STRAIN HUNTERS LIVE THREAD! - JAMAICA

franco

i have heard of the commercializm of bobs grave and would never go.on the other hand i an so glad u guys went to peter tosh's grave. to me he is just as important to the roots of reggea. there would be no bob marley without peter tosh , bunny wailer and most of all lee perry.

When it comes to Cannabis genetics you can't trust anyone more than Arjan and Franco.

Great report Franco, very enjoyable read. Considering all the long days, to still make time to write such a detailed update.... thanks so much bro.

You guys always make great discoveries.. Jamaican Charras WOW.. I would love some. I'm a very big Bob fan...thanks for the honesty. Obviously tourism is crucial to the Caribbean economy.

Franco what was that brown leaf in the spliff, with the charra or was it gum in the spliff? 2 questions kinda

Always great work by Mister X..... and everyone there making it happen.

Jah Guide

During the late 60's and early 70's we were spoilt in Montreal having a plentiful supply of charas from Afghanistan,Pakistan,India,Nepal and Lebanon. One day in 1971 a friend returned from Jamaica with a few joints and after a bunch of us smoked them we were blown away with the high and it wasn't until 2 years later when lots of Cambodian appeared on the scene did we smoke any weed that approached the Jamaican. In 1974 I was on the Columbian Island of San. Andres and there was lots of very cheap gold and red buds and I think that was the best Columbian weed I ever smoked. Thanks Strain Hunters for all you guys do and can't wait till next update.

Hey Franco. Those islands are fantastic, do they never have to worry about over watering ? Probably a silly question just curious.

Talking of genetics and manipulation I saw a great program on Tv all about genetic manipulation and how they have breed a corn plant in the driest areas of Africa that is very drought resistant and now saving many lives, also they showed a rice crop in Asia that can effectively in plant terms hold its breath for 2 weeks underwater to stay alive during floods.... Again feeding many poverty striken lives..

I know in Europe we are very scared and manipulated by the media about genetic manipulation of plants..... Every body knows the killer tomatoe is going to get us.

So my question is has anybody started this type of thing with cannabis ?

Also has anybody tried grafting cannabis as they do with grape vines ? I mean if you have an already grown root structure and graft on to it surely that would speed up cycle times ? Also you could then separate the two ... Ie the plant structure and it's grow cycle and the root structure, so you could keep both in perfect condition all the time..

Just a thought, and also posting here I hope Franco will see this and answer :) Bit deep but ... Hey I'm stoned.....lol...

D

DAY 5

The day begins with a good breakfast and a few strong joints. We are still smoking the buds from Orange Hill (the best we found up to now in Jamaica). We also have some of The Most Wanted, tasty stuff, and really high.

After feeding our bodies and souls we pack the cars and drive back to Nine Miles, where we meet the organic grower from yesterday.

From his house we drive on, into the mountains and into the bush.

The dirt road gets very steep, and narrow. It does not take long before we have to leave the 4x4s and continue on foot. We walk for about a n hour, until we reach the field, hidden between high grass and almost invisible to the eye from a few hundreds meters away. The plants are very sativa, local landrace (it looks a bit like the Santa Marta we found on St.Vincent few weeks ago, but the smell is frutier, sweeter). We are told this was one of the first areas of Jamaica where cannabis was cultivated, by slaves that escaped the plantations and came here to hide, three hundred years ago.

After shooting a few scenes for the documentary we walk to a shack built near the field, and we sit for some food and a smoke. The growers prepare some ganja-tea for us, using leaves and buds. It's a medicinal tea that the local people use for centuries. It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, and it makes you high as a kite. Lovely.

We are very impressed by this crew, they are very committed to the Rastafari cause, and true to their beliefs. It's rare to find people like them these days.

When we are rested we walk back to the cars, then we drive down to drop off the local crew. We want to reach Port Antonio tonight, so we cannot waste time.

The road is not too bad but there are lots of trucks slowing us down. When we get hungry we stop for some jerk-chicken and a spliff on the side of the road.

We arrive in Port Antonio at sunset, tired from the long, twisty drive. We check into a hotel where Arjan and myself already stayed during our scouting trip, then we go for dinner at a Pizza place in town.

After dinner, and a few drinks and a few joints, it's time to sleep. Tomorrow we will go look for Blacka. He is a grower I met 17 years ago for the first time, and found again two months ago during the scouting trip. He hasn't got plants at the moment, but he will guide us to a very spacial place...

here's the pics, MisterX has surpassed himself again... ;-)

Attached files j601.jpg j602.jpg j603.jpg j604.jpg j605.jpg j606.jpg j607.jpg j608.jpg j609.jpg j610.jpg j611.jpg j612.jpg j613.jpg j614.jpg j615.jpg j616.jpg j617.jpg j618.jpg j619.jpg j620.jpg j621.jpg j622.jpg j623.jpg j624.jpg j625.jpg j626.jpg j627.jpg j628.jpg j629.jpg j630.jpg j631.jpg j632.jpg j633.jpg j634.jpg j635.jpg j636.jpg j637.jpg j638.jpg j639.jpg j640.jpg j641.jpg j642.jpg j643.jpg j644.jpg j645.jpg j646.jpg j647.jpg j648.jpg j649.jpg j650.jpg j651.jpg j652.jpg j653.jpg j654.jpg j655.jpg j656.jpg j657.jpg j658.jpg j659.jpg j660.jpg j661.jpg j662.jpg j663.jpg j664.jpg j665.jpg j666.jpg j667.jpg

loving the footage thats some really real jamaica haha that man made island was an amazing example of how original and resourceful jamaican growers really are.

and the grabba leaf rolled in the joint haha real rasta smoking! the gum breathing/inhaling aswell! wonderfull franco can't thank you enough an amazing read !!

I've seen grafted plants.You can have more then one strain on the same trunk. Also you could graft on to roots that do better in wet or dry like indica on a sativa stems or anything you want.Wonderful plants, and it will only cross's bred with hopps.... wierd fact to me.

hmmm, ok i will call it the LB. this strain finishes after 8-9 weeks if i remember correctly, in california this is the clone only strain that is widely recognized as the Jamaican Lambsbread (Bob's favorite), I don't know of any other... I heard a rumor of a sister or parent strain of the lambsbread that supposedly goes by the name "Kingsbread" but i dont know if there is any truth to its existence. It is supposedly even better than the Lambsbread cut that we have in California. If the Lambsbread were a true landrace I think it would be easier to find, it would be sprouting up everywhere...on the other hand I know she is a sensitive breed but that makes it harder to believe that she created herself. If you find a representation close to the true bread flowering (or dried bud) than you and I both know it will be obvious. Until then i dont know of a closer thing than what I am working with. If you guys don't find any thing I will be disapointed but I know my cut is priceless already

I am going to start a new thread for my LB project , I am also running the Jamaican Dream from Eva Seeds and Exodus Cheese from Greenhouse right now, plus others

one more thing, my understanding is that cannabis was introduced to Jamaica by the slaves that were brought there from Africa, which means that the Jamaican landraces are actually African in origin. I thought that Jamaica didn't have any indigenous landraces

I suspect that the sativa components that created the lambsbread might even be African in origin, but im guessing here, so much mystery about that strain...even if the early slaves didn't introduce the first cannabis to Jamaica (which I think there is proof of) they must have brought some of their strains over..that is the history i have learned about anyway. That would also explain how landraces ended up on an island in the first place.

beautiful pictures, it must be nice

respect