STRAIN HUNTERS LIVE THREAD! - JAMAICA

franco

@ CannCollector: LB-Cali (or how should we call it?) might have some LB genetics, but it's visibly an INDICA or MOSTLY INDICA strain. It is NOT the original LB from Jamaica man, for sure. But it might well be a great strain.... please open a thread about it in the appropriate section of the forum.

@ Admin: thanks for the vid, great spacey editing bro. When I am back in the Dam we'll edit some GoPro stuff...;-)

@ all followers: THANK YOU!!!! It's really cool to be part of this. I feel privileged, and honored, to put my work and my energy at the service of the cannabis plant. We are creating a powerful platform, right here right now. Do not underestimate what we are doing. Ten, twenty, fifty years from now they will look at these very same pages and talk about us as the precursors of a global movement for cannabis consciousness. JAH RASTAFARI!

• Like 2

Love it Man as usual awesome!! That's look like a Hell of a party.

And About the LB Have you thought about asking some of the marley's if they hadn't kept any traces of their fathers favorites strain?? i figure it could be possible :)

And i love the pics in the tree house, you look so awayyyyy :D

Have a great end of expedition MentorS!!

Franco come dici sempre anche tu: Respect !!!!! Meno male che ci siete voi a portare avanti questo settore....tra l'altro spero che quando farete la Landrace Seed Bank avrai anche qualche riguardo per l'Italia...ahahahahah....potreste fare il prossimo viaggio in calabria!!!!ahahahaha

Buon proseguimento per questi ultimi giorni in terra jamaicana, buona caccia e buon divertimento!!!!

Thank you Franco for a fun week following your posts from Jamaica. I am retired now and would love to escape the Canadian winter for a couple of weeks in Jamaica. Would you or anyone who has been there have any advice for a nice layed back place to stay were there would be a good selection of herb at a fair price. I also would like to make charas should I bring bubble bags or dry sift screens,any advice? Thanks again Strain Hunters.

Boom Shankar

Man you claim that physical characteristic can't help identify a plant, and argue that yours is a LB because of her smell (which is due to terpenes, so due to a physical characteristic ) Why don't you trust mans, that live for the plant, work with the plant, and even creat the plants, i think they know far enough about genetic to identify a plant ^^

No offense man, but as it has been said your plant might a little LB in her somewhere but it isn't THE lb, which they are loking for ;)

So let's just enjoy the live thread and argue on another post if you want it, we'd be happy to share our point of view ;)

Leaf size is not a good indicator of a plants gentic ancestry. A plants physical characteristics vary from strain to strain and pheno to pheno. The shape of the leaves, number of blades, height, smell, taste, flowering times, color, etc...all of these things are variable , especially in landraces of cannabis ( which you claim the LB is)

even in the stablized strains you will find some variations, they have codes locked in them that show up in some specimens but not in others...the Exodus Cheese for example

and I think it was in the Himalyan expedition where Franco and Arjan show a sativa with wide leaves and an Indica with thin leaves, remember that?

Also, plants grow differently when they are exposed to sunlight (outdoor growing). Most strains you would not even recognize, thats how different,. The only giveaway being a unique smell or other trait

the LB, however, has a very VERY unique smell and taste, these things are key to identifying the presence of this strain THATS WHY IT WAS BOB'S FAVORITE! . Without experiencing it for yourselves you will not understand what Im saying. If I were hunting for the LB I would ignore the height and the leaves and I would focus on the buds.

you don't understand cannabis genetics bro, what im saying is that leaf shape/size has no effect on a strains terpine profile and it cant be used to determine the amount of sativa or indica in a cannabis plant People don't breed strains according to what leaves look like as far as I know. A strain can be created by selecting for different attributes that are inherited from the parents. Terpine profile is one of those attributes that people breed for by making selections. additionally I don't think landrace cannabis can be as tasty as the LB is. i am going to start a new thread showcasing the LB and some of my other plants, several of them are a hybrid I created; the super lemon haze (my female haze pheno) crossed to a male Jack the Ripper (TGA)

hopefully we will be able to clear the air on the whole subject of cannabis genetics and the lambsbreads ancestry, i think this will be interesting

I just want to reiterate what a difference sunlight makes (especially on sativas and sativa dom. plants), this will be showcased in due time...I thought that the Sour Cream (DNA) was indica dominant until last summer when we grew her outdoors

the SLH x Deep Chunk (one of my creations) is another good example of the difference that the sun can make and unpredictability in the way a pair of cannabis plants pass on their traits

now consider the flowering time of tga's jack the ripper it's only 8 weeks, it's a good example what can be accomplished through selective breeding

if the LB is a hybrid, which we all agree she is, then she could look like anything...

It's 1:30 am, in a few hours we have to leave Jamaica and go back to Europe. I can't sleep, it's hot and sticky tonight. Roll another spliff man…. and answer some questions on the thread!

@ CannCollector:

I already asked, please open a separate thread for this.

Final note on this subject:
Man, I have spent months traveling through Jamaica (scouting trips and holidays from 1994 to today) and I have a good knowledge of the local territory and cannabis scene. The original LB is not there anymore, gone since the 1980s, mixed with several other foreign genetics imported to Jamaica.
You also say that the LB is a hybrid. It is not.
The real LB is NOT a hybrid, it is a LANDRACE. What you have there is a hybrid.
What you have there might have some of the genetics of the LB in it, but it's not the original for sure. Not if it has those leaves, that internode, and if it flowers in 8 or 9 weeks.
Many times it happens that a plant reacts different when taken outdoors (like the Sour Cream you mention), but these are phenotypical differentiations, not genotypical differentiations. The difference between genotype and phenotype plays a key-role here.
If you create a hybrid, it is not a landrace anymore.
In the case of the SLH x Deep Chunk, it is not the sunlight that passes on traits. If you work with a large number of individuals (above 10000) you will see that selection of traits is possible in all environments, and it only depends on the size of the population (statistical validity principle, genetical representation of a population).
Remember few basics:
1) the leaf size and shape is one of the factors to determine the amount of sativa or indica in a strain. It might vary (indoors-outdoors-sunlight-feeding) but overall it is a good indicator.
2) sunlight makes a big difference on the expression of traits, but not to the point it can change a sativa-dominant landrace into a indica-dominant hybrid.
3) what can be accomplished through selective breeding is just preserving a gene-pool.
If you cross, you make a hybrid. The landrace is gone, the gene-pool is now mixed. It takes a few years for a hybridized landrace to revert back to its original landrace traits, and it can only happen in the natural environment where the landrace comes from in the first place.
In St.Vincent, for example, when a grower plants a few high-grade imported seeds in his landrace field he gets a landrace hybrid. If no other high-grade seeds are planted in the area, after 3-4 years there is no trace left of the change of genetics, the original landrace takes over again. Otherwise, to keep the hybridization process going, new high-grade seeds must be introduced every few years.
In conclusion bro, stop hijacking my LIVE thread to talk about breeding please.
I am sure you have some cool hybrids to show us, so please open new threads in the appropriate section and let the show begin… ;-)

@ bozoph:

man, I have never seen a tree-house like that before. The Field Marshal built it all by himself, took him over a year. Jamaicans can be resourceful people bro… respect!

@ kfergy:

Plenty of laid-back places in Jamaica (actually there's no other type of place LOL).
I suggest Negril (Blue Cave Castle hotel is my favorite) or Port Antonio (Frenchman's Cove is a great place to stay).
Depends on your budget as well. Most nice places charge 80-100 US$ per night, but cheaper options are possible.
Herb is illegal, but there is plenty around.
Just use common sense and don't carry a lot on you.
If you carry weed on you when traveling through the island keep a few hundred US$ ready for a quick bribe, just in case… roadblocks are common, and cops look for weed to make a quick buck…;-)

@ G_Starr:

the lighter-color gum is actually butane-extraction (honey) from some orange Hill high grade skunk. Amazing, strong, tasty…. but honestly I prefer to smoke the real handmade gum. ;-)

@ Dust:

we contacted the Marleys before this trip, but most of the family is in the US or touring the world at the moment. When some of them will come to Amsterdam we will ask if they know of any LB left around. Honestly, I doubt it.
My wild guess? The Most Wanted is as close as it gan get these days…. ;-)
But who knows….

alright, I am gonna try to get some sleep now.

In a few hours I will post the last day's report, and MisterX pics!

Jah Bless

GHS Tour 2011 :D Have trouly loved every word and picture you guys have shared! History in the making. Cant wait to se the dvd. Any release date set yet Franco?
"Butane gum" is powerful stuff, never tried the hand made gum though... someday ;)
Is there going to be a competition for this expedition? I did screw up the time limit for sending in my answers on the last one :(
Thanks again for a great ride, did almost feel like i was there with you, with you`re great writing and Mr X`s great pictures.

MUCH RESPECT to the work you guys are doing! Thanks

*learner*

DAY 8

today it's our last full day in Jamaica. I wake up and pack my stuff, then roll a nice tasty spliff with some grabba (organic tobacco) and some organic weed from the mountains we visited a couple of days back.

We load the cars and go to check out from our hotel. The staff has been good to us, and we leave a nice tip (in cash and hash….).

We take the costal road to the east, in a bright sunny morning, and we drive up to Blacka's house to pick him up. He jumps in the car, and we're off again. Destination: Clarendon, a good four hours away. We have appointment with a friend of Blacka at a Nyabinghy Rastafari Camp, one of the largest on the island.

The drive is smooth and fast, all the way to Kingston, and up inland again towards the center of the island. We reach the Rasta camp around lunchtime, but our contact is nowhere to be found. We are greeted by the elders, who Arjan and I already met a couple of months back. They all get a bit nervous when they see our film-crew and their cameras, but we are welcome to join the temple anyway. We send a kid to get some weed to offer to the community (a normal procedure in these cases) and we sit for a chat and a smoke. In the moment we get under the roof of the temple, a rainstorm hits. It pours from the sky, loud against the tin-roof. It's a mystic moment.

We taste the local chalice, and we get really high again. The elders argue weather it is allowed for us to film, and the discussion goes on and on for a couple of hours. In between, we smoke and listen to the chanting and the prayers, amazed by the people, the sounds, the colors. Not many white guys have been around here before, it's truly special to be here and to be welcomed.

By the time we have to drive off to reach Montego Bay by nighttime the elders are still arguing, so we just greet everyone and leave. Blacka decides to take a bus back home from here, so we greet him and thank him. What a character…. you'll see in the documentary!

The drive takes us through amazing mountains and scenery, we pass by Accompong, one of the oldest villages in Jamaica, founded by slaves escaping the plantations. Then we stop at a famous jerk-chicken place for a bite and a cold drink, but the pit-stop is quick. During the drive Simon and Taleban roll large blunts and share them with me, so by the time we arrive in Montego Bay we are all really stoned, and tired from the long day on the road.

We drive directly to a small bungalow-hotel on the beach, near Falmouth, where we know we have a safe and private place to spend our last night on the island. The film-crew has to backup their stuff and prepare the hard-disks for the trip back, and there are lots of things to take care of before we fly tomorrow.

I had a great expedition. I want to thank Arjan, Simon, MisterX, the film-crew (Stefano, Albero, Gianni) and our local guys (Boboshanti, Nampo, Bigga, Taleban) and everyone that helped us complete this mission.

It was a blast!

We retrieved several genetics (The Most Wanted, Jamaican Ice Skunk, and several Orange Hill crosses), and we had a great time.

Jamaica is one of the nicest places I have ever been in my life, and I will be back again. For sure.

Jah Bless!

20111211120409.jpg
20111211120410.jpg
20111211120411.jpg
20111211120412.jpg20111211120413.jpg
20111211120414.jpg
20111211120415.jpg
20111211120416.jpg
20111211120416_0.jpg
20111211120418.jpg
20111211120418_0.jpg
20111211120419.jpg