3rd Mega Contest - Sweet Valley Kush - UK Indoor - Completed

gasmeter

Its time to get my indoor journal going for the 3rd Mega Contest grow of 4 Sweet Valley Kush.

Here is the info about the grow kit and nutrients I will be using.

Tent

Mars Hydro 70cm X 70cm X 160cm

Grow Light

Mars II 400 LED

The grow light is the equivalent to a 250W HPS.

Strain

4 X Sweet Valley Kush = Green House Seeds

Growing Medium

BioBizz All Mix

Pots

Root Pouch fibre pots 12 litre

Plant Feed

Green House powder feeding products both bio and mineral nutrients and additives.

19may-2019-ghsc-bio-grow.jpg19may-2019-ghsc-bio-bloom.jpg19may-2019-ghsc-bio-enhancer.jpg

BioGrow

NPK: 7-2-4
BioGrow is an all-in-one bio fertilizer in powder form, formulated specifically for the vegetative growth of all plants.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/bio-grow-en.html

BioBloom

NPK 4-9-9
BioBloom is an all-in-one bio fertilizer in powder form, formulated  specifically for the flowering stage of all plants.
All essential nutrients are provided by the natural minerals and organic raw  materials.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/bio-bloom.html

Enhancer

Humic Acids & Seaweed Extract

BioEnhancer is a blend of humic acids, seaweed extract,  
Trichoderma harzianum strains and Bacillus subtilis.
It increases the vitality of the plant, enhances the uptake of nutrients and improves the quality of the soil.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/enhancer.html

19may-2019-ghsc-mineral-grow.jpg19may-2019-ghsc-mineral-bloom.jpg19may-2019-ghsc-mineral-booster.jpg

Grow

N-P-K-Mg: 24-6-12(1.2)

Designed specifically for the vegetative growth stage of all plants.
Its formula provides optimum development throughout the growth-stage to obtain greener, stronger and more resistant plants.
Grow faster, greener and more vigorous than ever.
Ideal for the production of cuttings. The easy assimilation of nutrients and the high Nitrogen content provides plants with a more robust and branched structure.
The great thickness of the leaves accumulates more reserves, stimulating rapid rooting of cuttings.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/grow-bag.html

Short Flowering

N-P-K-Mg: 16 - 6 - 26 (2)

Designed specifically for the growth and flowering stages of those plant varieties with a short flowering time, 8 weeks or less.
Its formula provides optimum development throughout the growth-stage to obtain greener, stronger and more resistant plants.
Without adding other components throughout the cycle, nutrients are provided in the proper ratio for easy absorption, perfect for early flowering plants.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/short-flowering-bag.html

Booster

0 - 30 - 27 PK+

This additive is especially formulated to provide the right amounts of Phosphorus,
Potassium, Magnesium and micronutrients to increase flower and fruit production.

https://shop.greenhousefeeding.com/booster-en.html

This afternoon I put 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans into a little glass of water to soak and get the ball rolling indoors.

19may-2019-svk-beans-soaking-packaging.jpg

Beans soaking top view

19may-svk-beans-soaking-top-view.jpg

More updates to follow, happy growing...

Gasmeter

• Like 5

All 4 of the Sweet Valley Kush beans were still floating on the surface of the water this morning when I checked them at 06.00am when I got up.

By 12.00pm 3 of the beans had sunk and 1 was floatng just below the surface of the water.

So I placed all 4 beans on a piece of damp kitchen roll on a little dish and put them in a drawer in the dark.

Here are a couple of images I took.

Sweet Valley Kush beans sunk 1 just under the water surface.

20may-2019-svk-beans-sunk.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush beans on damp kitchen roll.

20may-2019-svk-beans-damp-kitchen-roll.jpg

Hopefully they will get busy tonight and crack open those shell casings and push out tap roots.

Happy growing...

• Like 4

When I checked one the 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans first thing this morning at 06.00am none of them had split their shell cases, so I made sure the kitchen roll was nice and damp and put them back into the drawer in the dark.

I checked on the beans at about 12.00pm and there was no change I made sure the kitchen roll was nice and damp.

When I checked on the tonight about 6.30pm 3 of the beans have germinated and split their shell casings and started to push out a tap root.

21may-2019-3-svk-beans-germinated.jpg

Hopefully number 4 bean will pop over night.

Happy growing...

• Like 5

This morning when I got up at 06.00am after my alarm woke me I checked the 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans and the last of the 4 beans has split its seed casing and germinated.

The kitchen roll was a bit dry so I dripped a bit of water onto it to keep it damp and took some photos and then put them back in the drawer in the dark to carry on doing their thing.

22may-2019-svk-beans-germinated.jpg

I will let the tap roots grow a bit longer and then put them into RootIt sponge plugs tomorrow.

• Like 5

When I checked the 4 Sweet Valley Kush beans their tap roots were long enough to put them into RootIt sponge plugs.

Here are some images I took this morning.

Sweet Valley Kush germinated seeds.

23may-2019-svk-beans-germinated.jpg

Germinated seeds in Root It sponge plugs.

23may-2019-svk-beans-in-root-plugs.jpg

Seedlings in Root It sponge plugs in grow tent under LED.

23may-2019-svk-beans-in-tent.jpg

I cut the Root It sponge plugs down one side so I can easily place the germinated seed into the sponge so that the sponge gently grips the tap root.

Now it is just a case of keeping the sponges damp and waiting for them to break ground.

Happy growing...

• Like 2

When the LED went off last night I put the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings onto the window ledge for the night.

This morning when I got up and checked on them 2 had push up out of the sponge plug one had already lost its shell casing and the other still has its little helmet on, the other two were moving towards to top of the holes in the sponge plugs.

Sweet Valley Kush in grow tent under LED at lunch time.

24may-2019-svk-in-tent-lunch-time.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush this evening.

24may-2019-svk-evening.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush #1

24may-2019-svk-000.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush #2

24may-2019-svk-001.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush #3

24may-2019-svk-002.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush #4

24may-2019-svk-003.jpg

Hopefully by morning the other 2 Sweet Valley Kush will have push above the hole in the sponge plug.

• Like 3

This morning when I checked on the beans they had all pushed above the sponge plugs.

25may-2019-svk-all-above-plugs.jpg

They have spent all day in the grow tent under the LED and since the LED went off at 6.30pm they have been on the window ledge.

As soon as the LD come on again in the morning I will pop them back into the tent.

Happy growing...

• Like 4

When I checked the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings this morning three had cast their seed shells, I gave them some ater and eased the last shell casing off the seedlings cotyledons.

One of the seedlings has really grown long and its stem which has bent and the stem is very thin at the bend and it is laid on the sponge.

When I gave them some water to keep their sponges damp it fell over onto its side, but after a while it would recover and stand back up again.

So this morning I opened the sponge, the tap root was poking out of the bottom of the sponge plug, but I was able to free it and move it down so the part of the stem that was thin where it was bent is now within the sponge plug being supported by the sponge.

26may-2019-svk-wonky-stem.jpg

A little bit of the bottom of the tap root fell off, but when I checked on them a couple of hours later it was standing upright.

Hopefully it will survive and I won't have to pop another bean to replace it.

Happy growing...

• Like 3

The seedling with the bend in the stem survived the night and seems to be thriving.

At the moment I am giving them all just plain tap water that has been standing for 24 hours to keep the sponge plugs damp.

As soon as the LED goes off at 6.30pm I move them on to the window ledge for the evening and in the morning as soon as the LED comes on again I move them back into the grow tent under the LED for the new day ahead.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

27may-2019-svk-seedlings.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

27may-2019-svk-seedlings-top-view.jpg

Seedling with wonky stem close up.

27may-2019-svk-seedling-close-up.jpg

It looks like the seedling with the wonky stem will survive which will save having to pop another bean.

• Like 4

Time for a quick update, all of the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings are doing great.

The seedling with the bend in the bottom of its stem is still alive and making progress with the other 3 seedlings.

At the moment they are on the window ledge in the last light of the day until the LED comes on in the morning and they go back into the tent.

Happy growing...

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words @OG.Naj

All 4 of the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings are growing well and the seedling with the bend at the bottom of its stem is OK.

They all have lots of little roots poking out of the sponge plugs, so tonight I planted them in BioBizz AllMix in 4 inch plastic pots.

Once the last Sweet Mango is finished next week and I harvest her I can then put them all into the 12ltr root pouches.

Having them in the 4 inch plastic pots will make it easier to repot them.

Here are some photos I took.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in the sponge plugs.

31may-2019-svk-seedlings-insponge-plugs.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings little roots

31may-2019-svk-seedlings-roots.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings roots close up.

31may-2019-svk-seedlings-roots-close-up.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in 4 inch pots.

31may-2019-svk-seedlings-in-4inch-pots.jpg

After putting them into the 4 inch pots I gave each seedling about 40ml of water.

They are now sat on the window ledge until getting the last daylight, they will go back into the tent in the morning.

I will let them settle into these pots for a week and start using up the nutrients in the dirt.

Happy growing...

• Like 5

All 4 Sweet Valley Kush seem to be OK in their temporary plastic pots.

As soon as the LED came on this morning I popped them back into the tent and they all look great.

I have reset the timer for the LED from 12/12 to 18/6 so I don't have to move them they can back in the light from the LED.

The dirt in the pots is still damp I will wait and let it dry out more before I give them some water again.

Happy growing... :pleasantry:

• Like 1

The Sweet Valley Kush seedlings seem to be enjoying their new pots and having more time under the LED.

The dirt in their pots  was dry tonight so I gave each seedling about 40ml of tap water.

Here are a couple of images of the seedlings.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings in grow tent under LED.

02june-2019-svk-seedlings-under-led.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings out of tent (flash).

02june-2019-svk-seedlings-normal-light-.jpg

I have been struggling to keep the temperature in the tent consistent today it has been 30C and at one point it was 31C

So I have had the window wide open and the door of the tent wide open as well and that lowered the temperature to 28C

They will have the tent to themselves before the end of the week and then next weekend I can put them into the root pouches.

I am thinking I will give them a week in the root pouches to use some of the nutes in the fresh dirt before I feed them.

Two will get bio feed and two will get mineral feed, it is going to be interesting to compare them as they grow.

I need to make four new little markers like I have for the outdoor grow to identify the plants and type of feed they get.

Updates to follow, happy growing...

• Like 4

Time for a progress update.

The 4 Sweet Valley Kush seedlings are enjoying the dirt in their new pots and they are all growing nicely.

Now that I have harvested the last of the 4 Sweet Mango autos the Sweet Valley Kush seedlings have the tent to themselves.

Here are some images I took last night.

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings.

07june-2019-svk-seedlings.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings side view.

07june-2019-svk-seedlings-side-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedlings top view.

07june-2019-svk-seedlings-top-view.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush seedling with bend at bottom of stalk.

07june-2019-svk-seedling-wonky-stalk.jpg

The bend in the stalk of the seedling in the last image is slowly getting straighter by the day now as it grows and toughens up.

Over the week end I will repot them all into the 12 litre root pouches and I will also feed them.

Happy growing...

• Like 3

Hi @Jose.gh thanks for the kind words :D

It was seeing you start 4 photoperiod plants in a similar size tent last summer that inspired me to have a go myself.

Hopefully if I don't FIM them and let them become little Crismus trees they wont fill the tent and run out of space.

• Like 1

Hi @gasmeter,

I forgot to tell you the other time that you could put some soil or coconut in the hole of your "Root it". This just after putting the seed to cover it. The hull of the seed will be removed more easily, the first root will support better and I think that your seeds will like this little more... ;-)

Have a nice week end dude!

Thanks for the tip about adding a bit of medium to the hole in the Root It sponge plugs @OG.Naj

@g22  yes I will bury the stems more when I repot them all to help keep them short and as you say they will make more roots.

I will be repotting the seedlings tomorrow @g22 I gave them about 60ml of water last night and the dirt is still damp, it will be dry again tomorrow, so I will repot them into the 12ltr root pouches and I will also give 2 of them BioGrow for 4 weeks and water it into the dirt and I will give the other 2 seedlings some of the mineral grow feed.

• Like 2

Its progress update time.

Yesterday evening the dirt in the pots of all the Sweet Valley Kush was dry and they were ready for a drink.

So I took the opportunity to put the seedlings into the 12 litre root pouches and give them all their first feed.

I made markers for the plants 2 on a bio diet svk-b#1 and svk-b#2 and the other 2 are on a mineral diet svk-m#1 and svk-m#2

The root pouches are 12 litre so I gave 2 plants 18g (4 weeks worth) each of BioGrow which I mixed into the soil then I gave them both 500ml of water to water the nutrients into the dirt.

Then I mixed 0.6g of the mineral Grow feed with 1 litre of water and then I gave other other 2 plants 500ml each of the solution.

Then I put them back in the tent for the night.

Here are some images I took during the process.

Fresh root pouches ready to go.

10june-2019-fresh-root-pouches.jpg

All root pouches filled with BioBiz AllMix ready to go.

10june-2019-root-pouches-prepared.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush plants and root pouches.

10june-2019-root-pouches-and-svk.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush plant roots close up (higher resolution image).

10june-2019-svk-roots-close-up.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush plant in hole in dirt.

10june-2019-svk-in-root-pouch.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush planted in the root pouch.

10june-2019-svk-planted.jpg

Weighing out 18g of GHS BioGrow powder feed.

10june-2019-ghs-bio-feed.jpg

GHS BioGrow spread on the dirt in the root pouches.

10june-2019-ghs-bio-feed-on-dirt.jpg

GHS BioGrow mixed into the dirt in the root pouches.

10june-2019-ghs-bio-feed-mixed-into-dirt.jpg

All the Sweet Valley Kush plants back in the grow tent fed and watered.

10june-2019-svk-in-grow-tent.jpg

This morning when the light came on a 6.30am when I checked on the plants they all look OK and seem to be happy.

I will keep a close eye on them over the next few days.

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in performance with the bio and mineral feeds, with the mineral feed I am going to alternate watering and feeding, I checked the powder feed info and it doesn't say if you should feed every time you water or alternate watering and feeding.

I will be cautious and do what I would do normally and that is water next then water and feed, what do you guys advise?

Happy growing...

• Like 3

Time for a quick update on the 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants.

The dirt in the root pouches was nice and dry so I gave each plant 500ml of tap water.

Next time the dirt in their pouches is dry I will give SVK-M#1 and SVK-M#2 another feed of the mineral grow feed.

Hopefully the dirt in the root pouches will be dry at the weekend.

I have been keeping an eye on the plants for any sign of nute burn and they all seem to be doing OK and enjoying the powder feed.

I will post some images at the weekend.

Happy growing...

Time for a progress update on the 4 Sweet Valley Kush plants.

The dirt in their root pouches was nice and dry tonight so I gave SVK-B#1 and SVK-B#2 500ml of water and I mixed 0.5g of grow powder feed with a litre of water and then I gave SVK-M#1 and SVK-M#2 500ml of the feed and water, next time their dirt is dry they just get water no feed.

Here are some images I took tonight.

Sweet Valley Kush in grow tent under LED.

15june-2019-svk-in-tent.jpg

Thermometer in grow tent temperature 26C humidity 51%

15june-2019-svk-temperature-in-tent.jpg

SVK-B#1 foliage.

15june-2019-svk-b1-foliage.jpg

SVK-B#2 foliage.

15june-2019-svk-b2-foliage.jpg

SVK-M#1 foliage.

15june-2019-svk-m1-foliage.jpg

SVK-M#2 foliage.

15june-2019-svk-m2-foliage.jpg

Sweet Valley Kush plants ready to be fed and watered.

15june-2019-svk-ready-for-feed-water.jpg

Weighing out 0.5g of GHS mineral Grow powder feed for SVK-M#1 and SVK-M#2

15june-2019-ghs-mineral-grow.jpg

The plants are growing nicely and seem happy with the powder feed, I am well pleased with their progress so far.

More updates to follow soon, happy growing...

• Like 2