Deep water System...Home made with less than $50

anguscr

This is the first deep water system I ever build, use some of the ideas from the cloning machine I have & some others from an article on the net... other ideas came on the way...

The materials are:

1 airpump.

1 fountain pum

20 gal reservoir.

2 Bubble cascades or bubble rocks

Hosts & Pipelines

DW%20conjunto.JPG

To get air to the fountain pum u need to drill a small hole & place a plastic double pipeline. Once u complete the instalation you should put a host on it & tak it above the reservoir.

Bomba%20salida%20de%20aire%20y%20motor.J

Place the 2 Bubble cascades or bubble rocks at the botton of the reservoir & glue the airpum on the side of the reservoir that u want.

Reservorio%20interior.JPG

Let the glue dry for a 2 of hours.

Cut or drill the necesary holes on the top to place the pots, the cables & pipelines out of the reservoir Top%20w%20holes.JPG

Install the componentnt on the reservoir...& that's

s all.

Reservorio%20interior%20armado.JPG

Because this is my first DW system, I would love any comments or recomendations!!!!, before I try it in the nxt days.

Peace & love everybody!!!

Guest samuelo
Nice stuff Angus... Fuzzy will want a look at this and hopefully provide you with a few tips - i a soil guy so not so hot on this technique but it looks like you put a bit of work into it and for less than 50 bucks - thats what its about man - keeping costs down

Thanks Samuelo... Yes, actually I have some douts about the fountain pump, I get the idea from my clone machine but seems that the pump came with a "special" hole to place the pipeline, I'm also not sure if is needed or bringing any good to the system.

very very sweet.

i am guessing you will starting a new grow soon ? will you be using this with the fresh batch of seeds you just started >>> arjan haze 3 , big bang, cheese and the crystal meth ?

like i told you before hydroponics is the one thing i am a virgin at. i minimul knowledge on this subject. maybe i will be able to learn from you my friend ?

i hope the system works properly and you are happy with it. great price also, where did you purchase the products used to make this ?

Hi biggreenbuds...I was planning to move the 3 mini clones that I have, 1 White Russia, 1 Chrystal & 1 Corinto that I have in veg & they're taking some time to develop roots, check them out:

Corinto

Corinto.JPG

Chrystal

Chrytal%201.JPG

White Russia

WR.JPG

But I want to have comments from some body who has experience using DWC... So I'll wait for a while.

Hi Fuzzy... Per Samuelo's comment I understant that you have good experience with DWC, I was wondering if the Fountain Pump is bringing any good to the system. In my clone machine ( u can check it at www.groclone.com) the pump has a little hose that brings air in to the pump, but as is in my "home made dwc" just moves the water but no bubbles. Should I take it out?

Good Fuzzy I will...besides I decided to do some changes, changed the reservoir for a smaller one (the first one was just to heavy & uncomfortable) with a flat top & now it can handle 15 plants.

Sistema%20expuesto%20sin%20armar%20solo%

15 holes top.

Tapa%2015%20unids.JPG

Install all components in it & tested.... It bubbles!!!

Sistema%20expuesto%20burbujeando%202.JPG

So I decided to put the chrystal "mini clone" in it to push it to root!

Sistema%20burbujeando%20con%201%20Chryst

Need to clean up & I will later... Any comments are welcome!!!!!!!

Good start!

As you are asking for suggestions, I will give you what I have learned over the last 2 years of making my own DWC.

1. use black, or any dark color you can find.

2. Move to individual container when budding. I use black 5 gal buckets.

3. Use a dual container system. What I mean by that is have one smaller shallower container with the actual plants. This must be raised. Below this container have another bigger container (I use the same 5 gallon black containers) as a resevoir. You will need to pump up to the top unit from the bottom one once a day, and have a drain line that drains back down to the resevoir.

Sam_0439Small.jpg

As you see on the left are the resevoir black 5 gallon buckets. I have a 35 gallon black trash barrel that I use outside. The square buckets go in the cabinet, but are above the 5 gallon round buckets used for the resevoir.

I use a strong pump in the resevoir because it is pumping up hill, and when the resevoir runs low, the pump has to work harder. The pump you have is fine, but take your line and hold it up and see how far up your pump will pump. There is science to it, but I don't know what it is exactly to I play around.

Final comment on dual compartment, and I find this to be very important. Small grows like yours, and mine need a few things, in DWC. Good clean water with proper PH, and nutes.

So, what I do is I start with nutes in the top buckets. The resevoir has fresh PH water. As the plants drink the fresh water replaces the nutes water in the buckets.

A few days before I change my water, usually every 10 days, I will drain and clean the resevoir, turn off the pump, and let the top plants deal for a day or two. Make sure there is plenty of water before you disconnect.

Make a fresh batch of nutes in the resevoir. Wait a day or two for the clorine to leave the water then make the nutes, then drain the top container completely. It would be nice to fresh PH water bath them, then fill from the resevoir.

Now your plants have nice nutes water, clean and fresh, no salts remain in the tub. With my veg tubs I actually take the top part off and clean the container of any salts.

Refill your resevoir and leave it fresh and PHed and turn back on the timer and pump, and it is fine for 10 days at least.

Here is another container that I use for vegging. They are narrow, and are easier to handle. They won't fold in the middle, and only need minor support.

You have to remember, the plant will get heavy, and the more you have in one container, the harder it is to handle as the grow goes on.

Remember, you will have to maintain this environment for 8-10 weeks of budding, it can get pretty messy. That's why I use individual buckets for my budding.

Here is a to box that actually can feed from the same resevoir if both are using the same nutes:

Sam_0277(1).jpg

I was using the blue tubes until I found the black in flexible. Whenever any light can get in, algae will grow, period!

Even your air lines need to be black. Just use the same 1/4 you use for drippers.

Just some thoughts I thought would help.

Good luck!

Good work!! Good call on using black on everything!!!... As I understant the big system you use (individual container + reservoir) is similar to the one I used several times (I think is called sinking or something)

homemade%20hydro%20set%20up.JPG

homemade%20hydro%20set%20up%202.JPG

homemade%20hydro%20set%20up%203.JPG

Sinkking.JPG

The above system fills up the tray 3 times a day for 15 minutes, the airpum is located in the reservoir to bring oxigen to the water/nutes.

What I don't get on yours is that you say that is a DWC & that the plants are 24 hrs in bubbluling water... but looks very good!!!

Thanks for the tips...Love!

You are using what is called flood and drain. When your pump goes off the water drains down, your medium remains wet, the plants feed, all is well.

It's all well and good until you lose power for two days and are 3 time zones away ;)

I started with flood and drain and then lost a few plants, I live in a drastic winter weather area. At any rate, I switched to DWC. Then I traveled a lot, and need to have a system that does both, DWC, and refill the DWC from bellow.

What I found was that by combing the two systems you get the best of both worlds. Small top container, easy to handle. The ability to run your plants for a week-10 days and not worry.

I built a new grow shed, called it super shed and posted it in the grow room section. Check it if you get a chance.

I'm using lots of timers and stuff. I'm going to add auto open and close vents and stuff, internet webcam, and some robotics.

Think about a waterfarm kit http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=37&navid=4, I bult one for my shed, but inside I wanted to be able to veg the same way without needing a lot of floor space.

• 2 weeks later...