STRAIN HUNTERS LIVE THREAD! - TRINIDAD - St.VINCENT

franco

Franco thanx for sharing your trek, the pictures make my eyes travel like each one could be blown up to be a big poster. Can u tell us a little about how they make there soil, like do they add fish or is the lava soil good enough to grow in? So you guys keep smelling carrots and celery so the strain from here is called Vegetarian Haze....?

Have a good time the rest of your trip!

Thanks Franco, only now i read yours answer about the Hero camera!

Maybe a exclusive footage of something you find special for us online hunters! Maybe lighting a joint for us with a some footage of a special resting place in some field!

Take care

DAY 8

Spoiled by Gerry, who proved to be a great bartender, we had a few drinks last night. Now it's payback-time, my head feels heavy. I need a cold shower and a cup of strong coffee, followed in a few minutes by a Red Bull and a joint; and immediately it feels a lot better. It's still early, so I jump in the pool, then make a few phone calls and check some news online.

We eat breakfast around 8, then we prepare our gear to go down to the beach. The boats are both there, and before everyone gets ready I take a swim; the water seems fake so clear it is, and for sure around 30 degrees. We load a good amount of food and water onboard before leaving the beach, then we head full-speed towards the main island.

The second speedboat, the one I board, is a Scarab with 2x300 hp 2-stroke engines; a real monster. It's a smuggler's dream, the Rolls Royce of sea-trafficking. There is no radio onboard, and no GPS system. Just a compass, a satellite-phone, two very large fuel tanks, and a lot of loading space. A boat like this can carry up to a ton of weed as far as 300 nautical miles, in a day. Today, it's carrying us. Pretty cool…

We reach the coastline west of Kingstown, and we go north, on the leeward side. The island is amazing seen from the sea: rugged mountains covered in thick jungle, and hundreds of cannabis fields scattered everywhere. Using a binocular, one can actually see the plants, and their stage of flowering.

We head into a secluded bay, and we approach a small floating peer that comes straight out of the rocks. We dock the boats, and unload all the equipment. There is a small river coming into the sea, and many local people are cooking, bathing, smoking weed. Most of them are planters, or boat-runners. The runners smuggle weed in small wooden boats, as far as Barbados and St. Lucia. Or they link up with guys with bigger boats, to reach further islands. It's incredible to see how this island has created a perfect production and export system, and how this tolerance towards cannabis has boosted high-end tourism in the area.

We start following the river upstream, until we reach a waterfall few hundreds meters away. Around us only steep rocks and the jungle. The roaring sound is intense and the water-spray creates a thick mist in the air. Under the waterfall a large, deep natural pool allows for a great swim. We spend a good half hour jumping in and out of the water, which is very refreshing, almost cold. We shower under the waterfall, it's nice to get rid of the sea-salt this way.

I try to take some underwater footage with one of the GoPros but the waterproof case has a leak; by the time I realize it, it's gone. Luckily the content of the SD card is still intact, so we don't loose any footage. But we have lost a GoPro, two to go. Soon it's time to walk back to the boats and keep going north, towards a beach where we can film a few landings for the documentary. We get news about a field that we can go visit tomorrow, through a new contact, and we are thrilled.

We don't have much time left before we have to fly back to Europe, and the more plants we can see the happier we are.

When the sunset is approaching, we land on a deserted beach. It's the ideal spot to film an interview with Dr. Green, and the camera crew gets busy. I spend my time helping them, then rolling a massive spliff which I smoke during the sunset. The filming finishes just before the sun goes down on the sea. It is a magic moment, we truly enjoy being here.

The boats are fast to take us back to the villa, and when we arrive we find one of the best dinners we had during this trip: shark and barracuda, grilled to perfection, with mash potatoes and grilled vegetables. It's one of the best fish I had in a long time. Gerry is spoiling us again.

After dinner we sit to smoke and chat, and we play some games of pool. My head hurts a bit, it must be the sun. So strong, so hot, it's amazing. One more drink, then goodnight!

Thanks guys for following our adventure!!! In a few days we will head back to Europe, and the hunt will be over... until the next one....;-)

Here are the pics from DAY 8:

sh801.jpg

sh802.jpg

sh807.jpg

IMG_3526.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

sh803.jpg

sh804.jpg

sh805.jpg

sh806.jpg

sh808.jpg

sh809.jpg

sh811.jpg

sh812.jpg

simonbarco.jpg

sh810.jpg

sh813.jpg

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

sh814.jpg

sh815.jpg

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

sh816.jpg

sh817.jpg

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

sh821.jpg

sh819.jpg

sh818.jpg

sh820.jpg

sh822.jpg

sh824.jpg

sh823.jpg

sh825.jpg

sh826.jpg

sh827.jpg

sh828.jpg

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

sh829.jpg

sh830.jpg

sh831.jpg

sh833.jpg

sh834.jpg

IMG_3713.JPG

sh835.jpg

sh836.jpg

sh837.jpg

sh838.jpg

sh839.jpg

sh840.jpg

sh841.jpg

sh842.jpg

sh843.jpg

sh844.jpg

sh845.jpg

sh846.jpg

IMG_3771.JPG

sh847.jpg

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

sh848.jpg

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

sh850.jpg

Franco, get the director to film you while posting here, maybe at the last day of the expedition, remembering you updated us Live each day of the Hunt! ;) Would be a great thumbs up for the loyal Online Strain Hunters to be mentioned on the final DVD, we are enjoying and living this almost as much as you guys there do!

lovely sunset pictures, and the best prize will be watching the full strain hunters documentary when its finish, and all of we are getting that price

thanks for updating every day with so good information and pictures of your adventure, keep enjoying the last days in paradise

Good morning from the Strain Hunters villa to everybody! LOL

This LIVE thing is really cool, we will do it again during the next mission for sure.

I truly appreciate all the following on the forum, the community is great. So I wanna take some time to reply to some of the questions:

@ Chronmon: the planters are blessed by the soil-composition and geography. The volcanic soil is one of the richest in the world, and the rain is abundant between June and November. The normal way to prepare the ground for planting is to chop down the jungle, burn the bush, then dig terraces where to plant. The spacing, as you can see from the pics, is done well. The planters prepare small piles of soil, about a foot high, then transplant a bunch of seedlings from the germination beds onto the piles in the field. This system allows water to run-off fast, without washing away any plant. When the young plants start growing, they select the best one of each pile and kill the rest. This leaves just one plant per pile.

@ Potent: the GoPro Hero is really a great tool for documentary-making. I am trying to convince the director to let us put some footage online but he doesn't like the idea, he wants to keep it for the documentary. We'll see if I'll be able to convince him to give a preview... ;-)

@ Gabbroff: grazie del supporto man... il concorso e' qui: http://www.strainhunters.com/portal/forum/strain-hunters-live-thread-and-contest
si inizia quando torniamo, tra qualche giorno... Admin vi terra' aggiornati.

@ Toaor and bvb: the no-serrated plant was amazing to see. But it's not a genetical trait, just a deformation. I will get few seeds of it anyway, we'll see what comes out in a year or two down the road... ;-)

@ Talking Monkey: thanks for the tip, next mission will get the hydrocools...;-)

@ Bluesteel: we recovered landrace from both islands we visited. We know that the genetics come from Colombia, likely Santa Marta region. But they are here inbreeding for a really long time (some say from the 1960s, some say from the time of the arawaks indians, before the spanish colonization....). We took seeds from several planters in several locations, to make sure we have a good representation in our hands. We also collect seeds from specific interesting crosses we find, it's always nice to see later on what comes out of it, maybe a champion is hiding there... ;-)

@ Romeu9: will surely mention the live thread in the DVD, and will give credit to the entire community, especially the ones who have been on the forum following our dreams and our conquers... ;-) respect bro

Today we are gonna go see the last fields of our mission; thanks to Dr. Green we got a new contact and everyone says he's got the biggest buds on the island. I can't wait....

now breakfast-time! full gas....

Awesome, thanks for the mention :) i will be sure to check out the GoPro Hero and the biggest buds on the island!! can't wait for that footage!

could be very interesting with the no-serrated plant for gorilla grows etc very cool enlightened lol

happy hunting guys