horizontal growing great article interesting technique.

Gfarmer

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4559.html

How can I maximize the yield of each plant?

I am a patient with a medical card in Colorado. I use about an ounce of marijuana a week to ease the pain of my spinal cord injury. I am allowed to grow six plants but my yield per plant is only about an ounce so I can supply myself with only a fraction of my need. How can I grow enough marijuana to meet my needs?

James,

Walsungburg, Colorado

Colorado law limits the number of plants that you may have to six, as well as the amount of dried marijuana to two ounces.

The law does not limit the size of the plants or the amount of light that can be devoted to their growth.

If you are yielding an ounce per plant and you have six plants you are probably growing the plants under a 400-watt or 600-watt high intensity discharge lamp such as a high pressure sodium lamp.

Plants produce the food they need for growth and energy by using light to power photosynthesis. This series of photo-electro-chemical reactions produces sugar from carbon dioxide and water. So light equals growth and yield. With more light the yield increases.

The best strategy given these facts is to grow very large plants. In Oregon, another state with plant number limits, some medical patients grow large plants that are eventually placed in individual three-footsquare (3' x 3') containers. Each container is placed under a 1000-watt lamp. While they are growing vegetatively for about two months, they are pruned to increase major branching and to fill their allotted canopy space. Only then are the plants forced to flower.

I think the process can be sped up by growing the plants under intense light.

As they grow, spread them out. Give them more space so they can branch out.

Rather than pruning, let the plants grow multiple branches. If they are bushy and form a pin-cushion shape they should be grown to a size large enough to collectively fill the canopy of the light, approximately 12-16 square feet.

If the strain you are growing tends to be tall, the plants should be allowed to grow to about six feet in height and then placed in containers that are designed to hold the plants horizontally. There are containers that are specifically designed to allow plants to be watered easily in this position.

The horizontally placed plants are put next to each other under the lights in a 16 square foot (4'x4') space per 1000-watt light.

The side branches will turn to the lights and grow vertically, each becoming a main stem. When these branches are 15-20 inches tall, it's time to place the plants into flowering.

When the plants are harvested, use the regeneration method. Leave vegetation on all the branches. That way, less time will be spent on growing infrastructure during the vegetative period; the branches are there, they only have to be re-leaved before being forced to flower again.

Harvesting all the plants at once would put you over the limit of two ounces. To avoid this problem, you should space your plants' harvest times by starting plants a month apart. When one plant is removed from the flowering room, another is placed inside to begin its flowering journey. To stay under the two-ounce limit, each plant could be harvested over a period of several weeks, as the medicine is used.

If you are making your own clones, keep one plant as a mother. About a month before a garden is to be harvested, take large branches from the mother plant for cloning. Place three or four inches of the branch in a very moist cloning material in a humid cloning room or under a large dome that conserves moisture. The clones will develop roots slowly but they will be rooted by the time the plants are harvested.

There are several drawbacks to using the methods described above. First, it requires a lot of light, much more than you would need under a more efficient system with more plants. Second, since the garden is perpetual, there is no down time to clean the garden or get rid of pests and infections. It pays to be innovative. Be very clean and careful about what you bring in to the garden and integrate cleaning and sterilizing into your routines as preventive maintenance.

ask ed, rosental

i never knew this technique can be done indoors but i have done something similar to this outdoors and its a really cool way of increasing your yeild when your outdoors its also a really good way to hide your plants as they keep a really low profile the quality of the bud is quite nice as well it really cuts down on the smaller fluffy buds but there is some down sides to this technique it can be quite stressful as your basically tricking the plant into thinking the side branchs are the top of the plant but when done right the results can be quite impressive.

so what i wanna know is who has tried this technique indoors i haven't ever heard of it before being used in an indoor setting but because of the results i got outdoor i could see how indoor it could just kill it in a medical set up where you cant grow to many plants . if anyone has used this techique and has pictures but i dont meen those set up where the plants are on an angle this is completely horizontal.

Don't think it is the same tec bozoph, on the article they talk about leaning a plant to the Horizontal not vertical, actually it's the opposite technique lol ;)

Well Green, i can see how this can be usefull if the girl in question has a 1000W for herself like in the article, but i don't see in a regular grow room how it can be usefull unless of course you really have High issue, but even there, a good bending will probably be better than putting your girl horizontal way..

But that's the way i see it, it doesn't mean i'm right lol, it's just that we got wicker stems, less lights, and no yeild or plant number limit ( for most of us at least ^^ )

There was an article years ago in high times about a guy (I think in Holland) that used multiple HID's to grow one plant.

Although it was not a horizontal grow it yielded a huge amount of bud.

The main cola was bigger than a 2ltr dinks bottle.

I guess when it comes to plant number limits, size is everything, it's like the guys that grow outdoors in Cali, they grow massive 10ft plants which can yield a pound of buds.

Peace

Lams

yeah i would never be able to use this technique myself i dont have the space right now plus i like to take everything out of my closet and clean my cupboard up and down every couple of weeks but its because half of my closet is still a closet and because of the fans and how sticky bud can get i tend to find little pieces of lint on my weed when i look at it through a microscope. but i could see this technique being a good technique if your growing like 1 plant and you have a couple of lights to grow it stright acroos the ground and then daisy chain a bunch of lights together along the length of the plant im gonna try to find a picture and post it of what im talking about the artical didnt have any diagrams which i think would have helped alot for people who havent done this.

even when i first found out about this from my buddy i thought he was crazy .but outdoor the technique we used is alittle different then what hes talking about in the article in the article hes talking about buying a special pot that is ment to grow plants horizontally so i would assume this would be less stressfull because outdoors the way we did it was we planted the plant in the ground.

waited until it was 5 or 6 feet high and thengrabbed it from the top and streched it across the ground in a straight line tied it down using a string and a rock and home made stakes. we would plant one plant every 5 feet and the end result would look like strawberry bushes all the branchs face straight up and form single colas .

ok so its been very hard for me to find a picture of this i found this LST picture that has a similar effect to what im talking about but in this picture it just done by bending

what i was doing outdoors was tieing the hole plant down to a 90degree angle. i could imagen doing this with a specially made pot would be less stressful

perfect_lst.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

great article here regrading the horizontal growing. That is quite a new technology and a better idea for me. The plants are grown horizontally and giving good output.

plase post some pics if you can of how you are doing it i would love to see.