ShaggyGrower

ShaggyGrower - White Rhino and BIO Feeds test

126 posts in this topic

@ShaggyGrower when i work in garden with product to burn, kill bad weeds i use a sprayer only for product like that bad product and for treatment on buxus or roses or other i use an other sprayer so your sure not have bad product in it 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, g22. said:

@ShaggyGrower when i work in garden with product to burn, kill bad weeds i use a sprayer only for product like that bad product and for treatment on buxus or roses or other i use an other sprayer so your sure not have bad product in it 

The bottle was labelled "H2O2". 

I forgot my Rule Number 1:

Never, EVER, go near your plants with feed, scissors, etc (only eyes) when stoned, EVER! 

1 person likes this

Well, an eventful few days since the last update.  Things I have learned:

You may very well mix your calmag, but you need to check the ph before applying as it DID go more alkaline with time.  Started in the bottle at 6.25, and ended up at 8.1 after a week!

Once I'd clocked the above, and given the plants some fresh & properly ph'd water (and back under blue 125w CFL), they started growing happy again.  Granted, they still look very damaged/abused.

DSCF3702.thumb.JPG.d9b9e732cd31cb92b20bd4eb12e1ce30.JPG

DSCF3701.thumb.JPG.07b1869c8f9546b8879101d36c282a12.JPG

DSCF3704.thumb.JPG.c64bc14bf5f6dbfa260623bba80c4389.JPGDSCF3703.thumb.JPG.14d551f2132ae94836cb2c90c5af0b7e.JPG

1 person likes this

Day-tripping to the living room window.  A nice sunny day today.

DSCF3706.thumb.JPG.eb41a9eb45e74a576582dd3681cc4032.JPG

I'm getting 1807 (x100, so 180,700) lux, or so says my measuring device, so figured that was good light.

DSCF3707.thumb.JPG.200de476c1f6318b338fb4ae08396cfb.JPG

Saves a bit on electricity as well :)

M & 3 at their base weight (3.6kg) so will give 200ml of tap water each (boiled & sat for a bit, so has some calcium, etc, rather than rain water as I've emptied out my indoor water butt for cleaning).  5 is just under base weight, so will get 100ml.  6 will get 50ml.

Happy Growing!

1 person likes this

It seems a very bumpy road so far @ShaggyGrowerand hope it gets smoother.

Just going through your grow threads, this and your budding grow, and all those measurements, pot weights and tests would send me over the edge. I think chasing the numbers just leads to problems, best to keep it simple.

Seems more time is lost chasing numbers and watching plants suffer whilst valuable growing time is lost. 

I have also found that constantly moving plants does disturb them and restrict development. Plants have senses just like humans and know much more than you would think.

Hope things get better.

4 people like this

Hi @I'm Sal,

I hear what you're saying, but for me, assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

I can guess/assume I *know* the ppm / ph / weight / temp / humidity / etc, but by guessing, I could be wrong.  So why take the risk when I can measure?

Some of the problems I have had have been due to not measuring enough, such as when my calmag spray went from 6.25ph to 8.1 in a week.  One point on this: I need to invest in a vastly more accurate ph meter, as the three I have, after a few days, they give different readings (~0.2 ph difference. One might say 6.08, the other 6.23 and the other 6.28).

The numbers I am chasing are the number I want my feeding solution/water & run off to be, etc.

I'm still a newby grower so I don't have the experience and confidence yet to guess-load, fire and forget. 

I'm not that good at lifting the pot and guessing whether it needs a water or not, so a slip a scale underneath the pot when I'm lifting it and take a measurement.  Yes, it takes longer, but the measurements give me confidence on my path rather than adding to my anxiety.

I agree I move the plants around a lot.  I shall work on that.

Happy Growing!

1 person likes this

Luckily, we humans evolved by learning from our mistakes. 
We all make mistakes, and sometimes, even if we don't fuck up, shit hits the fan by her own.

I've always heard NOT to move plants (say, indoor-outdoor-indoor) as they adapt to their enviroment, and any change can stress them really to the point of dying.

As of the burns.. We'll just have to wait, i guess. PH is a true bitch.
Another thing to take in account is the Soil's PH itself: they vary a LOT.
Example is the soil i'm using (BioBizz All Mix) which, if watered with my sink water (6.8 PH) runoff comes as a perfectly neutral 7.0.
Yet, my greenhouse soil (actual dirt) is far more acidic: if watered gives off an awful 5.8 PH. I guess it's the influence of tomatoes and such.

Just sayin that it's worth checking it out before-hand.

Lastly, i got to agree with Sal: too many numbers deviates attention from what is deserved. It's good to keep track of numbers, but not to the point of going crazy after them. After all, weed is a plant like other plants. You plant it, feed it, harvest it. I don't think nature cares as much as we do with nute density, PH, EC etc etc. Ofc this is a controlled enviroment, but don't let the numbers control you ;)

Hoping they survive this bad phase.

Cheers!

1 person likes this

Hi @LedCherryBerry,

I've still to understand why it's not good to move a potted plant from one place to another.  I can understand indoor to outdoor as, for example, outdoor they have more chance to pick up pests.  I can understand that in moving them, there's a chance one could break a branch, etc.  So there are risks, and there are also rewards (natural light has more spectrum than many artificial lighting systems, and it's free.

Yup, ph can be a bitch, especially when it moves around on you like my foliar spray (not the H2O2 one). Like you say, I think it's best to check (with measuring device) beforehand.

The numbers I produce, while looking complicated, are fairly simply for me to note down.

Weights: Lifting pot onto scale - only slightly more time consuming than lifting & guessing.

Ph: ph meter. Important to measure imv, and important to have a device that measures accurately.

EC/PPM/Temp: All on one device for me, so noting down numbers is easy. Now I'm guessing, but I don't think many readers actually read my data thoroughly, as I put  test error figures in the data the other day (Saturday) and nobody has picked up on it.  Bottom line, the responsibility for checking the plant is getting what it needs, rest with me.

Anyhoo, I've transplanted 6 into a bigger pot (~4l). They're all looking much, much better today having been watered only ph'd 6.2 24hr aired tap water (ppm 330) and under the blue 125w CFL.

So, we're back to Happy Growing!

On 2/13/2018 at 0:25 PM, ShaggyGrower said:

Hi @LedCherryBerry,

I've still to understand why it's not good to move a potted plant from one place to another.  I can understand indoor to outdoor as, for example, outdoor they have more chance to pick up pests.  I can understand that in moving them, there's a chance one could break a branch, etc.  So there are risks, and there are also rewards (natural light has more spectrum than many artificial lighting systems, and it's free.

Yup, ph can be a bitch, especially when it moves around on you like my foliar spray (not the H2O2 one). Like you say, I think it's best to check (with measuring device) beforehand.

The numbers I produce, while looking complicated, are fairly simply for me to note down.

Weights: Lifting pot onto scale - only slightly more time consuming than lifting & guessing.

Ph: ph meter. Important to measure imv, and important to have a device that measures accurately.

EC/PPM/Temp: All on one device for me, so noting down numbers is easy. Now I'm guessing, but I don't think many readers actually read my data thoroughly, as I put  test error figures in the data the other day (Saturday) and nobody has picked up on it.  Bottom line, the responsibility for checking the plant is getting what it needs, rest with me.

Anyhoo, I've transplanted 6 into a bigger pot (~4l). They're all looking much, much better today having been watered only ph'd 6.2 24hr aired tap water (ppm 330) and under the blue 125w CFL.

So, we're back to Happy Growing!

Nothing wrong with testing and each to their own @ShaggyGrower but sometimes having too many "targets" to aim for all to fall in line at any particular time is generally impossible.

As well as growing, I have had many on and off years keeping a marine reef set up which also have "targets" to chase. In fact far more many "targets" than this growing game. When I first started with the marine set up I bought all the top notch stuff (all equipment & test kits) including livestock (fish & corals) which cost a small fortune and more!

Then I chased the "targets"...........costly disaster after costly disaster despite the "targets" I was aiming for being within a good range. I lost interest but started again, which I did many times over the years, and concentrated on having healthy livestock and used them as my guide but still kept the numbers as close as I could even though mostly they were outside most ranges. 

I had the most healthy of reefs and livestock when the supposed "targets" did not correlate ideally. No different to growing and here is the place to find out what works for some of us and consideration could be given to it from outside the "target" box. The forum is for exactly that and here you can see how grows get on. 

I honestly believe, from experience, that having too many numbers in your head can just over complicate things.

Take even the most simplest thing such as weighing the pots.........you already know what you have put in them using the liter scale but then try to correlate that scale of measurement with KG by weighing them also. Besides, all the plants will tell you when they need water or not and a simple lift and feel will more than suffice.

I must reiterate, each too their own but since you are a new grower I am sure you will not be carrying on the same routine as you are now after a few more grows. Maybe soil to start with may have been a better introduction to growing your own smoke.

As for all the posters on your other grow thread not picking up on the bait you left.......sorry but I strongly suspect it was not picked up on simply because most growers simply do not do what you are doing and also the format, if it is read, is too complicated to read at a glance. No need to try and trip any of us up buddy.

Just speaking from experience @ShaggyGrowerand I have learned no need to over complicate things always hovering over them. 

1 person likes this

Sincerely, i absolutely have NO idea of why moving a plant from one place to another can result in such issues.

I might get rational, and think this:
- Rapid light potency changes;
- Rapid light spectrum changes;
- Rapid temperature changes;
- Different, unfiltered air.

If, say, you move them from one room to another, while maintaining all the things i've said above, there should be no issues (say indoor-indoor, same equip, same temp, and air is filtered for the whole house). 
I think that plants recon the enviroment they're growing in, and therefore if any change is done, they'll need to adapt multiple times INSTEAD of focusing on the grow itself.

I also think that a change in spectrum and light potency might indicate (for the plant) a change of season, as yes, the sun has the same output, but it's what different zones of the planet receive that makes up the climate and enviroment of that particular zone.

I'm sorry if i can't explain better, i wish i could insta-translate my italian ;)

Cheers!

1 person likes this

Moving pots could upset medium cause it to move

and that cant be good for roots and to many changes

isnt good either. 18.6c is a bit low bro look at light

meter.

Here we are again less is more, applies so many times

in the growroom.

Peace

1 person likes this

Recovery going well I think (Top right = M; bottom right = 3; Top left = 5; bottom left = 6):

DSCF3736.thumb.JPG.907d72e40339f3afe0133fe8a53b1ea4.JPG

5 & 6 are (relatively) motoring along and have stretched more than M & 3.  I wanted a bit of stretch compared to my last grow as these should grow short & bushy (heavy indica) and my last ones only got to ~60cm (apart from JW which is 90cm due to Miracle Grow I suspect), so I'd like to try to induce a bit of height early.

They're all still way behind my last grow (I topped DD & Nebula at day 13, the day before I switched them to 18/6), but I suspect they'll catch up in time. Today is day 27 from sprouting through the media for M.  6 was 29th (so day 16), with the others in the middle.

As an aside, I thought I knew what a Scrog was, until I read this: http://www.growweedeasy.com/scrog-tutorial

I can kinda see what @I'm Sal is doing with his weaving now (awesome btw).

If I did a Scrog, I think that would help my desire to move my plants around (ie, stop it @slimjim).  I shall give it some thought.

Happy Growing!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ShaggyGrower said:

I can kinda see what @I'm Sal is doing with his weaving now (awesome btw).

Decided against the usual SCROG for my grow this time @ShaggyGrower.

Simple but brutal LST only has resulted in 2 plants with no main head and about 3 good nodes (pairs) below...call that heavy handed but shit happens.

Many tops using LST (I can see between 25 and 11 tops on mine) so very similar to a SCROG just as you will see here http://www.growweedeasy.com/low-stress-training-lst

2 people like this

Hi @I'm Sal,

Give it a day or two and perhaps the excitement of me reading that SCRoG article will wear off and something new will have taken over. ;)

I'll build the frame anyway, as that'll at least keep my hands off my plants for a bit :) 

I'm thinking three node pairs this time as well.  IC had three pairs, the others have four. Some of the stems of the four-node plants are a bit week, and with three I would still have enough green to spread about (just four plants for me, five has been a bit trying so glad I'm only doing 4 this time). 

The same as one of @I'm Sal's WR, I also have one ("6") that has decided to start developing a set of 3 leaves on the fourth node

ThreeleafSide.thumb.jpg.095ba346a612a76d2fe256538c003220.jpg

ThreeleafTop.thumb.jpg.5348e8acadfc6c9769efda60e2000fc1.jpg

Notice leaf 1 has six petals.  Some lower ones have four.  This it's genetic as I think all of mine have at least one even numbered petals on a leaf.

Happy Growing!

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, g22 said:

@ShaggyGrower

Must be great to top with 3 head 

This plant has grow well since the h2o2 burn 

Yes, doing better, and after a 6 hour sleep this afternoon (their night), I noticed she has another 3 leaf/stem node growing, and perhaps even a third 3 leaf/stem node!

Below is this morning and on the right just now:

White_Rhino_6_three_leaf_stem.thumb.png.fa8cd24b3e5344eb4b857109941aba69.png

Happy Growing!

3 people like this

The plant that started the 3 nodes with me has continued to do so. Everything after the start of 3's has continued that way.

I think that particular 3 noded freak of mine now has over 25 heads on the last count!

It is a genes issue but a nice issue to have. 

1 person likes this

The WR's are back under the 300w LED.  

I'm comfortable with 5 & 6 (top right [tri-leaf/stem & bottom right respectively) being strong enough to take it. 

M & 3 (bottom left & top left respectively) not happy - something up with their media I think. I'm tempted to dig them up (chuckle, joking!).  Not sure whether to flush the fuck out of them, or leave them be and let them try to work it out themselves.

DSCF3757.thumb.JPG.75168f51d87f3f64014991da72abe954.JPG

Happy Growing!

1 person likes this

hi shaggy i would like to know if your leds are doing a lot of temperature in your tent and wahts is you temperatur in your room because my temp is to high in summer with hps i gone try cooltube but hesited with leds 

9 minutes ago, g22 said:

hi shaggy i would like to know if your leds are doing a lot of temperature in your tent and wahts is you temperatur in your room because my temp is to high in summer with hps i gone try cooltube but hesited with leds 

In the small tent, it was up to 31c just now with 60% humidity.  30c is the max I'd like it to be (~85f, as that is maximum photosynthesis rate), so I opened a little flap at the top so some hot air can escape (hot air rises).  Leaf temp is 33c (88f).

The ambient temp in the room the tents are in is 23c right now (down to ~19 at night).

My LED is defo producing less heat than the HPS, but it's only 300w (135w real) compared to 660w (700w real according to my measuring device), so difficult to compare.

I'm guessing, but I think in a larger tent with more air movement and extraction (which my small tent does not have), I think temps would be easier to control with the LED than the HPS.

Hello @ShaggyGrower,

Shame that you make mistak with bad solution. anyway now your plants looks good,

What your watering strategy? Becarefull, with coco, the medium love more hummidity that in soil medium , En maybe it is just on the pics but I see your medium is very dry,

Have a nice sunday dude

My watering strategy for 5 & 6 is very light  0.36ec/180ppm/6.0ph watering (aired tap water only) when below base weight to get to just above their respective base weights. 5 & 6 seems to be liking this approach.  5 & 6 will likely get re-potted into 11l pots tomorrow.  5 & 6 have a media containing more perlite than M & 3, and this seems to be working well, ie, liking it very dry, so I'll continue this in the 11l pots.

M & 3 I think are in dodgy media, ie, I think that the media I prepared has gone bad somehow.  The rest of that media, I've donated to my vegetable patch.  M & 3 have been below their base weights for a few days and have been given just a splash of 180ppm aired tap water. They are now below their base weights again (200g) and will get leached tonight (8pm, their lights on) with 4 x pot size 180ppm solution and then left to completely dry out again.

Happy Growing!