ShaggyGrower - White Rhino and BIO Feeds test

12 hours ago, ShaggyGrower said:

Hi @OG.Naj

Thanks the info.  You're quite right. There's lots in play.  My current grow [1] that's nearing completion had a good early start and I hope to repeat it in this grow log.

This early, 24 hrs a day is the same for them I guess as they're isolated in a tent with minimal environmental changes.

Happy Growing!

[1] - http://forums.strainhunters.com/topic/11066-first-know-what-im-growing-grow/

I saw your grow in the other section. We can already see the beautiful results. :good:

Interesting to give 24h of light. What benefit do you get from this lighting strategy can you explain?

Thanks for sharing you experience!

M has outgrown her jam jar over night and has been upgraded to the cranberry suite.

I've afraid , 2, 3 & 4 have come out of the ShaggyGrower germination phase a bit bruised and battered.  '2' needed help with a shell case, '3' & '4' had dodgy looking roots  due to too much water I think so uber amounts of tlc was required last night in surgery to get their shell cases off and help those small leaves get their first light and hopefully help out the shrivelled root.

DSCF3523.thumb.JPG.7700724aa59d7e0575b2d45a4403bb5f.JPG

DSCF3524.thumb.JPG.bfb2768d21fc3f6dd4ede7589a8b2a74.JPG

DSCF3525.thumb.JPG.80fa41109bf72a198e88a19380c3c0e9.JPG

Happy Growing!

• Like 5

Hi @OG.Naj "I saw your grow in the other section. We can already see the beautiful results. :good:

Interesting to give 24h of light. What benefit do you get from this lighting strategy can you explain?"

I do this so there is a consistent environment.  More changed = less consistency. Leaving the light on = no change, so hopefully more consistency.  With the light on consistently, the temperatures will be consistent as well.  So too for humidity.  Under this regime last time, they grew very tight stem internodes and I'd like to repeat that so am keeping the same blue-light-24-/-7-3-10cm-from-canopy strategy.

They'll get 24/7 for 14 days, then they go to 18-6.

Happy Growing!

• Like 1

12 hours after the photo collage above:

5a65b458aec09_Snap22_01_201809_51_34.thumb.png.9782dad0db2cd961daa2c075c3ea5ecc.png

M is doing great, and '3'  has it's stalk lengthening as well which I take to mean all is well underground with it's roots.

'2', which popped through the surface before '3' (hence why it's '2') must be struggling below.  It's growing very, very slowly (it's the one in the middle bottom above).  It's 2nd single leaf is starting to show so it's alive.  It reminds me of how IC started.  '4' has got greener but is the least happy.

I expect all of them to pull through as they're tenacious little plants.

Happy Growing!

• Like 4

I've reviewed '4', and I don't think she's going to make it (although while it has green, I still have hope), so I have popped another bean in to soak.

I am the worlds worst young plant handler.

This time, as soon as it's cracked, it gets planted.

DSCF3548.JPG

Edited by ShaggyGrower
added photo
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear one of your seed wont probably make it.
As it happened to me, that one popped the surface, but had rotten leaves.
Maybe germination rate is just a bit lower than we all hoped (maybe 85-90%). 

You're not bad at this, Shaggy. It's just the way of nature: only the strongest survives. 
Maybe it's best this way: if the weakest survived among the strongest, then we'd be smoking horrible weed!

Btw, that pic with the male and female is just pure genious. Hairy boobs for the win!
Peace!

• Like 1

Thanks @LedCherryBerry,

Yup, pure genius that pic - still making me laugh :)

"5" has sunk, so is now between the germination plates in a moist (not soggy) tissue.  Fingers crossed.  '4' seems a little greener.  Kinda want her to pull through, but kinda don't as I only want 4 plants in my tent this time as 5 is too crowded.

I'll take what life throws at me :)

Happy Growing!

• Like 1

Damn, that's a weird situation to be in.
If i were you, i would keep the 3, and not try to germinate another one, as it'll be younger, and hard to keep track of different phases at once.
But since you are germinating another one, i would wait for it to pop, and if it does, i'd keep '5' instead of '4'. If 5 pops and is healthy, then it's better to get rid of the weak. You just want your grow to be the most succesful, not to be a nursery. 

At least, that's what i would do. 
Last grow i did, though, completely went against what i've just said so yea: it's up to you buddy :D

Happy growing to you too :3

• Like 1

Hi @LedCherryBerry,

'5' is already part way through germination I think, ie, filled with water now, so I think it may be too late to stop her germinating without killing her.

It'll be a week behind, so not too much bother as long as I label each pot correctly I think.

If all 5 make it, I'll give one to my mate @THELOCKYONE who did not gain entry into the competition, so he can still grow a WR (his fav).

Happy Growing!

• Like 1

RIP "4".

"5" (see below) has germinated and I have popped her in "4"'s re-fluffed up coffin.  Not sure I like the look of that root.

"3" is not going to make it I don't think. So ...

"6" is a-floating.

Based on my past murderous nature with seeds, I should have known it was going to go tits-up and I'd kill 50% of them :censored:

Happy Growing!

DSCF3558.thumb.JPG.bc254baad05b2fe71afea21c2c442196.JPG

• Like 1

Hello @ShaggyGrower,

When i see that i can say that you have to much salt in your coco or not good bufferd coco (common with coco coir) ...

It is often recommended to rinse or buffered your coco before you use it . But it is only recommended for some brands of coco coir substrat. That is because it can that the salts, present naturally in the coco, is still present in your substrate... Some of company make good product with flushed and buffered coco but some other company make bad product...

I see that you use the cana line and it is a very good company! But with the "coco natural" substrate you use, you must rinse or buffered the substrate as Canna does with the "Coco proffesional plus". That's the only difference betwen the two products.

One are ready to use and one must be tamponed before use

I advise you to transplant them gently into a good substrate. Soil or coco coir but if you use coco be carefull. Make a good flush with special solution or use the coco professional plus.

Good luck

• Like 2

@I'm Salgood to say that on the spray or misting  technic for a better hummidity.

I could read here and there that it could damage because of a mirror effect. It must be said that apart from reading it, I have never crossed this problem since i grow. Even when I did it on my plants long time ago.

When you observe nature, after the rain come the sun but I never seen burnt leaves on the plants in their natural environment. The tricks is to do not overdo it, especially at the beginning of growth when the plants are young. A little greenhouse make a good job in this case. Better to spray. And you can easly make that with little plastic bottle, just cut the base and you have a green house for all your plants0

In any case, know that a cannabis plant is strong and resistant, there is always a way to solve and find solutions.

PS: To complement my previous post, I must also say that coconut does not work like soil. To put it simply, it does not contain nutrients. So you have to add from the beginning of the grow, in your case the BIO Grow in your coco.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OG.Naj said:

Hello @ShaggyGrower,

When i see that i can say that you have to much salt in your coco or not good bufferd coco (common with coco coir) ...

It is often recommended to rinse or buffered your coco before you use it . But it is only recommended for some brands of coco coir substrat. That is because it can that the salts, present naturally in the coco, is still present in your substrate... Some of company make good product with flushed and buffered coco but some other company make bad product...

I see that you use the cana line and it is a very good company! But with the "coco natural" substrate you use, you must rinse or buffered the substrate as Canna does with the "Coco proffesional plus". That's the only difference betwen the two products.

Hi @OG.Naj and @I'm Sal,

Thanks for the advices. 

It's a bummer Canna don't rinse and buffer their coco coir natural even though they say they do:

"CANNA Coco Natural is manufactured in the same way as CANNA Coco Professional Plus. "  [1]

"The buffering of CANNA Coco Natural is not as heavy as CANNA Coco Professional Plus. " [1]

"the coco flakes are rinsed and buffered." [1]

(sorry about the highlighting above, just copied & pasted from the canna uk site)

Anyhoo, I flushed 5l of it last night and left it to drain over night.  I was going to do an emergency evac last night, but I was too tired by the time I'd read your posts and figured I'd bugger them up even more.

I have some of the Pro version, so will put "6" in that ("2"' is defo RIP as well as "4").  I'm still deliberating whether to even touch M and 3 as apart from that first leaf, the next one seems good and even the first leaf seems a little better this morning.

OG.Naj: "PS: To complement my previous post, I must also say that coconut does not work like soil. To put it simply, it does not contain nutrients. So you have to add from the beginning of the grow, in your case the BIO Grow in your coco."

That light brown stuff on the soil in the photo is Bio Grow; a little sprinkled on the surface so when misting it starts leaching down.  Additionally, I did prep that media detailed in the 9th January post: "I've made up 6l of Greenhouse Feeding Enhancer.  Ph'd the 54ppm run off down to 4.3 then added the Enhancer. Then added a heaped teaspoon of molasses. Added a decent dose of Hydrogen Peroxide. Mixed for 10 mins.  This all brought the ph up to 6.25 and 250ppm. "

Happy Growing!

[1] - http://www.canna-uk.com/coco_natural

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slimjim said:

Are you still using them jars?

Reason i ask they have no vent hole,

this could be your problem No Fresh Air.

Peace

Jar's have gone @slimjim.  The advice on them  not being  able to breath properly tickled an understanding, plus a think on additional air flow related items (fan action for stem thickness, etc). Additionally I put a probe in a glasshouse/jar and it was WAY too hot, hence why I double the distance of the CFL (15-20cm away now).

Happy Growing!

OK, transplanted "5" into a new pot of Canna Pro (60%) & Perlite (40%). She was not looking good when I dug her up:

DSCF3563.thumb.JPG.a24de0930790536ac00a047bb24d8ab2.JPG

I felt the need to take that shell casing off:

DSCF3564.thumb.JPG.9adb6b08333a8e4d1ea4685e01905fda.JPG

I also place a just-looking-out-of-its-shell "6" into a pot with the same mixture, 1cm below surface with a little press down and watered a little from above.

I've mixed in a half portion of BioGrow into the above 60%/40% mixture.

Fingers crossed for some Happy Growing!

DSCF3562.JPG

• Like 3