a easy way of co2 creation

Guest Markus

Hey hunters,

today i want to show you my "advanced" technics how to create high ammounts of co2 without paying and waste money for co2 bottles. You only need sugar, baking yeast, water, a bucket. and some electronic supplys and at least a timer.

(I know now several of you would say or ask why you not using yeast powder instead baking yeast, the answer is easy, just get whats available. Both will work.)

This is the list of parts iam using:

1. A bucket 10 Liters

2. A good small pc fan + power supply (optional)

3. A funnel (arround 12mm inner diameter) (optional)

4. Paperboard for the bucket cap

5. Baking Yeast/ Yeast powder (whats arround in store)

6. 2 KG sugar

7. Hot! water (else the yeast cant do his work)

Rule of thumb:

1 Kg sugar will create you 246 Liters of CO2, the release time could be raised with more yeast.

I dont want to give you a tutorial how to build the co2 bucket. You just could put a open bucket with yeast and sugar

into the room without the electronics iam using. But remeber, the plants dont need co2 at nights. So you have to cover

the bucket at nights. Or just use a timer with the fan like i do. The fan should blow inside the bucket and blows

available co2 into the funnel. So thats the technic. I think easy to build. So you dont need a build tutorial ;)

2010-12-29%2010.50.25-238x178.jpg2010-12-29%2010.54.33_0-238x178.jpg

2010-12-29%2010.51.23-540x719.jpg

Ok, i fill up the bucket with arround 2 Liters hot water (real hot water, because the yeast cools the water down).

2010-12-29%2010.55.34-540x721.jpg

2010-12-29%2010.56.01.jpg

2010-12-29%2010.56.26.jpg

Next up, i put arround 10 x 42 grams baking yeast in the water and stirr as long until yeast is gone in the water.

2010-12-29%2010.57.09.jpg

2010-12-29%2010.56.33.jpg

Open the 2Kg sugar and fill all into the bucket and stirr verry long, the sugar needs some time until clear.

The next you see is fully optional, so i just post you the pics here.

2010-12-29%2011.01.04.jpg

2010-12-29%2011.01.11.jpg

2010-12-29%2011.04.03.jpg

2010-12-29%2011.04.09.jpg

This method creates enough CO2 for my 2sqm box. You can check out how much yeast you need

for your room, but its a long process to see the results. So hard to say how much more yield you will get at

least. But the plants will much appreciate it.

Dont forget to stirr every day. After some days fill hot water to it because some of it will evaporate.

2010-12-29%2018.43.05.jpg

This is how it looks after some hours. Pure CO2 is coming up ...

Exchange every 2 weeks and mix a new bucket.

Thats it folks. easy :)

peace

MCGyver... Hehehe, yes i just try to use things i have arround before i go out to buy things. :)

Also some things like cfl setups can be easy made with some intrests and parts. Lets use our

hammer and nails fellows teeth_smile.gif

peace

I do something similar, but I don't use any fans or anything, I just have these 1 gallon jugs between my plants all over the place. Oh, and from what I understand, you don't need to dump it, just add more sugar ever two weeks. The yeast will multiply and live off the sugar, and keep producing CO2.

Cool stuff!

Guest Markus

I dont think you would use my yeast 2 times, the stink is evil bro. The cost is low, so rechange it and keep flys away.

peace

• 2 weeks later...

very good thinking, my friend!!

once again, creativity has proven to be the most important asset we growers have...

my plants will enjoy this setup very soon, thats for sure, but can CO2 harm the plants above a certain level? I know that above 5% (conc. in the air) it is toxic for humans

Guest superbluehaze

hi marcus,

Firstly mate i want to apologize; We got crossed wires on the day, and here in Australia it is nothing to tell a friend to "fuck off". I understand things are different in the rest of the world, and although you did not complain about it, i still want to say I did not mean anything by it. i was in the wrong, and being the Grow Guru and coordinator of the grow section, I should have held myself in check. I do apologize.

ok

it is a great idea mate. with co2, it can do harm if the level raises about around 2000 parts per million;

at such a level it can become toxic to both us and the plants.

Also remember, that in order for co2 to increase yield, it is the weakest link that determins this;

what i mean here is this, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link;

the co2 will increase growth rates and your yield enormously as long as nothing else is letting you down:

the plants need a lot of light and adequate nutrients.

Your temps can also be a little higher, as this helps the plants metabolize the co2 better.

The temp can go as high as 30c, and, in fact, these temps are necessary for the plants to fully metabolize the extra co2 in the air.

Around 1000 to 1500 ppm is idea

but any extra co2, as long as it does not reach toxic levels, is of benefit to the plants as long as they are getting enough light.

Photosynthesis - light plus co2 in the presence of chlorophyll results, through a long process of converting light energy into chemical energy, in the plant having more food. and plus more energy to power growth and flowering.

Tthe light must be there for the plant to be able to use extra co2.

Rremember also your room must be well sealed, or else the gas just escapes and your plants do not receive any benefit from it.

Your method is cheap and does not involve expensive gear which is a real plus, as setting up co2 injection can be very expensive;

happy growing my friend,

john

• 2 weeks later...

so today i competed my Co2 setup - very similar to what markus have done (thanks for the cool idea!!)

the thing is: i dont have a Co2 meter, so i wouldn't know if the level will be too high, so i was wondering what are the symptoms of Co2 toxication? what signs do i need to pay attention to?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...