Pheno types

Big'G'

I do not blame you if you did not get those answers, they were a little bit vague hehe

A phenotype is an expression of a plant characteristic such as smell, shape, taste, potency and so on.

It´s a way for the flower to create more diversity. It´s a interaction between genotype and environment to create different phenotypes.

Genotype is the exact dna properties of the flower that in the long run determine phenotypes. If two exact copies have the same genotype it is called isogenic and clones are a good example of that.

When breeders create the strains we grow they will have a variety of phenotypes. After X time of crossing and back crossing they try to get that number down as much as possible.

Not all of the phenotypes will have a desired value and many will have a hermaphrodite side or just not good for growers because of lack of yield or potency(as an example). They try to find what they believe is what will sell and the market would like.

Usually a strain still have about 3 different kinds of phenotype if they are done proper. Sometimes even as good as 2 but i never seen a strain with just one phenotype.

That is one reason why we take clones. To choose what we like. For me personally i do not mind a few phenotypes in my garden because i like to be able to choose.

I hope that was not to much ranting

;)

Thank you for the explanation Toke. The phenotype / genotype has always been a bit of a blur to me up until now. It is my understanding that phenotype diversity is more-so a trait of hybrids, than pure strains? I think you answered my question, but just to be sure is it safe to say that genetically identical plants (clones) will create absolutely no phenotype diversity? If so, I think I finally understand. Thanks in advance.

yeah they should all be the same from clones, you might see some diferences between the plants, but will be because of diference of light amount or things like that, all in all they'll be the same, clones :)