Playing with stalks

GElite

So last night I'm breaking down some stalks from my last grow to get em out of the house and I noticed that when I would break the stalk the woody material would snap but the outside would just split. I tried to break it but I could not pull it apart. I pulled a single strand about the width of 5 hairs and I still couldn't break it. I know they say hemp is the strongest natural fiber but damn. I took a hammer to the center pulp and broke it into little peaces and I separated the wood from the fiber then I raked it thru a metal tooth brush. After a few minutes of that it started to get really soft and suple kinda like cotton. I was stoked, I started twisting the fiber and before long I had a rope about 2 ft long. I think I'm gonna start doing this to all my stalkes until I have enough for a hemp bracelet. It was really gratifying having made something out of a plant that I grew. Now instead of just smoking it all and having nothing left now I can smoke it and have a bracelet to remember how dank the bud was and no one will ever know that the bracelet was conceived thru an illicit activity. Lol

• Like 1

sounds cool man, i often find myself trying to break those fiber too lol, but had enver thought about using them at the time ^^ for sure next time i'll have a gro running i'll think about it :D

Make sure ot share your bracelet when you'll have it ;) and maybe some little pics of how you did, even if it's well explained it's always easier with pics :D

Have a good day

the link here to a wiki page on retting. Retting makes the fibres come away from the stalks a bit easier. also drys the fibre.

might be useful for the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retting

also the inner part of the stem.. the pith or cellulose can be pulped for paper.

so once retted the fibres kinds of break away from the wood, kind of like how the bark falls away from a branch as it dries and shrinks, then the wood can be cut up into small 1cm sections and soaked and pulped for paper.. probably a bit more to it than that but its a start.

now all you need to do is grow enough weed to make me a pair of pants.. lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...