Real Strain Hunter from USA here! Greetings..

DanMacGrowesalot

Hi all,

I have been trying to join this site for about 6 months. I discovered it thanks to Dana Larsen and my friends at the Vancouver Seed Bank in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but the site would not work when I tried to join until just now. I picked up one of those awesome strain hunters posters they were giving away and had no idea of this place...

So I have been growing cannabis since I moved to BC from Arkansas when I was 15 years old. I had already been trading and collecting rare native plants and orchids on Gardenweb.com (particularly cypripediums, but others as well) since I learned to use the internet at 5 or 6 years old. I remember not wanting to move to BC because my unfamiliarity with the fauna of the area, which was my greatest passion, and also my multi-thousand dollar native orchid collection would not survive the new climate. They are probably still growing in Arkansas today..

I already smoked weed for a couple years before I moved north, but mexican brick was all I knew. It is always pressed chips of dark green or brown, grassy smelling plant material. Males and females are mixed in the flat, seed-filled, tricome absent, abused excuse for marijuana that dealers would tell you was "fire". It was grown like industrial hemp, and you had to smoke a lot at one time to get the mildest high. When I got to BC, my older brother who had visited already procured a dime bag, shamelessly out in the open, to my astonishment in the city of Victoria. The police down south have very conservative/Christian values and consider cannabis to be just another "drug", same as meth, cocaine, or heroin, and beatings for a roach in the ashtray are not uncommon in my homeland.. I examined the bag and concluded that it was not marijuana, and it looked laced to me; why else would it have shiny, crystal looking things on it's surface?, I thought. After seeing my brother laugh at my caution and smoke some with no ill effect, I smoked the bowl that changed my life forever.

I began reading Cannabis Culture Magazine and High Times every month and began to add knowledge to my plant background. I could already both identify and grow thousands of other plants and even recognised thier families and binomial names. I became a fan of the intellectual and scientific side of cannabis through the local culture and the publications and internet information. I met Marc Emery at his HQ when I was 15 as well; My father wanted to grow but was paranoid about seed shops and hydro stores because he did not read the information I had studied so seriously. I thought that if we could talk cannabis with the Prince of Pot, it would ease his irrational fears. Marc was thrilled to meet Americans with southern accents; like I said before, not many fans from my area. I became good friends with Marc and almost everyone at CCHQ and the BCMP over the next years and moved across the USA and Canada, honing my botanical and scientific skills all the while...

I am currently collecting landraces and elite NW clone only strains that have been all but lost. I am planning a few expeditions in the near future that I will write about at a later date, but I will tell you my next big trip: Northern Pakistan in the fall. I have a few places in mind, but obviously there will be a lot of planning over the next months to check safety and to gather information from my contacts in Lahore and Abottabad Pakistan. I am doing this all on my own budget, with only a couple locals for guides. Possible locales for landraces: Chitral, Murree-Abottabad, Kalam, and North of Islamabad on the Karakorum Hwy route to K2. I will be posting updates about my research on the regions and preparations for the trip regularly.

Mexico, Peru, and ???? also to come in the future. Botany and Strain Hunting are my life. I have whole-heartedly dedicated my life (after almost losing it) to my current and future endeavors in strain hunting and breeding, as well as the progression of scientific thinking among the common people of earth.

Peace everyone!

DanMacGrowesalot

• Like 4

Hello danmac, Welcome on SH forum, i'm glad you finally managed to subscribe here, it seems like it has been a longtime for you lol, we had few support uploading ( this forum is brand new) and some updates are still made sometimes making site off. but not very often ^^

That's some nice plant story you have, starting early, and not ready to finish, we all here are passionate of the plants, in lots of different ways but it's all about passion ;)

I hope you will find some nice information here, and you'll probably have some to share with us too, if you have plants too show don't hesitate to do so ;) Orchidea, cannabis whatever you want :ph34r:

Have a good discovering of the site man

Welcome to SH forum and chat Dan. Nice reading you gave me ;) , I hope your plans to Pakistan become good. I live in Peru for many years before and they have a nice landrace called Moño rojo! But you need to run for good gen´s, a lot of farmers have start to grow different skunk strains. But still you can find Moño rojo.

Peace

Jimmy