My Jamaican Sativas

DanMacGrowesalot

Hello Strain Hunter's and collectors,

Last fall I got seeds from a nice sativa that my friend brought back from Jamaica. I do not know what strain it is, but I will have to ask my friend for all he knows when we talk... I have several males and females, and all look almost exactly the same in veg. I put a male into my greenhouse several weeks ago and it is now about 4 ft tall and flowering in its original 2 liter container. I plan on crossing it with my original cut of DJ Short Blue Moonshine first, one of my favorite indica dominant plants of all time. It is almost a lost strain as of now. I also want to cross my males and females of the original Jamaican to get more seeds of the same strain. They look like the most stable genes I have ever seen, so they should breed together nicely and produce the same phenos. Here's some shots of the flowering male for now:

post-10251-0-93154600-1330254541_thumb.j

post-10251-0-38940600-1330254577_thumb.j

post-10251-0-24750900-1330254696_thumb.j

post-10251-0-72748200-1330254759_thumb.j

post-10251-0-83522500-1330254805_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yeah, I have seen thinner and longer leaves from a couple of Central American strains as well. I still expect a mostly sativa expression when I flower the girls. The fan leaves are a little stunted from being in the tiny pot and from not being fed for a while. It might express longer and thinner leaf traits if it had a larger pot. It also flowered in a short 3 weeks of greenhouse lighting, suggesting that it would be dominant male and possibly not as good for breeding, but I will breed several select males with the same female clones to see which offspring are the most favorable.

• Like 2

a male that might go Hermie , meaning produce female flowers, as well as pollen sacks.

they tend to be the more, from my research, resinous, and quite potentially eliminate the Female flower to hermaphroditism issue

something about shifting the male:female ratio potential.

one down side to this, is, they are sometimes Sterile (their pollen won't make seeds), but from all the breeding research i've done

Reversed males seem to be rather prized.

it is mentioned in one of the Strain hunter expeditions by Franco also

your third pic down, it kinda looks to me like you've got a cayx or two in that bunch of pods.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

yeah nice man, i've seen a very little man fully grown and i gotta say yours look very good man, looks like he has a very nice flower production.

Good luck with him man, did you already collect him?

yeah nice man, i've seen a very little man fully grown and i gotta say yours look very good man, looks like he has a very nice flower production.

Good luck with him man, did you already collect him?

I have collected and frozen some pollen for the future. I have already made seeds with an Aurora Indica plant that was wasting space in the greenhouse.

I have several more males and females of this strain; very consistent, similar to a landrace. They all exhibit thin leaves with blue-ish stems and a sweet and spicy scent. The flowers are blue to red and very abundant for a semi-neglected plant in a 2-liter starter pot. I talked to my friend who's sister got the buds in Jamaica; I should know as much as possible about what/where it came from soon... I have not flowered the rest yet, but I will post when I finally get things going again.

I wish the Jamaica documentary was already available; I wonder if the Hunter's came across any blue-ish, frosty males (?)...

Nice Jamaican male DanMacGrowesalot!!!

There is a lot of resin on the boy! From the first pics I would say it's a normal male, but the amount of resin on the last series of pics is surely more than normal for a pure male.

For sure it is not a reversed male (chemically reversed). But it can be a hermie (almost all male with a little female expression).

The only way to know how good it is is to cross it!

;-)

enjoy bro

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Keep up the good work, the makle looks great, what about the female ?

What some people don't get is that "landraces" in jamaica are mainly hybrids with strong Sativa features esp. in the high.

Seeds came from different regions a) indian workers bringing with them their gunjah and since there were just as many people from the north with the indicas for hash making/charras types and also those from the southern tropical indian regions with the famous Kerala weed, not suited for hashish production, but grown for buds - Sativas.. The other large group of seeds came along with the slave trade from mainly west african regions like Ghana etc.. We do not know exactly what type of grass was grown there, if it was indigenous - even pygmeans do smoke like crazy and they grow their own deep in the bushes or if it was from arabic traders, that brought indicas from morocco, lebanon or afghanistan, pakistan, india etc.).

Since the first indica type cannabis arrived in africa already thousand of years BC first with the punt expeditions of the egypt pharao it is ustill not documented how Sativas derived from Indicas - Was all Cannabis originally an Indica type - first found in China, cultivated for drug consumption near Herat in the Hindukush region as far as we know...or did the Sativa type originate in africa ?

The legends say the first weed was discovered on the grave of King Solomon in Ethipoia and that might be true - The Queen of Sheba from Sanaa might have introduced him to the use of cannabis for religious rites or they sacrificed sacred incent on his grave and after a while some plants grew.

To make a long story short. The ganja that was brought to jamaica was Indica as well as sativa. since it is a tropical climate with 12 hour daylight/night the Sativa genetics were the dominant, but still some indica characteristics survived. this is what makes the jamaican landraces so unique and nice . Unlike the south african sativas or the mexican they have that certain bonus developed over hundreds of year of cultivation. Nowhere else has so much marihuana been smoked for such a long period of time from slaves to indian workers and the slavemasters they all made sure that someone in the farm/community was growing quality weed and even the females and kids who did not smoke drank ganja tea - given already to very young kids when they are sick or crying or have no food...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are lucky enough to get a hold of 100% Jamaican Sativa, the last thing I would do is to cross it. I would keep it pure. There has been so much crossing over the years, the original landraces will soon be extint. Some of us appreciate a good sativa buzz. Some of the best I smoked was Jamaican back in the 70's. It was like walking into heaven. Weed made me laugh.

But if you were to go to Jamaica yourself and bought some pure sativa, there is no guarentees that it hasnt been crossed with indica. So you really have to know someone or carefully research what you going after.

I am a fan of Panama Red. Hands down the best sativa weed I ever smoked. Extreme intense high from that one. I hope Strain Hunters will go to Panama / Pearl Islands and get us some of those seeds. That strain is really worth preserving. Leaves are red, buds are red, tastes sweet like hash, very sticky. Makes my mouth water. I have seen some breeders online with what they are calling Panama Red. But after reading the fine print you soon find out that it has been crossed. Bummer.

I appreciate the work Strain Hunters are doing to help preserve our landrace.