dunno how well you can see it in the picture but there is whispy gray mold growing around the outside of the clay pot.. I have removed them from my veg room/coat closet... until I fiigure out if it will infect the rest of my healthy hydro plants.... I did not put these seeds in dirt myself... Iam half tempted to toss em or dig em up lol and dry to re plant em in something other than dirt lol... would love any input.

post-12705-0-66656400-1350680302.jpg

I'm not certain that the white powdery stuff on your pots is mold. I'm under the impression that this is caused by salts and fertilizer residue.Clay pots seem to absorb these things. The same whte stuff can lie on top of the soil..... Which is my cue to leach my plants or replace the soil as most plants can't take too much salt. Unglazed clay pots seem to be the worst for this occurence though tbf I could be wrong! as i see your plants are at the seedling stage so presume not many nutes have been given yet if any. Either way I would re-pot em into larger pvc pots and I'd be willing to bet that your problem goes away. Peace

well clean them nicely with a nice product and put them back in the room ;)

But like amber it looks like it could be something else than mold too, perhaps the pots drying cause of the light so clay sweats :P

Good luck man

• 11 years later...

Mold can be a real pain, especially when it starts creeping around your plants. That whispy gray stuff doesn't look too friendly! It's definitely worth keeping an eye on because mold can spread like wildfire, and you don't want it messing with your other plants.If you're unsure how to handle it, it might be worth reaching out to the pros. I had a similar situation with mold in my place, and let me tell you, it's no joke. I ended up calling in a mold remediation company called SS Restore, and they sorted it out like champs.Check out their site at https://www.ssrestore.com/mold-remediation-san-diego/ for some expert advice.